Problems upgrading from 3.0.9 to 3.1.5

Mark Phillips

Jan 7, 2022, 6:48:40 PM1/7/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
I followed these instructions
to upgrade from 3.0.9 to 3.1.5.

I get this message when trying to access

Gallery requires PHP 7.0.0 or newer (you're using 5.6.17-3)

When I type php --version at the command line, I get
PHP 7.3.31-1~deb10u1 (cli) (built: Oct 24 2021 15:18:08) ( NTS )
Copyright (c) 1997-2018 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v3.3.31, Copyright (c) 1998-2018 Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v7.3.31-1~deb10u1, Copyright (c) 1999-2018, by Zend Technologies

Any idea on how I can finish the upgrade? I am not a php developer, so I am lost.

Thanks!

Mark

Mark

Jan 7, 2022, 9:29:19 PM1/7/22
to Gallery 3 Users
I solved the problem.

Needed to enable php7.3 in apache and disable php5. Also hade to edit /etc/php/7.3/apache2/php.ini  to enable short_open_tag.

Mark

Mark

Jan 8, 2022, 1:07:11 AM1/8/22
to Gallery 3 Users
Still have an issue...I get this message on the Admin dashboard

You are using an experimental snapshot of Gallery 3.0+ (branch master) but your gallery3/.build_number file is missing so we don't know what build you have. You should probably upgrade so that you have that file.

How do I fix it? I downloaded the official 3.1.5 release.

Mark

Mark Phillips

Jan 8, 2022, 11:00:31 AM1/8/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
I found the .build_number and other .files in the download zip file, so I just copied them into the gallery installation and the build number is now correct. Not sure how they were left behind when I initially unzipped the gallery3-3.1.5.zip file, but it all seems to be upgraded now. It is too bad the build number does not include the version number 3.1.5.

Mark

--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/b2785527-ef28-4abd-a80d-4235652f39f4n%40googlegroups.com.

J.R.

Jan 9, 2022, 1:12:11 AM1/9/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

When you are logged in to the Admin Dashboard, you should see the version number and a ton of other system info displayed at the top of the right- hand column near the top of the page. If not, then something is still amiss. See image attached (I hope googlegroups will let it post... note I have not yet upgraded to 3.1.5 and, for what it's worth, am still using the GD graphics toolkit):

-- J.R.
Gallery Dashboard.jpg

Mark Phillips

Jan 9, 2022, 1:47:07 PM1/9/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
J.R.,

Thanks for the email, and the screenshot came through OK.

I have attached a screenshot of what I see on my admin dashboard.

As far as I can tell, the version number is saved in the .build_number file in the root directory of the installation. The .build_number file for the gallery3-3.1.5.zip file that I downloaded from (https://github.com/bwdutton/gallery3) looks like this:

; This file keeps track of the build number for the "master"
; branch of gallery3.  It's kept up to date by an automated
; process.  You don't need to edit it.  In fact..
;
;     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND!
build_number=434

Which is the information displayed on my admin dashboard.

I looked at the .build_number file in versions 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 on github (https://github.com/bwdutton/gallery3/releases), and the .build_file is identical for every release. The github account also says this file has not been changed since May 28, 2014 when the build_number was changed from 433 to 434.

There seems to be something amiss with the build numbers for each release. Or, am I using the wrong github account for my Gallery3 downloads?

Mark

--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
Screenshot from 2022-01-09 11-30-59.png

J.R.

Jan 10, 2022, 4:26:05 AM1/10/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

Maybe Brad can get something from your Dashboard image to help identify what the heck is going on with your installation. Ignoring any build number, if you are running Gallery version 3.1.5 the Dashboard definitely should not say version 3.0 on your Yet it says "You are using an experimental snapshot of 3.0 (build 434 on Branch Master)"
-- so something is clearly scrambled somehow.

-- J.R.

Mark

Jan 22, 2022, 2:12:03 PM1/22/22
to Gallery 3 Users
I am still having issues with my upgraded gallery 3.1.5.

