Responsive Template for Gallery 3

Jagan Pillarisetti

Nov 30, 2019, 7:27:21 PM11/30/19
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone had any success with a fully responsive template?

Are there any out there? I am about to hack myself one working with the widewind theme - will share it when when I have made some progress.

But dont want to re-invent the world should something already exist

regards

Jagan

Jagan Pillarisetti

Dec 1, 2019, 12:12:26 AM12/1/19
to Gallery 3 Users
For what its worth, this is the responsive version of wide wind that i managed - tests decent on chrome book and android devices

I had to take some short cuts to it- the black menu bar is a static borrowed from a wp template.  The actual gallery menu bar is pushed out of the way. the moment a user logs in the responsiveness gets thrown out the door.

There is other work related to the modal windows etc that needs to be done - but for the common visitor who doesnt need to login, it paints well on a mobile device ..

JR

Dec 1, 2019, 3:52:57 AM12/1/19
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Jagan,

Nice work... this is the first working responsive theme I've seen! People have been trying to do this for quite a while. As you've discovered, there is a lot about the way Gallery3 was first created (over 10 years ago) that is "fixed length" and "fixed position" which make a truly responsive theme hard to pull off. That's a nice trick, managing to push the Gallery menu "out of the way".

Were you able to do this all within the .css files? Or did it take modifying some of the .php code as well?

-- J.R.
--
To send a message to this group, use the email address of:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---

Jagan Pillarisetti

Dec 1, 2019, 10:23:54 AM12/1/19
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
I had to do it with both the .css file as well as the .php files that exist in the widewind theme.  As of now - its only three files in the template directory

/themes/widewind/css/screen.css
/themes/widewind/views/page.html.php
/themes/widewind/views/album.html.php

There is an external reference to the WP CSS file for the responsive menu. At some point i will figure out the elements i need and import it into the current css.

As mentioned before once a user logs in the additional user options  messes up the presentation (its still responsive though!).. eg the individual menu options appear like in the below images  .
the main menu that is moved down is still functional and renders normally . its just that its not the responsive type!

But I am the only admin/user of this gallery so i can live with that - this wont work with gallery users who have a larger number of users as it may get annoying for them.

I am attaching the three files here should anyone wants to go with it - please do remember to back up your current files in the locations mentioned above!

image.png
image.pngimage.png

The India-Pakistan Air War of 1965 (Manohar 2005) | Eagles Over Bangladesh (Harper Collins 2013)   | The Westland Wapiti in the Indian Air Force (USI/CAFHR 2014) | Bharat-Rakshak.com | http://www.facebook.com/Bharat-Rakshak-Indian-Air-Force/
widewindresp.zip

FireFly Goods

Dec 1, 2019, 3:09:57 PM12/1/19
to Gallery 3 Users
Well yahoo is not accepting e-mail from me again. I am hping to have my DNS servers back in full operation so google and yahoo and the big names all like my frickin' e-mail again.

ANYWAY...This is what I have been needing for YEARS...I tossed it on my server and noticed there is some hardcoded links and such I believe. I only had a few minutes to poke around and check some stuff. I am going to drop a clean install on a domain and test this and see if I can edit out what I need...

I will report back my findings...!!

Super excited to finally have this in production!!

Chris

FireFly Goods

Dec 1, 2019, 3:12:48 PM12/1/19
to Gallery 3 Users
Forgot to add...my current test domain for it is randomdailymemes.com. It has a significantly modified install right now as well. A clean install is what I need to put it on for testing.

Chris

JR

Dec 1, 2019, 4:34:43 PM12/1/19
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Jagan,

Unfortunately, googlegroups does not appear to allow file attachments to messages to be sent to the group (it's a security issue). But if you send them to me:  jrlist  at  thepostalzone.com  then I can take a look at them and -- if you wish, I can post them to a hidden place on my website where people can be directed to go to download them if they want to experiment.

-- J.R.

JR

Dec 1, 2019, 4:42:23 PM12/1/19
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

Your site at randomdailymemes.com seems to be very "response". Do you have the same problem Jagan mentions when you log-in -- meaning, do the responsive aspects go all wonky?

-- J.R.

On 12/01/19 3:12 PM, FireFly Goods wrote:
Forgot to add...my current test domain for it is randomdailymemes.com. It has a significantly modified install right now as well. A clean install is what I need to put it on for testing I am going to drop a clean install on a domain and test this and see if I can edit out what I need...

I will report back my findings...!!

Super excited to finally have this in production!!
Chris

On Saturday, November 30, 2019 at 7:27:21 PM UTC-5, jaganpvs wrote:
Has anyone had any success with a fully responsive template?

Are there any out there? I am about to hack myself one working with the widewind theme - will share it when when I have made some progress.

