Move gallery2 to another server

kd2he

Aug 6, 2021, 6:29:50 PM8/6/21
to Gallery 3 Users
GoDaddy updated their MySQL and my gallery2 is broken as a result. Is it possible to move the installation to another server (yahoo) where I have a site there that works perfectly .

mikt...@hotmail.com

Aug 7, 2021, 7:51:33 AM8/7/21
to Gallery 3 Users
Victor,

If you have server access you should be able to roll back to an earlier version on your site. Most probably it would be the php that changed and both G2 and the unmodified G3 wont run on that, G3.1 will run on php7 and uses sqli for the db
If you don't have access then ask the Techs at GoDaddy if they will do it for you so that you have a working G2. They won't like it but tell them you need it for a short while so that you can upgrade.
Once you have it working make a backup of your sql db and the full size photos then setup a neg G2 on the other site and upload the db and photos to it. Once it is all working put a permanent redirect from the GoDaddy site to the new one, that way everyone's links will update to the new site.

Then think seriously about changing to the new G3.1 as all hosts that have not done so will upgrade the php and you will be locked out.

I believe that you can do a server to server transfer but am not up on that method.
Others may chime in with a way to back it up even while broken but I don't know if that is possible.

Tony

J.R.

Aug 7, 2021, 2:36:16 PM8/7/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Victor,

I doubt that a change to MySQL is causing the problem -- it is more likely that Godaddy has changed your website hosting account to use PHP version 7.2 or 7.4 -- and gallery2 (and even Gallery 3.0.9) simply will not run on any version of PHP higher than 5.4. Gallery 2 was essentially obsoleted 10 years ago when the Gallery team came out with Gallery 3.0.9.

Moving your old G2 installation to another server is really not a good thing to try for a lot of reasons -- but the most important is that the Yahoo server where your other Gallery 2 site is still working will certainly change over to force you to run PHP 7.x very soon and that other site will  then stop working as well.

First Thing to Try: You get a Godaddy tech person on the phone (they still have excellent person-to-person customer support on the phone, which Yahoo does not). Explain the situation about your site not being able to run on PHP 7 and ask them if they can switch your account back to PHP 5.4 -- if they can, your G2 site will probably start working again. But they may resist that idea and will tell you that PHP 5.4 is obsolete and has security vulnerabilities, which is true. Even if they do switch your account back to PHP 5.4 it will only be a temporary solution because at some point Godaddy will insist that all of their hosting accounts must use PHP version 7.4.

What to do? Well, the latest version of Gallery is version 3.1.3 and it runs fine on PHP 7 -- plus it replaces the old Flash-based image uploader with a new HTML-based uploader and updates JQUERY files, etc. It's simple to do a new installation of Gallery version 3.1.3, but before you do, you must get all of the images stored in your old G2 installation downloaded onto your local computer. This can be done even if you can't get the actual G2 program running again if you have direct access to the file in your hosting account because the stored outside of the G2 database. Once you you have your images downloaded to your local computer, uninstall/wipe out the old G2 files from your server. Only then install Gallery 3.1.3 in their place and and use the Gallery 3.1.3 image upload system to upload the images from your local computer into the new Galley installation. Yes, this is time consuming but in the end probably the easiest thing for you to do. You can download Gallery 3.1.3 at:

https://galleryrevival.com/download.php

WARNING: Do not use one of your server's  "program installer" like SOFTACULOUS which auto-install programs for you -- those systems only have the old, obsolete version of Gallery 3.0.9 available and it won't do you any good to install that version of Gallery 3 because it won't run on PHP 7 either. You have to get the download from the link above and install that.

Or... to be completely honest... once you have downloaded all of your images onto your local computer, you might want to try using one of the other photo gallery programs which Godaddy supports because the Godaddy's tech people will be familiar with them and can provide some support.
They really don't know anything about Gallery 2 or Gallery 3. While we love  Gallery 3.1.3 here, for someone in your situation, using hosting services like Godaddy and Yahoo, going with something other than Gallery might be a lot easier.

-- J.R.