Server_add is no longer working. I see this error in the log file:

2022-01-22 11:59:47 -07:00 --- error: Kohana_PHP_Exception [ 64 ]: Kohana_Core::main(): Failed opening required 'vendor/autoload.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php')
/var/www/rgallery3/gallery_rockets/modules/autorotate/helpers/autorotate.php [ 20 ]
#0 /var/www/rgallery3/gallery_rockets/system/core/Event.php(208): Kohana_PHP_Exception_Core::shutdown_handler(NULL)
#1 /var/www/rgallery3/gallery_rockets/system/core/Kohana.php(524): Event_Core::run('system.shutdown')
#2 [internal function]: Kohana_Core::shutdown()
#3 {main}

There is no autoload.php file on my system. How do I make one and where do I put it?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark

Jan 22, 2022, 2:43:36 PM1/22/22
to Gallery 3 Users
I made a fresh install of 3.1.5 from a fresh download of 3.1.5. I followed the upgrade instructions, and I server add is still not working.

The maintenance screen says that server add stalled, but resume does nothing. Only one image is uploaded, even if I select several images. There are no error messages in the log for this installation.

Can anyone help me sort this out?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark

Jan 22, 2022, 5:21:00 PM1/22/22
to Gallery 3 Users
I give up on 3.1.5. Reverting back to 3.0.9 and looking for a gallery3 replacement.

Mark

Andrew Shinn

Jan 22, 2022, 6:50:09 PM1/22/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Just to chime in here quickly, I recently upgraded my 3.1.3 (Pretty sure thats what I was on...) to 3.1.5. My install also announces itself as "Powered by Gallery 3.0+ (branch master, build 434)". Now, in my case everything works... and my gallery is literally an install dating back to the Summer of Code project release almost. I Shrugged my shoulders at this and moved on with life when I noticed it, but hey just backing up what Mark saw.

-Andrew

--
Andrew Shinn
ashinn(at)ecimulti.org

J.R.

Jan 23, 2022, 3:52:02 PM1/23/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

I understand your frustration, there seems to be something in your setup which we can't identify that is preventing 3.1.5 from running properly, even though probably a thousand or more people have upgraded to it from 3.0.9 successfully with none of the problems you've been reporting. I would make one final suggestion, which I've been holding off on since, quite understandably, you seemed determined to fix your existing installation. But now, since you would be completely starting over with some other photo gallery program anyway:

In a completely different section of your server, do a fresh install "from scratch" of the version 3.1.5 retrieved only from:  https://galleryrevival.com/   creating a completely new database for it. Temporarily redirect your current URL to that folder which would allow you to auto run the default setup process for a new installation. This should only take 10-15 minutes to get up and running.

Then log-in and check the admin dashboard and see if you now have the proper version number displayed in the top corner of the right-hand column. If so, stick with the default Wind theme for now and upload maybe 30 or 40 pictures into a couple of newly-created albums, with at least one sub-album in one of  those. Then try running some tests and see if the new installation demonstrates the same problems you've been having. If not, then you could just go ahead and re-upload all of your old images into the new installation and move ahead with Gallery 3 interface you already know and all of its available modules and options, instead of having to learn to use something else -- you would have to upload all of your images into some new program anyway. One of the best things about Gallery 3 is that there are far more options and customizations available than any other photo gallery program out there -- and I've tried pretty much all of them.

If this works, and you want to add some modules or a theme not included in the new install, then only add them one at a time and thoroughly test before adding another.

Best of luck!

-- J.R.

J.R.

J.R.

Jan 23, 2022, 4:30:22 PM1/23/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Andrew,

Some clarification about the message
"Powered by Gallery 3.0+ (branch master, build 434)"  --

When Brad Dutton first started working on "fixing" version 3.0.9 -- which was
designated "Gallery 3.0+ (branch master, build 434)" he was not working in any "official" capacity. The original gallery3 deveopment team had walked away years before and left 3.0.9 an orphan by 2014. When it became obvious that some changes had to be made to build 434"to keep Gallery 3 running in modern server environments, Brad stepped in with patches to do that. That "build 434" notification message is embedded into the core code. It's like a TV show where it says "Based on characters created by Fred Smith" even though Fred Smith has nothing to do with the show anymore. What matters is that on the admin Dashboard, in the far right colum in the upper right corner that the actual *version* number displayed matches the version you are currently running.

