Working on the Official Galaxy Mage Module™

Jeremy Putnam

Dec 10, 2010, 10:40:08 PM12/10/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
While I agree with Matt that we should focus on creating a highly
moddable turn-based strategy engine that can be used for many
settings, I also think we should have an official campaign a-la
Wesnoth's. I've got ideas for my own personal world percolating in
the back of my mind but I like some of the groundwork laid so far from
previous efforts, and I think some of Elagune's concepts are evocative
and would like to start develop the setting further while Matt is
still converting the engine to 3d.

I'll be making changes under the wiki section of the code page, so
please feel free to add discussion there about things you like, don't
like, want changed and we can modify it as we collaborate on this. We
can also discuss it here as well, either place is fine with me.

The link for the Lore page is:
http://code.google.com/p/galaxymageredux/wiki/Lore?ts=1292038320&updated=Lore

The link for the Factions page is:
http://code.google.com/p/galaxymageredux/wiki/Factions?ts=1292037995&updated=Factions

Elagune

Dec 11, 2010, 1:23:11 AM12/11/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
I'm all for this. I wouldn't mind helping developing the setting, but
I'm much more of a concept art guy, so if you want sketches done of
some characters, units, or buildings or something I can really help
out.

On Dec 10, 7:40 pm, Jeremy Putnam <lord....@gmail.com> wrote:
> While I agree with Matt that we should focus on creating a highly
> moddable turn-based strategy engine that can be used for many
> settings, I also think we should have an official campaign a-la
> Wesnoth's.  I've got ideas for my own personal world percolating in
> the back of my mind but I like some of the groundwork laid so far from
> previous efforts, and I think some of Elagune's concepts are evocative
> and would like to start develop the setting further while Matt is
> still converting the engine to 3d.
>
> I'll be making changes under the wiki section of the code page, so
> please feel free to add discussion there about things you like, don't
> like, want changed and we can modify it as we collaborate on this.  We
> can also discuss it here as well, either place is fine with me.
>
> The link for the Lore page is:http://code.google.com/p/galaxymageredux/wiki/Lore?ts=1292038320&upda...
>
> The link for the Factions page is:http://code.google.com/p/galaxymageredux/wiki/Factions?ts=1292037995&...

Markus Martin

Dec 11, 2010, 4:19:33 AM12/11/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 07:40:08PM -0800, Jeremy Putnam wrote:
> I'll be making changes under the wiki section of the code page, so
> please feel free to add discussion there about things you like, don't
> like, want changed and we can modify it as we collaborate on this. We
> can also discuss it here as well, either place is fine with me.

I think there will probably be a wider audience for any discussion on
the list here. Wiki comments are somewhat 'hidden', I think.

Also note that these links are for specific revisions. The correct links
shouldn't have any arguments, i.e.:

http://code.google.com/p/galaxymageredux/wiki/Lore
http://code.google.com/p/galaxymageredux/wiki/Factions

Cheers,
-Markus

RB[0]

Dec 11, 2010, 11:52:06 AM12/11/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
I am all for this as well!
I fully want some official campaigns involved with this - perhaps even multiplayer campaigns :)

The thing's will hopefully be in to make it really simple to make a campaign based on the "GalaxyMage" universe we/you guys create - but it will be possible to modify everything visual/game mechanically - that's the goal at least. :)

Jeremy Putnam

Dec 14, 2010, 3:14:05 PM12/14/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
Here's what I've got so far on the history, feel free to tear it to
shreds, make suggestions, brainstorm, whatever:

The seraphite were once protectors of humankind, guardians protecting
them from the darker corners of the world, mostly unseen except by a
select few. They maintained the peace for centuries until the day the
seas boiled and the mountains cracked. The seraphite went to explore
the scar as protectors and came back out greedy, twisted and hungry
for power.

The humans fought and defended, but with each Forlorn beast they
killed, 3 more took its place. After decades of fighting, the
remaining human forces were distressed. They were holed up in caves in
the mountains with little hope of surviving another day. But, just
when desperation had reached a critical point, something unexpected
happened. The Forlorn abandoned their siege for reasons unknown and
left the humans devastated lands.

Humans realized that the threat still remained, and so The Templar
Legion was born and tasked by the remaining human residents with the
job of seeking out and destroying all Forlorn and every incantation of
their dark magic from the world. Knights from across the continent
banded together and seek out the Forlorn and their agents.

On an island far from the mainland a civilization that had so far
escaped the bloodshed of the previous decades started experiencing
strikes by the Forlorn on their lands. The inhabitants of this island,
The Children of Sarame, had long ago discovered a red glowing mineral
in the volcanic mountains of their island, and had since perfected its
use as a power source enabling convenience in domestic life, as well
as ways to power weapons and armor. The Forlorn's strikes seemed to
focus more and more on The Children's mineral mines.

In the desert of the Waste, a tribe of humans stumbled upon an ancient
speaking cat tribe, that have been living amongst oasis pools
surrounded by red crystals. Hundreds flock to the desert to worship
the Tykon'long and pledge their souls to the New Path, a manuscript
found that supposedly reveals the secrets to the future. The Wastemen
train with the cats, honing their fighting abilities to near human
perfection and discovering their inner chakra to better prepare
themselves for what they believe to be an oncoming apocalypse. Strikes
by The Forlorn on the desert people have been on the rise, with
outlying oasis pools raided and stripped of their crystals.

A war is coming. You must choose your people, swear your fealty,
gather your army, and fight to defend your home. Dark times are upon
us - only you can change their course....

Jeremy Putnam

Dec 14, 2010, 3:16:47 PM12/14/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
And the factions, same as above about making changes.

The Forlorn

A conquesting power-hungry legion of creatures that were once armored
shining seraphim that were twisted through their use and abuse of
magic. Some still display traces of their original angelic nature but
are covered in glowing fissured dark armor with black wings (I'm
thinking about the angels from The Darkness comic by topcow) others
are hunched over with wings of bone or leathery skin. Still others
have had their wings removed and been enslaved, evolving into other
creatures altogether through the years. The Forlorn are primarily
magic users but there are still some that have maintained their
martial prowess. Some possible units are scarred battlemages, beast-
handlers, winged sword-wielding archons, or the pattern tracing shard-
casters.

Children of Sarame

Isolated Technology-Users. Their attack animations would be
explosions, grenades, gunpowder weapons, etc. steampunk.. somewhere
around after the industrial revolution.

The Templar Legion

Anti-magic zealots. But the Watchers may seem boring to some because
they won't have alot of over-the-top style attacks like the other
factions. Maybe we let them have some sort of war machines
(catapults,etc). I dunno, let me know what you think. Maybe the
Watcher could be the standard "beginner" faction that is pretty much
straight-forward to play (walk up to enemy and attack).

The Tykon Wastemen

Chakra-Practitioners. Wastemen have honed their bodies to super-human
levels and so are able to do things that normal humans are unable to
do. Battle animations include jumping great distances, over-the-top
physical attacks (example: most animations in Disgaea, ninja movies).
We could include attacks that let them push enemies across a distance,
magic-like abilities (explosions, etc.) and also attacks that have a
cat-like look (claw gloves raking back and forth).