Importing Gallery 2 to 3

Otto Kalata

Nov 29, 2020, 3:25:51 AM11/29/20
to Gallery 3 Users
Bear with me here as I'm pretty much a beginner with all of this.

I used to have Gallery 2 running, but my web host stopped supporting the older versions of PHP, so I can't run my gallery anymore.

I did manage to install Gallery 3, and have that up and running, which is great.

The problem is I can't get the import Gallery 2 function to work. I copied the old gallery over to the new install, and I can get as far as locating the embed.php file, but after that, I get a "This page isn't working" HTTP 500 error message.

I'm not very well versed in all of this (to be honest i pretty much muddled through installing Gallery 1, 2, and 3), so any suggestions on what's going on are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Otto

JR

Nov 29, 2020, 12:02:45 PM11/29/20
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Otto,

Which version of Gallery did you install -- the latest, version 3.1.3? That is the only one which will run on PHP 7. Unfortunately, as far as I know, your old Gallery 2 installation must be running in order for the import function to work. But maybe someone in this group knows of a way around that. Your hosting account must be running PHP version 5.5 or nothing will work. If your current account is *already* running PHP higher than 5.5 you may be able to do this: Many hosting servers allow you  to to set your account to run the old version 5.5 of PHP you might try setting your account to that and seeing if your old Gallery 2 will start working again. The new version 3.1.3 of Gallery will also run under PHP 5.5 -- so might be able to do the migration and if successful then set your account back to PHP 7.2 and it will continue to work. Talk to the technical support people at your hosting service and see if you can get your account to run PHP 5.5  on a temporary basis.

If you do get your old Gallery 2 installation running, check to see if it is  version 2.3.2 -- if not, Then you must upgrade to version 2.3.2 before trying to do the import because the Gallery 2 Import function in Gallery 3.1.3 will only work with Gallery version 2.3.2 --
you can still get the 2.3.2 release  at:

http://codex.galleryproject.org/Gallery2:Download

There is an overview of migration instructions at the old Gallery Project website:

http://codex.galleryproject.org/Gallery3:Modules:g2_import

...and most important, you should do a search through the messages on our gallery-3-users website with keywords like "upgrade 2.3.2" and "migrate gallery", etc. There are quite a few posts with tips and instructions from people who have successfully done a migration from Gallery 2.3.2

One thing to consider: If your old gallery did not have a whole lot of images in it, the easy thing to do is simply upload the old images one at a time directly into your new Gallery 3.1.3 version.

--J.R.

Damien Andrews

Nov 29, 2020, 12:08:39 PM11/29/20
to Gallery 3 Users
This is useful information... Where can I check the exact version of G2 that I have?

Damien Andrews

Nov 29, 2020, 6:29:14 PM11/29/20
to Gallery 3 Users
I found my Gallery 2 version number! It is 2.3.2!

Here is how to check the version number of Gallery 2:
http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2:Upgrading
Browse to your Gallery 2 installation in your web browser, log in as an administrator, click the "Site Admin" link then click the "Maintenance" link. You'll be presented with a list of maintenance tasks. Next to the task marked System Information click the run now link then look for a line marked Gallery version.

JR

Nov 30, 2020, 7:06:24 PM11/30/20
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Otto,

I confused. I thought  your installation of gallery was not running -- but you say that you were able to log-in as Administrator? That can only happen if you gallery installation is working.

-- J.R.
--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/e388847e-a67d-454a-ad93-a1ec8894a65cn%40googlegroups.com.

Otto Kalata

Dec 3, 2020, 8:52:53 PM12/3/20
to Gallery 3 Users
Hi JR-

Appreciate your taking time to reply.

I was unaware that I needed a running version of Gallery 2 in order to do the migration. My hosting service wants an extra $8/month for PHP 5.5 support, so I guess I will have to bite the  bullet for a month to get the old Gallery running again, then port it over to Gallery 3.1.3 (which I already have up and running on my site).

I think you're getting my original message confused with Damien's reply as I am only able to log in to Gallery 3, not Gallery 2.

Thanks again,

Otto

JR

Dec 4, 2020, 1:14:34 AM12/4/20
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Otto,

Yes, I did get your post confused with Damien's. Sorry.

Here's the best approach for you to take:

On your current server, pay the extra $8 to get it to run PHP 5.5 -- then:

If you already have the latest 3.1.3 version of Gallery running on your current server it should *still* run, even *after* you drop back down to PHP 5.5 -- if it does not, then delete 3.1.3 from your current server running PHP 5.5 and reinstall it there. Again, the installation of 3.1.3 should work on your current server running PHP 5.5

Now you have *both* version 2.3.2 and 3.1.3 running on your server under PHP 5.5 and you can do the G2 import into version 3.1.3

If it is successful, then you're done. Set your server back to PHP 7.4  -- or 7.2 if your host doesn't support 7.4 -- and your version 3.1.3 of Gallery -- now containing everything from your old 2.3.2 Gallery -- should continue to run fine.

Before deleting the old 2.3.2 Gallery installation from your server, check to see if everything came over into Gallery 3.1.3 -- but be aware: Some users report that a few things do *not* import from version 2.3.2. into 3.1.3 -- I think the "view counts" and maybe the comments do not import into 3.1.3 -- anyone who has successfully migrated from 2.3.2 to Gallery 3.1.3 should speak up here because I have never needed to do the G2 import myself.

If you then want to move your 3.1.3 Gallery to another server you can do that the normal way, following the instructions here:

http://codex.gallery2.org/index.php/Gallery2:FAQ.html#How_can_I_move_my_Gallery_installation_from_one_server_to_another.3F

-- J.R.