-- J.R.

Mark Phillips

Jan 24, 2022, 1:20:14 AM1/24/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
J.R.

I did what you asked (new download, new install, new database, new pictures), and have attached a screenshot of the dashboard. The version is still the same, but server add worked. I also did not install all of the modules I have installed in 3.0.9, as you asked

All we have proven is a new vanilla install of 3.1.5 sort of works. This test does not address the issue of upgrading from an existing site.

I can't see spending the time to upload the hundreds of pictures in my old site to this vanilla 3.1.5 site, when the future for gallery3 does not seem so bright.

Thanks for your help!

Mark

--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
Screenshot from 2022-01-23 17-11-42.png

J.R.

Jan 24, 2022, 3:47:00 AM1/24/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

What it proves is that Gallery 3.1.5 does work on your server -- including the Server Add module which was not working in your installation which was updated from 3.0.9 -- this proves that your original update from 3.0.9 to 3.1.5 did not execute properly for reasons we have not been able to identify. But also proves this update failure was a singular event for your system and gallery 3.0.9 installation -- because a fresh installation of 3.1.5 is now working on your system. The problem with the update not going through properly is therefore unique to your system and the particular installation of gallery 3.0.9 -- this is safe to assume because at least a thousand people have updated from 3.09 to 3.1.3 or 3.1.5 without any problems. This is good news for "the future of Gallery 3" but of course does not fix the problem of your original update failure.

It also means that -- assuming you wanted to -- you could try running the update from 3.0.9 again and maybe the result would be better this time. Or not. If the problem is in your somewhere in your 3.0.9 installation it probably wouldn't be.  And it's certainly understandable why you would not want to spend any more time than you already have on this approach.

But there's a critical difference now: With Server Add now working with your installation of 3.1.5 you could now directly copy the images from the 3.0.9 installation on your server into the good 3.1.5 installation on your server.
You would not have to manually upload each image individually with "Add Photo"-- so you could rebuild the site in the now-working version 3.1.5 fairly quickly.

But given how much time you've spent, your feeling that would be best to move on to something else is quite natural. But consider: Whatever other option you might choose, you are going to have to manually upload your hundreds of image into it -- taking far more time than using Server Add to get them into your now-working Gallery 3.1.5

So I have to disagree with your conclusion that the "future for gallery 3 does not seem so great."  That was certainly the case 3 years ago when it became obvious Gallery 3.0.9 would never run on PHP 7 and above without doing some serious patching and getting rid of its obsolete and unsupported Flash-based image uploader, which Brad undertook to accomplish. We now have version 3.1.5 which will run not only on PHP 7, but also PHP 8 -- that means Gallery 3  will continue working into the future -- for the next 5 to 8 years at least.

-- J.R.

Mark Phillips

Jan 24, 2022, 11:11:21 AM1/24/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
J.R.,

If 3.1.5 is truly working and rock solid, then why is the version reported incorrectly on the dashboard? What other regression bugs are there we don't know about? It is easy to say "my system has a problem" and walk away. I have been using gallery since 2012 on the same system, and each upgrade worked smoothly until now. I update the system packages on a regular basis, so I know that my system is working correctly.

I am sure there was a lot of effort expended to upgrade to PHP 7 and 8.  Kudos to the ones who climbed that mountain and succeeded. But what testing is done before a release is made? I don't see any folder on github that has any regression tests or any test folder to ensure the integrity of the code base as it is modified. I also don't see a lot of commits after 2013.

I would classify the project, today, as one for expert PHP coders (of which I am not a member) to use at their own risk. In the past, gallery was a project that "just worked". I don't say that to be disrespectful towards those few heroes who are working to resurrect the project. It is just my assessment after this latest attempt at an upgrade. Unfortunately, I need a solution that "just works".

As far as the effort of moving all my albums, will I have to do that with every release? It does not appear anyone is working on server add, so when that breaks, then what? At some point I will probably have to move to another platform anyway.

I will take my chances with a python or java based solution, which I can fix if something breaks.

Thank you for your time.

Mark

J.R.