But dont want to re-invent the world should something already exist

regards

Jagan
--
To send a message to this group, use the email address of:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---

FireFly Goods

Dec 1, 2019, 4:58:38 PM12/1/19
to Gallery 3 Users
Yes...login messes it up.

I will do a clean install. I have SIGNIFICANTLY hacked my main site to make it work for my needs...forced advertising spots, forced sizing...really hacked to hell...lol...

I only had about 10 minutes earlier as we had a birthday party for my 7yo this afternoon. I will get back on it tonight hopefully. So far I am super stoked that someone managed to break this code once and for all...lol...

Chris

On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 4:42:23 PM UTC-5, J.R. wrote:
[...]

Jon Schewe

Dec 1, 2019, 6:28:37 PM12/1/19
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
FYI I received the attachments that Jagan sent to the list.

Jagan Pillarisetti

Dec 2, 2019, 8:58:14 PM12/2/19
to gallery...@googlegroups.com, jrl...@thepostalzone.com
Did some minor re-work, including copying the dependent WP files into a separate directory.

This zip file has some cleaner files for re-use.
http://www.rafcommands.com/galleries/responsive.zip

Upload in your widewind folder
\css
\---screen.css
\extras (This is the new directory with all the bits and pieces to make the black info bar work)
\ ---bootstrap.min.css
\ ---style.css
\ ---jquery.js
\ ---scripts.js
\ ---header.png (replace with your header image)
\ ---page.html.php  (depending on where your gallery is - you should fix the five  lines that refer to the files in /extras/ sub directory - also update the link placeholders in the hardcoded info bar..)
\ ---album.html.php

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/4fbc7551-e57a-4253-91f6-0ce61d09be14%40googlegroups.com.

Chris Wallace

Dec 2, 2019, 10:25:12 PM12/2/19
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG I just about flipped out when I ran your template through the verifier!!

PLEASE toss me a link to this so I can throw it on my servers and test it…!!

Chris

--

To send a message to this group, use the email address of:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---

Chris Wallace

Dec 2, 2019, 10:25:17 PM12/2/19
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

I tossed it on my server in place of one of my test sites and it eventually links back to YOUR site within the code…

There is some stuff hardcoded in there that would need removed…??

I love the layout of your finished product and would love to get mine to be responsive. I have a hacked version that passed compliance, but was never a final solution. Was just to keep me indexed on google properly… I am the ONLY user on my site as it is just a memes site.

RandomDailyMemes.com is the test URL I am using right now.

Chris

image001.png
image002.png
image003.png

Jagan Pillarisetti

Dec 2, 2019, 11:14:21 PM12/2/19
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

I checked the test site - it still has the old page.html.php with the hardcoded links in it.
eg.. this still appears in the template

<li id="menu-item-2" class="menu-item menu-item-2"><a href="http://www.rafcommands.com/forum">RAF Co

etc.. it should not be there.

The zip file i had provided earlier should have a cleaned up template with some random test links in it. Can you verify that the current page.html.php is updated with the newest one in the zip i have given.

make sure you upload the new "extras" folder into your widewind folder .. (Along with css and views folders)..

And yes - it passes the google mobile readiness test!
image.png

JR

Dec 3, 2019, 2:37:29 AM12/3/19
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Jagan,

Nice. This new .zip and the clear instructions in your message make getting this up and running a breeze. I hope I can find time during this busy end-of-year season to get into it... maybe figure out the log-in issue. Thanks again!

-- J.R.

FireFly Goods

Dec 3, 2019, 8:23:42 PM12/3/19
to Gallery 3 Users
I will slot some time to go through the process and files and verify that I have updated everything with your latest files. I should have a few hours tomorrow night to focus on it.

You are doing tremendous work and I cannot evn begin to thank you for this...I think I found you on facebook...accept my friend request. Would love to chat directly about the responsive template...

Chris

[...]

cwallace

Dec 6, 2019, 6:35:22 PM12/6/19
to Gallery 3 Users
Ok...so I got some time this evening and have isolated a new domain for testing. I have installed a fresh clean install of the 3.0.9 and tossed the jag-responsive files in place.

TopDailyMemes.com is the domain. Feel free to poke at it from your side. I will gladly give access to the servers if anyone needs.

I edited the logo. I have touched nothing else.

Issues I currently have:

PHP is an OLD OLD version...it was the last version 3.0.9 ran on.

My DNS server is still jacked up and google doesn't like it.

I will run through my testing of what I can tomorrow once a lot of the new settings and changes on my servers propogate over the next 24 hours.

I hope to have all new hardware and entirely new updated servers in place VERY soon. They are physically in place...they just need to be configured and attached to the network. I am doing this while still maintaining a LIVE server presence on the old machines...it is going to be interesting...I have already lost 3-4 domains worth of e-mail and other crap that I forgot was out there bfore I killed them off...lol..oops. Owell...

Once I get everything updated and a responsive site in place I have no doubt my REAL revenue stream will return on my primary site...

