GS401B speaker pair not L and R ??

gdsm...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2023, 2:20:08 AM6/28/23
to Gale Audio
After 40 years I just realised my GS401 speakers have the tweeter and mid range in the same relative position. Both are numbered with a "B". Am I right in thinking that the factory would have sent out a "A and B" set? I don't think there is any audio impact. Could the Perth distributor at the time (Alberts HiFi) have mixed and matched?

In comparison my more recently acquired GS402 speakers are numbered L and R, and are mirror images from the front perspective.

Anyone else have a pair of "B" speakers?

Peter Fleming

Jun 28, 2023, 5:35:25 AM6/28/23
to gale-...@googlegroups.com

Gale 401 came in 3 models, 401A – chrome ends, 401B – wooden cabinets with straight grills, and 401C – wooden cabinets with curved grills.

Gale 401’s are not made as a specific left and/or right speaker. The correct installation has the tweeters situated on top when mounted horizontally, and tweeters situated on the inside when mounted vertically.

I suspect you have a set of Gale 401B speakers? I doubt that Alberts mixed them up.

Berris Conolly

Jun 28, 2023, 8:19:45 AM6/28/23
to gale-...@googlegroups.com

The driver layout is the same for the 401 and 402, and there isn’t really a Left and Right, although for some reason 402s were indeed marked L & R.

Counterintuitively, I seem to remember the tweeter was designed to be at the bottom when mounted horizontally on Gale stands.

But I guess this depends on many things – height of other stands, room acoustics, etc, etc.

tbco...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2023, 5:34:06 PM6/28/23
to Gale Audio

I’ve just realised why 402s are marked Left and Right – unlike the 401, they were ‘marketed’ (i.e. photographed by me for the brochure) mounted vertically on the stand, so L & R would ensure the tweeters are in the correct position.

gdsm...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2023, 9:08:00 PM6/28/23
to Gale Audio
My 401s are the GS401B with flat grills. These and the 402s are mounted vertically given room available. I would mount them horizontally if enough space.

Berris Conolly

Jun 29, 2023, 3:07:49 AM6/29/23
to gale-...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure why they (DW Labs) changed the orientation, perhaps to look more 'conventional' than the original Jon Bannenberg 401A design?
I think they may sound marginally better (slightly wider image?) in the horizontal...
Gale 402 brochure.jpg
Gale 401A brochure.jpg

Berris Conolly

Jun 29, 2023, 3:15:37 AM6/29/23
to gale-...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure why they (DW Labs) changed the orientation, perhaps to look more 'conventional' than the original Jon Bannenberg 401A design?
I think they may sound marginally better when horizontal - a slightly wider stereo image...

Gale 402 brochure.jpg

Gale 401A brochure.jpg

On Thu, 29 Jun 2023 at 02:08, gdsm...@gmail.com <gdsm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Toby Carter

elicia boon

Jul 4, 2023, 9:29:09 PM7/4/23
to gale-...@googlegroups.com
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gale Audio" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gale-audio/CA%2B9ZDx0YBuC6CLZJZNWBp8UKrA0CyjgyK9MLr4r4nVwB2XZPVQ%40mail.gmail.com.

elicia boon

Jul 4, 2023, 9:29:57 PM7/4/23
to gale-...@googlegroups.com
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gale Audio" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gale-audio/CA%2B9ZDx1trM_P7rC%3DTVML6pbxw7B0%3DDRpaF%3D0RENDpuU95EARFw%40mail.gmail.com.

elicia boon

Jul 4, 2023, 9:30:45 PM7/4/23
to gale-...@googlegroups.com