Jan 25, 2022, 3:27:52 PM1/25/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

I honestly do not know why the version number in your fresh install of 3.1.5 does not say "version 3.1.5" on the dashboard -- it does on my dashboard -- but I had upgraded from 3.0.9 to 3.1.1 and then 3.1.3 in sequence before going to 3.1.5 so maybe that has something to do with it.

Please at the very top of the email group home page we describe what we are doing with Gallery 3 which is keep what was version 3.0.9 working for those being forced to moved into a PHP 7 to 8 server. This is why it is called version 3.1.5 and not version 4.0. For most people what we have does "just work" but that has not been your own experience

What we've tried to do your case is use basic trouble-shooting techniques to try to identify where the problem might be, since most others have had no problem. The results so far indicate that the cause of upgrade's partial failure seems to be somewhere in your old installation of 3.0.9 -- for example, it could be in a single index mismatch in one of your database files. These can happen anytime in any version of Gallery which is why there is a maintenance option on the dashboard. I have found that since ver. 3.1.3 that it happens far less now than it used to in version 3.0.9

The next step would have been to discuss how to run a very complete maintenance diagnostic on your 3.0.9 system to try to clean up any hidden problems in the database files and the entire 3.0.9 structure -- but that can take quite a long time, requires installing a special module to guarantee everything is included in the diagnostic scan and usually requires running several passes  -- and it's clear that you don't want to spend any more time on this. That's perfectly understandable and for someone with your  abilities and needs that you're probably right about trying some of the other photo gallery options.

-- J.R.

Info.RockEdge

Jan 25, 2022, 4:44:19 PM1/25/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

I also can not get the version number to be anything but reported incorrectly on the dashboard. I've been using G3 for like 10 years and made it to 3.1.13. On a local test server all new directories created by G3 3.1.15 have incorrect permissions from the start and are not writable. Server Add nor any direct individual uploads will work. This makes me hesitant to upgrade the production G3. Unless I go and manually adjust the permissions after the creation attempt then repeat the upload will it work.

To be fair I have seen this on some recent web servers with ZoneMinder as well. But there is something not correct in v 3.1.15

Info.RockEdge

Jan 25, 2022, 4:50:45 PM1/25/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

2010 I started with G3. Really think it is still the best solution out there. That's why I would like to track down why the newly created album directories are being created with permissions 640 and can not be written too, of course rendering image uploads impossible with v 3.1.15 I will test on several other web server combinations to find out more.

Cristian Granados

Jan 25, 2022, 4:59:51 PM1/25/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Maybe the hidden file named ".build_number" has something to do with this issue. In Mac users by default hidden files don't show as well as hidden files on the server. To  verify if this is the cause just simply enable show hidden files and verify if the file is loaded into the server.

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 15.52.38.png

--
Cristian Granados

J.R.

Jan 25, 2022, 5:27:40 PM1/25/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for reporting a specific problem... with version 3.1.5 being so new (not to mention PHP 8 as well), there is going to have to be a period of users reporting  problems so that fixes can be made. Detailed reports like this help that process along tremendously.

I am going to suggest that users who are happily running 3.1.3 right now under PHP 7+ who don't want to be on the bleeding edge of technology stick with that approach for now. Gallery ver 3.1.3 will work fine under PHP 7+ and 7+  that will remain an option on most servers for at least another couple of years... maybe do a completely new installation of version 3.1.5 in a separate location on your server with a "test URL" and see how it works for you before upgrading.

-- J.R.

On 1/25/22 15:44, Info.RockEdge wrote:

I also can not get the version number to be anything but reported incorrectly on the dashboard. I've been using G3 for like 10 years and made it to 3.1.3. On a local test server all new directories created by G3 3.1.15 have incorrect permissions from the start and are not writable. Server Add nor any direct individual uploads will work. This makes me hesitant to upgrade the production G3. Unless I go and manually adjust the permissions after the creation attempt then repeat the upload will it work.

Mark Phillips

Jan 25, 2022, 7:06:33 PM1/25/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
J.R.

With no disrespect to you or Brad, I disagree with your comment "That "build 434" notification message is embedded into the core code. It's like a TV show where it says "Based on characters created by Fred Smith" even though Fred Smith has nothing to do with the show anymore."

