Gallery 3 Raspberry Pi Zero image

Bill Kreutz

Feb 16, 2022, 9:55:49 PM2/16/22
to Gallery 3 Users
Hello Gallery3 community. I offered awhile ago to set up an image file of a gallery3 server on a Raspberry Pi Zero. I finally got around to it - the link is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O4_avwoW8yHT2NAH1XoKq3BjpdIw7QEf/view?usp=sharing

I verified that it works when written to an SD card using Raspberry Pi Imager's custom option.

The login credentials are admin/password.
It works perfectly when the Pi Zero is connected to one of these: https://www.amazon.com/MakerFocus-Raspberry-Required-Provide-Connector/dp/B077W69CD1

It creates a quick ethernet-over-USB connection and once the pi is booted, the Gallery3 server is accessible by simply putting "gallery" into your browser address bar.

Michael J. Kupec

Feb 17, 2022, 5:59:49 PM2/17/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

Just gave this a try using a Pi 3b (not b+) Rev 1.2.  Loads and runs great!

I see there’s modules that since they may not be available for the Pi are not loaded.

iE: Imageagick & GraphicsMagick (are they available under Intel Linux?

Also FFMpeg unavailable.

Since this is just a trial run on a extra 3B I have, I’ll give it try with install these over next couple days.

I was just thinking of trying this on one of my spare 3B’s just to try importing my Gallery2 data before actually loading Galley3 on my web site. I actually have a Gallery 2 site running in house with my old Galley 2 files.  Basically installed an older version of OpenSuse & PHP so I could have info on all my images available. Now with a working G3 setup here offline at home, I can get all set up before pushing all out public.

Good job Bill!

BTW: does the GUI on the Pi work? Tried default user “pi” with “password” and it appears to take it but screen blanks then comes back to login.

Also, if one wants to update binaries, the account “pi” with default “password” is used to SSH into , then you can do sudo apt-get update & sudo apt-get upgrade to update all.

Michael J. Kupec

michae...@verizon.net

--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/c91068e2-24c8-4999-bf78-666a384c83adn%40googlegroups.com.

Michael J. Kupec

Feb 17, 2022, 6:19:33 PM2/17/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

Additional note for those trying with a Pi 3 or 4

For network access, I just plugged the Pi into my home network and it picked up a IP address for the built in interface.  Once booted, I could pin “gallery” to get it’s IP address. Once SSH in, if you do a “ip address” you see that ‘eth0’ isn’t used but actual name of the device ID for the NIC.  I need to get the wireless configured so I don’t have to physically plug it into my network. That will just require the power pack to be plugged in for it to work.

Oh, and the reason the session login fails is because it appears there’s no .xsession file, session managers, window managers or terminal emulators found.

Not sure if when Bill built this, he intended it to be that way for speed a you really just want it to be a web server. J

HTH

Michael J. Kupec

michae...@verizon.net

Bill Kreutz

Feb 18, 2022, 10:03:27 PM2/18/22
to Gallery 3 Users
Sorry I didn't reply in-line. I built it on raspberry pi OS lite, so there is no desktop environment. It can be easily installed using these commands in terminal or over ssh.
sudo apt install xserver-xorg
sudo apt install raspberrypi-ui-mods
sudo apt install lightdm
sudo reboot

I forgot to mention - I also have Cockpit installed on it. You can reach Cockpit, including its handy terminal emulator, by going to https://gallery:9090/ User name pi, password raspberry.

MICHAEL KUPEC

Feb 19, 2022, 3:01:31 PM2/19/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
No problem, had all installed for the Pi desktop shortly after I posted my prior email. Once I got into the desktop I was able to configure the Pi 3’s wireless.

Also added root access as what I do on all my Pi installs and phpMyAdmin. Grabbed the account and password you used for the sql database and was able to connect via phoMyAdmin browser.

Figured you went the lite route, just saw that the Xserver shell came up on the display I connected to the Pi. Kind of thought it’d just be a cli prompt.

Sent from my iPhone