Upgrade Gallery 3.0.9 to 3.1.3

Stefan K.

Feb 11, 2021, 5:47:40 AM2/11/21
to Gallery 3 Users
Hi
I would like to upgrade my gallery from version 3.0.9 to version 3.1.3, because flashplayer no longer works. I follow the instructions below.

Unfortunately the upgrade doesn't work, I copied the var file in the new folder and didn't replace it, is that the problem?

I am always redirected to my hoster when I enter the appropriate link.

Can someone help?
Stefan

JR

Feb 11, 2021, 6:15:08 PM2/11/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

Stefan,

Did you do a completely new install of Gallery 3.1.3 into a totally different location than your old Gallery 3.0.9 was in? If so, did you try using the new 3.1.3 installation first to make sure it was working before copying your old 3.0.9 /var into the proper location in Gallery 3.1.3? That should work. And was your server already running PHP 7 or higher? Since Gallery 3.0.9 only works on a version of PHP 5 the recommendation is to do the upgrade under PHP 5 and only if everything worked fine and 3.1.3 is running properly with your old images should you then change the server to PHP 7.

Since there are several ways to do the upgrade, perhaps it would be best if you gave us a step-by-step outline of what you did -- the instructions in the old Gallery Codex could be clearer and more precise then they are and can be misinterpreted -- so knowing exactly the steps you went through could tell us something.

-- J.R.

--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/99f2c504-0399-4abb-8e54-c9d77600645en%40googlegroups.com.

Stefan K.

Feb 15, 2021, 2:49:25 PM2/15/21
to Gallery 3 Users
Hi
unfortunately the upgrade still doesn't work.
The location folder is: /html/mygallery

The old version 3.0.9 is installed under:

Did you do a completely new install of Gallery 3.1.3 into a totally different location than your old Gallery 3.0.9 was in? Yes -> mygallery_new
If so, did you try using the new 3.1.3 installation first to make sure it was working before copying your old 3.0.9 /var into the proper location in Gallery 3.1.3? Yes, unfortunately the installation does not work.
That should work. And was your server already running PHP 7 or higher? for the installation i tried version 5.6 first and then also 7.1

Upgrading Steps:
  1. Download the latest version of Gallery 3.
  2. Extract the archive and upload all files and folders to a new folder (e.g. "gallery3_new" on your web server (usually via FTP).
  3. Browse to your current installation and go to "Login -> Admin -> Maintenance"
  4. On the maintenance page click on "Turn on maintenance mode" to prevent user from accessing the gallery while you are upgrading. (this option does not exist in at least 3.0.0RC1, but is present in some later releases)
  5. Move the var folder from your old folder to the new one. Permissions and ownership on this directory must be maintained. The webserver (Apache/PHP) must be able to write to it after you move it. Also check that hidden files (for example .album.jpg) files are moved as well.
  6. Copy any custom or downloaded Themes from your old folder to the new one.
  7. Copy any downloaded Modules from your old folder to the new one. Do not copy the gallery folder from the old to the new.
  8. Rename the old folder (e.g. from "gallery3" to "gallery3_old")
  9. Rename the new folder to the name you had for your old folder (e.g. from "gallery3_new" to "gallery3")
  10. Browse to your Gallery 3 installation and add "/upgrader" at the end of the URL (e.g. http://www.example.com/gallery3/index.php/upgrader)
  11. Follow the instructions on the upgrader page.
  12. Browse to your current installation and go to "Login -> Admin -> Maintenance"
  13. On the maintenance page click on "Turn off maintenance mode" to allow access to your installation again.
do you have an idea what the problem is?
Stefan

Stefan K.

Feb 16, 2021, 1:58:00 AM2/16/21
to Gallery 3 Users

the url "example" is of course only as an example, i didn't want to publish the real url here.

Stefan

JR

Feb 17, 2021, 5:49:16 PM2/17/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

Stefan,

In that case, since all you're willing to say is "the installer still won't" work -- when hundreds of successful installs and upgrades over the past year have proven it *does* work -- and we can't even see the gallery website you're talking about trying to upgrade, then all I can suggest is that you go back and very carefully read the instructions and try again. It does work. You have missed something or not quite understood something.

So, first, stay in PHP 5.6,  and do a NEW installation of version 3.1.3 on your server and see if it works properly on your hosting setup (yes, Gallery 3.1.3 will run on PHP 5.6) -- New installation instructions are here:

http://codex.galleryproject.org/Gallery3:User_guide:Gallery3:Installing_and_upgrading.html#Installation

If the new install is successful, then try again to upgrade your 3.0.9 carefully, going step-by-step per these instructions:

http://codex.galleryproject.org/Gallery3:User_guide:Gallery3:Installing_and_upgrading.html#Upgrading

-- J.R.

Stefan K. schrieb am Montag, 15. Februar 2021 um 20:49:25 UTC+1:
Hi
unfortunately the upgrade still doesn't work.
The location folder is: /html/mygallery

The old version 3.0.9 is installed under:
/html/mygallery