The build number is contained in a file at the root directory called .build_number. You can see it on the code listing on the github account (https://github.com/bwdutton/gallery3for the gallery 3 revival. You can also see, it has not been touched in 8 years.  If you look through the code where the build number is displayed on the admin page through /modules/gallery/views/admin_dashboard.html.php, modules/gallery/views/admin_sidebar_blocks.html.php, modules/gallery/views/admin_block_stats.html.php to modules/gallery/helpers/gallery.php, you will see the build information is read from the .build_number file and displayed on the admin page.

The gallery3 version comes from the same file (modules/gallery/helpers/gallery.php) as a constant at the top of the file. The file modules/gallery/helpers/gallery.php I downloaded for version 3.1.5 has from the github account has these values:
 21   const VERSION = "3.0+";
 22   const CODE_NAME = "";
 23   const RELEASE_CHANNEL = "git";
 24   const RELEASE_BRANCH = "master";

Hence the strange version and build number for my vanilla gallery3 installation. Again, looking at the github account for version 3.1.5, the file modules/gallery/helpers/gallery.php has not been touched in 8 years and contains the values above, which also explains why my installation says version 3.0+.

I edited the .build_number and gallery.php files, and now my vanilla gallery3.1.5 shows my version as "Frank and Bob" and the build number is 900.

It isn't magic. It is just not following a rigorous release process with some form of regression testing to make sure changes don't create regression bugs.

Mark

On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 2:30 PM J.R. <jrl...@thepostalzone.com> wrote:
--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
Screenshot from 2022-01-25 16-54-58.png

Brad Dutton

Jan 25, 2022, 10:58:22 PM1/25/22
to Gallery 3 Users
Hi,

Sorry for the delay. There is now an extra install step for some modules:
You need to run:
composer install
to install some dependencies that gallery relies on. Maybe this step shouldn't be under an "optional dependencies".

Thanks,
Brad

Brad Dutton

Jan 25, 2022, 11:10:08 PM1/25/22
to Gallery 3 Users
Hi,

When the next version is released I'll be sure to get these values set properly. I need to create some sort of release script/process to do this automatically. There was never any hand off of information, build scripts, etc, so I'm trying to fill in the gaps.

Thanks,
Brad

Mark Phillips

Jan 26, 2022, 12:26:04 AM1/26/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Brad,

I tried to run

composer install

at the top level directory where composer.json is located, but got the error message:

bash: composer: command not found.

I ran the command find . -name composer in the same directory, and there is no file names composer in the gallery 3.1.5 installation.

php --version

PHP 7.3.31-1~deb10u1 (cli) (built: Oct 24 2021 15:18:08) ( NTS )
Copyright (c) 1997-2018 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v3.3.31, Copyright (c) 1998-2018 Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v7.3.31-1~deb10u1, Copyright (c) 1999-2018, by Zend Technologies

Mark

Brad Dutton

Jan 26, 2022, 12:35:26 AM1/26/22
to Gallery 3 Users
Most linux distributions have a composer package, install that for your OS and try it again. If not it can be downloaded from here:

Mark Phillips

Jan 26, 2022, 1:09:10 AM1/26/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Brad,

OK, I installed the package composer. Thanks for the tip.

I got a big warning to not run composer as root - https://getcomposer.org/root. I can't run it as a normal user because a normal user does not have permission to write in my gallery3 directory. The user for my gallery3 installation is apache, www-data, which does not have an account for security reasons. Not sure how to run composer in this situation.

Mark

Kazuo Kuroi

Jan 26, 2022, 12:30:37 PM1/26/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Pardon the intrusion, but try:

sudo -u www-data /bin/bash

That should get you a shell.
[...]

Brad Dutton

Jan 26, 2022, 1:02:52 PM1/26/22
to Gallery 3 Users

Yeah, if that doesn't work to login as the web user you could:

1.In that same directory run where youruser is some user you can login as:
mkdir vendor; chown youruser:yourgroup vendor; su youruser; composer install

2. go ahead and run it as root anyway

Mark Phillips

Jan 27, 2022, 1:39:38 AM1/27/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestions.

I ran this as root:

composer install --no-plugins --no-scripts

Mark