Directory Structure import

James Strickland

Dec 21, 2020, 6:16:45 PM12/21/20
to Gallery 3 Users
Greetings all,

I tar'd my images folder from my old website.

Can I import my photos & albums using the same directory structure? Where a folder is an album, just like it was before.

I did not back up the database, only the image directory. Importing them album by album is quite tedious... Not concerned about photo names or descriptions...

Thanks,
James

Adrian London

Dec 21, 2020, 6:21:28 PM12/21/20
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
There’s an included module called Server Add. I’ve never used it but it should do what you want. It imports from a folder structure and creates albums from folders.

Steven P. Ulrick

Dec 21, 2020, 8:39:18 PM12/21/20
to gallery...@googlegroups.com, James Strickland
Hello, James

I believe that the "Server Add" module should do the trick. I am no
guru, but if you need any help, I will be glad to do what I am able...

Steven P. Ulrick
> --
> WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO
> LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group.
> If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your
> reply to the original author (not recommended).
>
> To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
> gallery...@googlegroups.com
>
> To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users>
> ---
> Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
> an email to gallery-3-use...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:gallery-3-use...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/bb8fee07-f131-4b43-b912-f9d82ba01b52n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/bb8fee07-f131-4b43-b912-f9d82ba01b52n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

James Strickland

Dec 21, 2020, 9:09:24 PM12/21/20
to Gallery 3 Users
Thanks All,

I'm going to look for that and give that a shot... I'll report the results...

-James

Chris Wallace

Dec 22, 2020, 2:53:46 PM12/22/20
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
I use server add on 5 of my 6 primary sites/installs.

Works wonders. You can prebuild the folder structure also.

Hey everyone...I'm back...in some capacity. Been reading all the stuff coming through. Lots of great progress.

I have a developer working with me now another project...totally different framework, but I am also going to have him dig into some of the items directly in my G3 installs. He is a wizard. I hope he can wrap his head around this and finalize a finished responsive theme. Mine work prefect now...but I have additional features I need to work properly...

Anyway...glad to have some time to work on these again...looking forward to it.

Chris
--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/F1D899C2-EC57-4C92-9DD6-BEBA3AA1E4D2%40gmail.com.

JR

Dec 22, 2020, 6:56:48 PM12/22/20
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
James,

As others have said the "ServerAdd" module which comes pre-installed in Gallery 3 is precisely what you need and *does* work. But it requires some figuring out to make it work. Still worth the effort if you have more than 500 images of so. There is only one tutorial on using ServerAdd -- and it is complete -- but not as clear as it could be on some points. It does require that you have file-level access to your hosting server, of course. Basically you:

1) Install Gallery 3.1.3 on your server -- it will create an empty /var folder.  The /var folder is the physical space on your server where all of your images will reside for use by Gallery 3.

2) Unpack your tar into a new folder on your hosting server that you have full access to. Best to create a new folder specifically for this and name it something like "oldimages"

3) Following the instructions below, run ServerAdd as a stand-alone app on your server and user it to bulk-load images from /oldimages into the Gallery 3 /var folder.

The concept is simple enough, getting to work take some experimenting.

The instructions are here:

http://codex.galleryproject.org/Gallery3:Modules:serveradd

-- J.R.