upgrading from earlier 3.0.9 version, which still works fine, but I need to update the php.

tmwell...@comcast.net

Feb 21, 2022, 8:18:07 PM2/21/22
to Gallery 3 Users
Trying to upgrade gallery to the 3.1.5.  Trying to upgrade first and then upgrade php, is this possible? I've got all the files on the server,, but when I rename to gallery and try to browse to it I just get not found 500 error.  The upgrading instructions have me going to a /upgrader file which also does not work.

 I moved the var directory from the old to the new installation.

Should I do this as a new installation rather than as an upgrade?  I was following the  upgrade instructions.

Thanks.  Not sure what I am missing

Does 3.0.9 run on the new php 7?  I didn't want to completely break the installation if not.

Thanks for advice.

J.R.

Feb 22, 2022, 5:45:31 PM2/22/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
No, gallery 3.0.9 definitely does NOT run on anything higher than PHP 5.6 -- so your idea of doing the upgrade from 3.0.9 to 3.1.5 while running under PHP 5.6 is definitely the way to go. The 3.1.5 upgrade script needs to access your old 3.0.9 installation. Gallery 3.1.5 will work on both PHP 5 and PHP 7.  Once the upgrade completes successfully and you get 3.1.5 up and running under PHP 5 -- and you are sure you no longer need access to the 3.0.9 gallery -- then you and can change your server account to run up to PHP 7.4

As for the other issues, have you thoroughly read the general gallery installation/upgrade instructions at:

http://codex.galleryproject.org/Gallery3:User_guide:Gallery3:Installing_and_upgrading#Upgrading#Upgrading

...they aren't specifically for 3.1.5 but they are still the steps you need to follow to take 3.0.9 up to 3.1.5 -- The only exception being when you update from PHP 5 to PHP 7 you should update the database connection type to mysqli from mysql in var/database.php file.

-- J.R.
--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/42db3ee7-ce20-4199-bf52-a7893cb74322n%40googlegroups.com.

tmwell...@comcast.net

Feb 22, 2022, 9:25:44 PM2/22/22
to Gallery 3 Users
Yes, I did read (and tried to follow) the general instructions for doing an upgrade. I unzipped all the files and placed them in a gallery.new folder
I moved the var folder, the theme, and modules that were not in the new installation.
On renaming the folder to gallery3, and trying to go to site.com/gallery3/index.php/upgrader the server responded with "500 Internal Server error"
That's where I am stuck.

J.R.

Feb 23, 2022, 12:43:39 AM2/23/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm... it seems like you're doing the right steps... I can only think that site.com is not resolving properly to the /gallery3 URL and that is why you are getting "500 Internal Server error" (but I'm only guessing). This upgrade script has been used by thousands of people to successfully upgrade from 3.0.9 to 3.1. so it's very unlikely that the script is the problem.

One thing you can try to get more info on what's happening is go to this website:
   https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/
and paste in

site.com/gallery3/index.php/upgrader
You'll either be told that the website is only down for you, or that the website is down for everyone. If it is "down for everyone" that means site.com/gallery3/index.php  is not being found on the internet at all for some reason... so of course the upgrade script cannot be triggered.

If it is being found then as an experiment, I would try doing an new install of Gallery 3.1.5  -- not an upgrade. Change the name of your current /gallery3 folder to
  /gallery315hold
to keep it from being changed during the experiment. Then recreate a new empty site.com/gallery3   folder and upload unzipped gallery 3.1.5 files into it. Then try to execute the standard new installation script by navigating to    site.com/gallery3/     <=note that there is no "index.php" referenced in this install url.

If you get the installation screen and complete it successfully you will be taken to a new, blank Gallery 3.1.5 website. If that happens then you know the server can make site.com/gallery3 with the version 3.1.5 files in it visible to the internet. You can then wipe out everything in      site.com/gallery3    EXCEPT for the folder you saved called   /gallery315hold.   Change the name of that folder back to   /gallery3  then navigate to it site.com/gallery3 again and see if the upgrade script runs this time.

-- J.R.

tmwell...@comcast.net

Mar 1, 2022, 12:47:33 AM3/1/22
to Gallery 3 Users
Thanks J.R.
As I get a chunk of time to work on this, do I create a new database with the new installation?

J.R.

Mar 1, 2022, 1:00:41 PM3/1/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Yes, if you are doing a brand new fresh install of gallery the first thing to do is create a brand new, empty SQL database on your server. Then, when you navigate to the URL of the new installation, the setup program will ask you for the name/location of the new database and the admin password for it. After all the questions on the setup form are answered correctly (be sure to make a note of the gallery administrator log-in credentials which you also enter in the form because you will need them when setup completes). When the form is completed the script will automatically access the new empty database and make all the changes to it necessary for it to run version 3.1.5 of Gallery. Finally the script will take you to the log-in page of your new Gallery installation where  you will enter the Gallery administrator log-in credentials you wrote down of earlier.

-- J.R.

tmwell...@comcast.net

Dec 13, 2022, 9:21:21 PM12/13/22
to Gallery 3 Users
Finally had a chance to try.  Now what I get is "Internal Server Error" for both trying to upgrade *or* trying a fresh plain vanilla install.  I might have to just give it up.  The old installation still works.

Theo