--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/6520ebcb-04d1-41a7-8ae0-9ae7da7b7155n%40googlegroups.com.

kd2he

Aug 10, 2021, 10:10:29 AM8/10/21
to Gallery 3 Users
Hello,

Thank you for your assistance in my dilemma. I have installed gallery 3. it seems to work ok in a new folder gallery3. I left the gallery 2 folders so that I don't delete the photos and albums that I have loaded before on the galley2. The theme that I would like to use doesn't seem to work and the options for various themes don't load. Godaddy said they could not roll back the version from PHP 7 to an earlier version.  Maybe I will try again with another tech support person.

Thanks for your suggestons

Victor

kd2he

Aug 10, 2021, 10:53:17 AM8/10/21
to Gallery 3 Users
I am having trouble logging in with the username and password given when I installed the gallery3. I tried using different browsers and that doesn't work or does resetting.

Brad Dutton

Aug 10, 2021, 11:05:40 AM8/10/21
to Gallery 3 Users
If you have access to the CLI there is a password reset command now:

If you set an email for the account you can use the "forgot password" link on the web page as well.

kd2he

Aug 10, 2021, 2:54:10 PM8/10/21
to Gallery 3 Users
Hi Brad,

I was able to sign in using the supplied username and password. Now that I am able to I wanted to import my gallery 2 file. When I enter the path I get the message that the embed.php doesn't exist. Is it that it is no longer acceptable on the Godaddy server due to the PHP 7 version. Also creating albums is not working so well.

Ill read over the other comments and see if I can somehow migrate the galley 2 to my yahoo server. I tried doing this but was not successful. I might have to try again with the suggestions given above.

Victor

Brad Dutton

Aug 10, 2021, 2:59:11 PM8/10/21
to Gallery 3 Users
Gallery 2 doesn't run on PHP 7. You can try one of the Gallery 2 PHP 7 versions people have made, I have no experience or recommendations on any of them:
https://github.com/pbobbenb/gallery2
https://github.com/bobosch/gallery2
Even then I'm not 100% sure how smooth the gallery 2 -> 3 upgrade is. You can try and it find out!

kd2he

Aug 13, 2021, 11:55:45 AM8/13/21
to Gallery 3 Users
The godaddy server is running PHP 5.3 on my site. I discovered this when I attempted to install the Coppermine app that they offer.  I got an error message that I need to upgrade to PHP 7.0. So it must be something else that has broken my Galley 2 site. I have no idea what might have caused this.

Victor

J.R.

Aug 13, 2021, 4:55:40 PM8/13/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Victor,

I'm afraid the only people who can help you with this situation is Godaddy Tech Support. Given them a call and confirm what version of PHP your account is running. If it is PHP 5.3 then explain to them that your gallery 2 installation was working and then suddenly stopped working a few days ago even though you made no changes to it, Try to put it on them to figure out what they did to your account a few days ago that broke Gallery 2. The truth is there is not anything we can do at this point, since all of us are running Gallery 3.1.3 on PHP 7 servers -- so we have no way to even to test for what  the "something else that broke" your Gallery 2 site might be.

-- J.R.

Josh Paul

Aug 13, 2021, 6:25:34 PM8/13/21
to Gallery 3 Users
Victor,

What JR says he is right. I own several dedicated servers and I decided to spin up a new VPS with PHP 5.4 and boy, Gallery 2 wasn't pretty, took me days to fix it so it's not worth it so I had to re install OS and installed PHP 7.4.13 and then installed Gallery 3, made some tweaks and it works pretty well. I think Gallery 2 can be bright back to life if people want have time to dive in and tweak the scripting but be honest, PHP 5.4 is gonna retire in 2022 then PHP will start focus on PHP 7.4 (their stable release) then the PHP 8 will be the next generation starting in Q3 of 2022 where we will see PHP 9 in 2023 which will be more powerful and more scability.

There said, I advise do NOT use Gallery 2 unless if you have your own VPS or Dedicated server and use as your own personal use, fine. If you want to look more professional, go with Gallery 3.

With my new Gallery 3 hosting, we will be using PHP 7.4.13 on NGINX so it'll be more secured and reliable. I'll post that more soon this month.

~J