I am writing a check to someone after all of this!! I know it...lol..if nothing else I will spin up a standalone server and give as much FREE hosting to those in need as I can...

Thank you again EVERYONE working to bring this software package back to life...

Chris

cwallace

Dec 6, 2019, 6:37:04 PM12/6/19
to Gallery 3 Users
I should note I can strip these domains and do fresh installs as needed for testing. I have another 60+ domains that can be used for testing also. Most of which will just be duplicate memes sites...yes I am one of those annoying asshats that blankets the world with them...:-D

Chris

cwallace

Dec 6, 2019, 7:30:59 PM12/6/19
to Gallery 3 Users
SOOOOOO...after all that I realized that I could in fact install the 3.1.0 on my servers...as my other current test domains are running it...

So I kill the domain at the server level and started from scratch...

Fresh clean install...

still old php:

PHP Version 5.3.6

latest 3.1.0

Gallery 3.1+ (development version)
==================================

TopDailyMemes.com

NOTES: I have no analytics or adsense coded in anywhere yet. I am going to add the analytics mod when I get a minute.

In the meantime...my 7yo needs to get owned in Mortal Kombat for an hour or so then I should be back at it..:D

Chris

JR

Dec 7, 2019, 2:01:51 PM12/7/19
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

This sounds great -- but is there any particular reason you went with installing a fresh version of 3.0.9, instead of the new stable version 3.1.0? I mean, 3.0.9 is totally obsolete... won't run on anything higher than php 5.4 and has that ancient Flash-based image uploader -- not really the best test bed for the modern digital environment.

-- J.R.
--
To send a message to this group, use the email address of:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---

JR

Dec 7, 2019, 2:06:53 PM12/7/19
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

Oops... you answered my question just as I posted it. But still, if you have the option to run even php 5.4.0 I would do that -- there is a difference. And 3.0.9 runs fine under php 5.4.0 so your existing 3.0.9 galleries will still work.

No one has reported losing anything when they simply install 3.1.0 over 3.0.9 so if you backup everything first (just in case), you should be able to update the existing sites and go to php 7.2

-- J.R.
--
To send a message to this group, use the email address of:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---

cwallace

Dec 7, 2019, 2:15:40 PM12/7/19
to Gallery 3 Users
Because I am an unorganized raging idiot...:-D

I corrected it...lol. Dumped everything on the domain and started from scratch.

I also spun up BestDailyMemes.com which was WP based until a few months ago. WP is extremely slow for images...glad I can get away from it. :)

I am trying to get advertising in place. Taking notes as best I can.

Chris

On 12/06/19 6:37 PM, cwallace wrote:
[...]

cwallace

Dec 7, 2019, 2:17:59 PM12/7/19
to Gallery 3 Users
Yeah. I am thinking I might try to update OhSoHumorous.com (which is my primary and most imortant site). It is 3.0.9 on the old PHP I listed. I might try to update that as well.

I am working on some test methods to make it happen. I have a LOT of hard coded hacks and site verification stuff that has to be present for social media and such. Som much compliance anymore...

Chris
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to gallery...@googlegroups.com.

cwallace

Dec 7, 2019, 2:40:26 PM12/7/19
to Gallery 3 Users
Are there any instructions for exactly how to set up the server add mod? I have never actually attempted it and would like to attempt to add several hundred folders into one of the test domains.

All it has for setup is a 'path' entry. I added one. CHMOD to 777 for access (probably not correct, but it worked). Just don't see anything from that point. Still playing around with it.

Chris

cwallace

Dec 7, 2019, 2:54:37 PM12/7/19
to Gallery 3 Users
Ignore server add question...figured it out. Page hadn't been refreshed. Working across multiple browser 'personalities'

I do think I have managed to populate several thousands images so far. I estimate I have approximately 90k memes in the archives right now.

Chris

JR

Dec 7, 2019, 3:45:17 PM12/7/19
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

Glad you got server add working. Just for reference, there is a page of what seems to be fairly complete instructions at:

http://codex.galleryproject.org/Gallery3:Modules:serveradd

Since you just set up server add, it would be great if you could take a look at the above and see if there's anything to clarify or add to it -- I'm planning of posting a copy of those instructions on a new website eventually, one that contains updated version of some of the most important pages for the old codex. About 8 years ago I used server add successfully but now remember nothing about how I did it -- yet it is a invaluable module for those with a lot of images to get from one installation to another..

I forgot that your
OhSoHumorous.com site has a lot of modifications and hard links, so my suggestion that you could overwrite with 3.1.0 is probably not such a good idea for that site -- unless you kept a complete log of the changes you made as you went? No, neither did I when I extensively modified my Grey Dragon template and a few areas of Gallery 3.0.9 -- Dang it. Now I'm hesitating to upgrade one of my sites to 3.1.0 for that reason.

-- J.R.