Nextcloud as Gallery3 alternatives

willem....@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2024, 2:05:33 PMMar 3
to Gallery 3 Users
After some issues with the php 8 upgrade, which are solved with the information in this group, thank you all, I also investigated some alternatives.

None of the alternatives was attractive enough for me to switch. I like the relative limited requirements to run Gallery3 (Apache, SQL, PHP) and the transparent file system structure of the albums which are manipulated via the application.

At this moment I upload and organize my photo's via Gallery3 and in addition mapped the Gallery3 album folder to an external storage path in Nextcloud. This gives the read option to access the folders/images via Nextcloud. Recently I discovered the Nexcloud add-on app Memories which has additional features like a timeline and map.

I hope sometime I have time and do some development on Gallery3 myself, but for now I I am happy with a stand-by alternative. The Nextcloud installed base should make it future proof, and is offering all kind of functionality for a self hosted cloud.

What are your considerations regarding the use of Nextcloud?

Adrian London

Mar 3, 2024, 2:37:54 PMMar 3
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
I assume this is paid file hosting?  The website is confusing - it says it can be self-hosted and there’s a github site but ona. quick glance I still didn’t understand all the myriad offerings Nextcloud provides.

There’s a comparison of free photo library solutions here:

As you have Nextcloud, it seems very simple to use Memories.  You simply use their console to install the app:

There’s also something called Nextcloud Photos:

If your website is public, I’d love to have a look if you try any of those solutions.

J.R.

Mar 3, 2024, 3:30:57 PMMar 3
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Willem,

Hmmm. Put the album folder(s) on the cloud. A very interesting idea. I'll give it a try at some point.

-- J.R.
--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/b58054e2-8def-4f2c-a8ec-31e0dca41686n%40googlegroups.com.

Andrew Shinn

Mar 3, 2024, 3:55:51 PMMar 3
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Been a lot of back and forth on the group, but.... I use Azure file share for *nix to back-end var as a low effort backup w/global replication. Honestly, it's not needed for what I do but was just tired of backing up the whole thing to a compressed tar and then pushing it to Azure blob anyway on a weekly basis via cron. I do still backup the whole thing now/then to a local NAS, which at this point feels quant. Honestly the fact I still maintain anything like this "on-prem" anymore feels quant, that whole world is just gone for the most part.

It also allows me to spin up/down the front-end of this in like 5 mins anywhere I choose.

I also use Azure a bit for this reason because all of my email etc is on a business tenant, which I have in my estate/legacy plan spelled out how for family to access in the event something happens to me.

Overall, I'm sure we're dying off (literally at this point), but I work as a devops/sysadmin/automation engineer (same work, but they keep changing the title)... whatever you want to call it. I've used Gallery since about 2002. I am big into cars, and I've received many random emails over the years from people thanking me for keeping pictures online or how-to's and such. I have nothing against cloud services, especially given its how i butter my bread now, but for stuff like this I tend to agree with others. Especially in light of like what photobucket and others did in the not too distant past.

It's honestly kind of wild to see how much the Internet has changed since I first stood this up, and as a car person, I still shake my cane at forums dying.

/end_ramble

Mar 3, 2024, 4:11:20 PMMar 3
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Rambling is good.

I recently decided to go back to Uni to do a master’s degree. Learnt new fangled things like Machine Learning (AI), Python etc. and what suprised me was how little things have changed.

I originally learnt Pascal and Fortan at Uni (Engineering focussed degree). Python, to me, is nothing more than glorified Unix scripts :). Plus I wrote my thesis in LaTeX which is some throwback to the 1980s.

We used an SQL database for one of our projects (gene analysis), hosted on a Unix platform. The only thing that’s changed since I learnt all that stuff 30 years ago is that it’s cloud based. Plus the internet now exists (well, we had JANet back then) so I could google stuff I didn’t know :)

Playing with PHP and MySQL for Gallery3 stuff is like a nostalgia trip …

Jon Schewe

J.R.

Mar 4, 2024, 4:15:22 PMMar 4
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Andrew,

If holding on to my valuable content, in my own hands, totally under my own control no matter what happens in or to the non-publicly owned 'net cloud-matrix is quaint, then sign me up for that club. I've got 15 years of work in my content and it costs me nothing to "play it safe". Who knows what havoc AI coupled with solar flares might cause in cloud city? Maybe nothing... probably nothing... but again, it costs me nothing keep a backup safe and under my own control... even from my own system (I put a spare on an external drive that is only ever connected to anything if absolutely necessary).

-- J.R.