Disaster at party, never let friends fiddle with your system

John P. Overington

Aug 9, 2018, 4:34:52 PM8/9/18
to gale-...@googlegroups.com

A guest at a party at my house this weekend connected his phone to my hifi, and the output was low, so he decided it best to crank the volume to max. The result after half an hour was a dead left speaker.

Both fuses in the 401 had both blown. I’ve ordered replacements, and the main fuse spares arrived today. There’s now sound from both bass units, but nothing from the midrange. The tweeter of course is silent without its fuse. Taking the tweeter fuse out of the other speaker confirms the presence of the midrange for that one.

So I guess it’s a dead midrange, or a blown component on the crossover. Which is it most likely to be? And if I need a replacement midrange, what are the options?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

John, without music!

Mike Nightingale

Aug 9, 2018, 5:04:41 PM8/9/18
to Gale Audio
I'm not sure what the currently available replacement is advisd, I am sure someone will know, however Please note thet whatever it is - Replace both midrange units with the same replacement units - This will ensure that whatever subtle sonic differences there might be between your original pristine speakers and the new drivers will not grate on your nerves!  :)
Oh, and you will want to be hiring John Wick to, ahem, "Take care," of your ex-friend!

Mike

David from www.vintagegale.com

Aug 10, 2018, 12:40:43 PM8/10/18
to Gale Audio
John;
Do not fret I have huge stocks of everything if you are in need. It is difficult to advise from a distance but you would be wise to try and ascertain what is wrong and what is needed before spending money. I realise the 401A is difficult to check out because of its make up so if you are not a DIY person then you have a problem. All that aside I can supply whatever you want. I am obviously UK based and I do not know your location. You can contact me via the vintagegale website.

Berris Conolly

Aug 10, 2018, 8:31:46 PM8/10/18
to gale-...@googlegroups.com
John - if turns out to be the midrange, David supplied me with two of the new ones (with plastic cones, not paper). They sound fine to me, in my 402s, although it's a long time since I heard the paper originals ...

David from www.vintagegale.com

Aug 11, 2018, 3:52:19 AM8/11/18
to Gale Audio
I have plenty of either the later version or re-foamed originals

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 9:34:52 PM UTC+1, jpo wrote:

A guest at a party at my house this weekend connected his phone to my hifi, and the output was low, so he decided it best to crank the volume to max. The result after half an hour was a dead left speaker.

Both fuses in the 401 had both blown. I’ve ordered replacements, and the main fuse spares arrived today. There’s now sound from both bass units, but nothing from the midrange. The tweeter of course is silent without its fuse. Taking the tweeter fuse out of the other speaker confirms the presence of the midrange for that one.

So I guess it’s a dead midrange, or a blown component on the crossover. Which is it most likely to be? And if I need a replacement midrange, what are the options?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

John, without music!

KO40 spec sheet.pdf
P1030233.JPG

Toby

Aug 11, 2018, 8:00:03 AM8/11/18
to Gale Audio
Best to keep friends, wife’s and children well away from HiFi in my opinion!
I have two systems conjoined in the lounge, a 7 channel AV setup and a 2 channel conventional one, different inputs from various sources to each amplifier but where they share is the two front speakers due to the size of them. This means swapping speaker connections over as required but it’s a quick and simple task and in realistic not done often.
One day my daughter who had watched the process many times decided to do the swap over, wanting to watch TV when it was still set up for the 2 channel side.
I still remember being upstairs at the time and hearing a terrifyingly loud high pitched noise!
I came running downstairs to see the amps VU meters at full scale deflection indicating 1000w per channel, smoke rising from the speakers!
Result was two completely burnt out pairs of mids and leaf tweeters! Both amps still worked but both have subsequently died not that long after so it’s possible both were stressed somehow.
The reason was she’d switched both on and swapped a cable over whist the other positive was still attached to the other amp, it must have created a huge loop which affected both channels!

The moral is let NO one mess with your HiFi!!!!

Jack Ward

Aug 11, 2018, 6:49:08 PM8/11/18
to gale-...@googlegroups.com
YIKES!! No one does here.

Jack Ward
Knoxville, TN, USA

gdsm...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2018, 4:44:50 AM8/14/18
to Gale Audio
I have a Beresford 2 way audio switch. One switch for the valve amp and one for the AV amp. No one else gets to play with the valve amp. The Gale 401Bs are attached to both setups. After listening to stereo music I switch the system back to AV amp and DTV, so hopefully when my wife switches system on, the TV is playing and no more messing around is required. Better still is if the family use the newer TV in another room.

Toby

Aug 17, 2018, 1:33:29 AM8/17/18
to Gale Audio
I’ve thought about a switching unit and have purchased a few components to build one, I was going to do it at the speaker end (one per speaker) a simple change over switch in a neat enclosure (I have seperate cables from each amp to the speakers), that said I could just have a single box and have it back where the amps reside.

John P. Overington

Sep 30, 2018, 1:04:19 PM9/30/18
to gale-...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Thanks for your advice. Replacing the fuses and cleaning the pots fixed things this time.

I’m interested in the high quality print of the poster, can you provide pricing, and shipping to the U.K.

Best wishes

John Overington

--
john.p.o...@gmail.com

> On 17 Aug 2018, at 06:33, 'Toby' via Gale Audio <gale-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> I’ve thought about a switching unit and have purchased a few components to build one, I was going to do it at the speaker end (one per speaker) a simple change over switch in a neat enclosure (I have seperate cables from each amp to the speakers), that said I could just have a single box and have it back where the amps reside.

Howard Popeck

Jan 30, 2019, 3:19:29 PM1/30/19
to Gale Audio
I had something similar. My sister in law (previous wife) looking at my Lecson Ac1/Ap3 II (not switched on) was intrigued by the sliders. One by one she moved all of them upwards - and then switched on. Long story short, the nice people in Bruton Place gave me a new pair of GS 401s.

elicia boon

Feb 15, 2019, 8:11:51 PM2/15/19
to gale-...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to Google!