Re: Digest for gale-audio@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Simon Yearwood

Aug 15, 2020, 6:17:39 AM8/15/20
to gale-...@googlegroups.com
Out of interest how may owners of the turntable have one that works properly ?
Simon

On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 at 01:01, <gale-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

al <alki...@gmail.com>: Aug 14 05:29AM -0700

Mm. I just used the w/f iphone program to measure the standard Gale's wow

and flutter: 0.11%. Pretty good, but my eds500 motor replacement is getting

0.08%! This 'order of magnitude' stuff in the sales may have been a little

hyperbolic, as the EDS is early 70s... My impression is that the original

Gale motor doesn't actually have a massive amount of torque, which could

have something to do with it.

I am also having a very odd issue with my speed controller: fixed 33 works

fine but variable goes full speed into reverse! Does anyone else have a

reversing platter??

Alex

On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 at 09:52:40 UTC+1 Toby wrote:

"SmithMcDougall Family Gmail" <smithmc...@gmail.com>: Aug 15 08:16AM +1000

I recall reading that the old Sugden (Connoisseur?) turntables were apt to occasionally spin the turntable in the reverse direction.

Which is why they had that odd lever-action ‘on’ switch – to flick the record in the correct direction at start-up.

Robin

Mm. I just used the w/f iphone program to measure the standard Gale's wow and flutter: 0.11%. Pretty good, but my eds500 motor replacement is getting 0.08%! This 'order of magnitude' stuff in the sales may have been a little hyperbolic, as the EDS is early 70s... My impression is that the original Gale motor doesn't actually have a massive amount of torque, which could have something to do with it.

I am also having a very odd issue with my speed controller: fixed 33 works fine but variable goes full speed into reverse! Does anyone else have a reversing platter??

Alex

SmithMcDougall Family Gmail

Aug 15, 2020, 11:13:08 PM8/15/20
to gale-...@googlegroups.com
Who knows?  It seems unclear exactly how many were manufactured in the first place – I’ve seen figures between 60 and 200.  Either way, not many.
Working and original condition? Probably zero.
As to those in the hands of audiophile collectors, working perfectly but with refurbed, replacement or alternative innards / parts?- I’d be surprised if it was more than a dozen or so.
[I’d posit that both of Elton’s are probably in good nick ....]
Hopefully this forum will shed some light.
Robin

Sent: 15 August, 2020 8:17 PM
Subject: Re: Digest for gale-...@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Out of interest how may owners of the turntable have one that works properly ?
Simon

al

Aug 16, 2020, 6:56:41 AM8/16/20
to Gale Audio

Having experimented with Simon's I'm a little more optimistic about repairs than before... Ebay is fantastic for getting old parts or equivalents and I haven't yet found anything that is not available (focusing on the FET transistors and op amps, assuming the logic chips will be more robust...). The key is having a working tower and reconstructed ribbon connector. In theory you can then swap in boards from another to test them and identify the faulty one, and then replace all its components. In theory! Swapping boards in and out with a pristine ribbon connector will result in rapid delamination / fractures in the copper strips, but it only took me about half an hour to solder all the points together with wires, and then everything becomes more robust. The actual connectors are excellent.

Broken encoder disks or optical detectors seem insurmountable though. In that situation the EDS 500 motor replacement path could work well. It would be fairly easy to keep the original controller case and wiring and replace with a simple arduino & switch mode power supply. And the performance will be at least as good as the original motor.

I'm experimenting more but I hope to get enough knowledge to offer to repair some boards for people... John, if your motor is OK wouldn't that be the best option?

Alex