Artists

Jeremy Putnam

Jan 10, 2009, 1:32:22 AM1/10/09
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
Is development still active on this project going into the new year?
I kicked around some sprites in the old Galaxymage project but it was
after the primary coder went on haitus. Do you have any artists for
the redux?

Markus Martin

Jan 10, 2009, 1:48:29 AM1/10/09
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
2009/1/9 Jeremy Putnam <lord...@gmail.com>:

Hi! Development is ongoing, albeit a bit slow so far this year. We
could use all the artists we can get. I believe the current plan is
still to use 3D models rather than sprites, but beggars can't be
choosers and we don't currently have a real artist among us. So, I
couldn't say really. Let's see what RB thinks.

Greets,
-Markus

RB[0]

Jan 10, 2009, 3:33:28 PM1/10/09
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
Well, what I am planning is that you can use either option. Creators can simply point to a file, and it can be an OBJ or a simple image (eventually animated stuff should be added as well...)

I am continuing development - but at the moment I am mostly tinkering with twisted - as that is so important for continuing on, and I have gotten a little hung up on it, and I've been too busy for much else :)

Cheers,
Matt

Jeremy Putnam

Jan 11, 2009, 3:09:11 PM1/11/09
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
I've got a legitimate copy of Softimage XSI and I've done some mod-
work on Unreal Tournament 2004 so I'm not averse to going the 3D
route. Are there any other full 3D turn-based-strategy games? The
closest I can think of is Heroes of Might and Magic 5 or King's Bounty
but those are "western" style rather than "eastern" like Disgaea,
Final Fantasy Tactics, or Ogre Battle.

On Jan 10, 1:33 pm, "RB[0]" <roeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, what I am planning is that you can use either option. Creators can
> simply point to a file, and it can be an OBJ or a simple image (eventually
> animated stuff should be added as well...)
>
> I am continuing development - but at the moment I am mostly tinkering with
> twisted - as that is so important for continuing on, and I have gotten a
> little hung up on it, and I've been too busy for much else :)
>
> Cheers,
> Matt
>
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:48 AM, Markus Martin <archw...@gmail.com> wrote:

RB[0]

Jan 11, 2009, 5:02:27 PM1/11/09
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
To be perfectly honest, I do not have a ton of experience in this genre of games - I have played a couple, but not anything recent - so I will appreciate any and all advice ;)

I was planning to begin with just sprites - but that was more because of the lack of artists and a lot of programmers than anything else - so if you are willing to make models, then we can start out with that - though be warned, all we can use ATM are OBJ models :S

Cheers

Jeremy Putnam

Jan 12, 2009, 1:27:36 PM1/12/09
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
Really? What drew you to this particular open source game?

On Jan 11, 3:02 pm, "RB[0]" <roeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To be perfectly honest, I do not have a ton of experience in this genre of
> games - I have played a couple, but not anything recent - so I will
> appreciate any and all advice ;)
>
> I was planning to begin with just sprites - but that was more because of the
> lack of artists and a lot of programmers than anything else - so if you are
> willing to make models, then we can start out with that - though be warned,
> all we can use ATM are OBJ models :S
>
> Cheers

Robert Ramsay

Jan 12, 2009, 5:29:46 PM1/12/09
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
I do not know about RB[0]'s reason, but for me the reason I joined the Galaxy Mage project was because I couldn't find an open source clone of FFT or Disgaea.  The only one I could find was Galaxy Mage, about 5 years back.  Which was abandonned when the lead developer graduated from college (I'm assuming).  So I decided instead of starting my own sRPG, I'd just join the only existing project I knew of.

RB[0]

Jan 13, 2009, 3:07:38 PM1/13/09
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
Well, I always loved turn-based games, and I got hooked on Wesnoth fairly early - in fact that was where I first started tinkering with coding.
Then the first version of GM came out a little while after I gotta really interested in Pygame, so I checked it out and liked it. I was actually going to start helping out when it died - and then when it started back up in late 2007 sometime, I jumped on board, determined to help it not die again.

I became project lead only through a "last-man-standing" sort of way - Brandon, the original lead of the project mysteriously left and everything kinda died for a while - and then Markus and AJ and I got on and discussed what to do and elected AJ to lead.
He got busy after a couple months and not a lot got done.
Then the project started going stagnant again, and I started working on my 3d library I had been planning for a while, specifically to rejuvenate this project. I just got it working about 2 months ago, so when I got back and was ready to get back none of the other original members were left except for Markus and me.
Markus has quite a few projects of his own to work on, so I just sorta became the lead.

We have quite a goodly bit of attention atm - and it seems like quite a few people ready to break ground, so let's see what we can do :)

Cheers all :)

Markus Martin

Jan 13, 2009, 7:15:52 PM1/13/09
2009/1/11 Jeremy Putnam <lord...@gmail.com>:

> I've got a legitimate copy of Softimage XSI and I've done some mod-
> work on Unreal Tournament 2004 so I'm not averse to going the 3D
> route. Are there any other full 3D turn-based-strategy games? The
> closest I can think of is Heroes of Might and Magic 5 or King's Bounty
> but those are "western" style rather than "eastern" like Disgaea,
> Final Fantasy Tactics, or Ogre Battle.

I think while FFT is not actually 3D, it very much was intended to
look so. This is the kind of style that I would like to see for GMR.
Though we did decide long ago that we would prefer a perspective
camera over the isometric one used in FFT. Although I guess most if
not all issues surrounding the game are kind of up in the air again
since not much was (successfully) done with any of the decisions that
we made in the past.

Cheers,
-Markus

Markus Martin

Jan 13, 2009, 7:26:12 PM1/13/09
2009/1/13 RB[0] <roe...@gmail.com>:

> Brandon, the original lead of the project mysteriously left and everything
> kinda died for a while - and then Markus and AJ and I got on and discussed
> what to do and elected AJ to lead.
> He got busy after a couple months and not a lot got done.
> Then the project started going stagnant again, and I started working on my
> 3d library I had been planning for a while, specifically to rejuvenate this
> project. I just got it working about 2 months ago, so when I got back and
> was ready to get back none of the other original members were left except
> for Markus and me.

Somehow I think you left out a lot between Brandon disappearing and
you starting on your 3D lib, but hey that whole process is kind of a
blur to me now too. ;)

> Markus has quite a few projects of his own to work on, so I just sorta
> became the lead.

I am spending most of my free time on one project in particular these
days, but I would be happy to lend a hand in GMR when I can. Just in
case anyone is curious that project is DungeonHack, a Daggerfall and
Elder Scrolls games inspired freeform RPG
(http://dungeonhack.uesp.net). I am known as Archwyrm over there.

> We have quite a goodly bit of attention atm - and it seems like quite a few
> people ready to break ground, so let's see what we can do :)

Lead us on, Mr. Leader. =)

-Markus

RB[0]

Jan 14, 2009, 10:34:09 AM1/14/09
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Markus :)
Yeah, there was a lot that happened in there, actually 10 months of a lot, but there was not much that happened in relevance to the project :S Markus and I did a Pyweek (or was it two?) together with a team, and made games specifically similar to GMR, to help keep loose and figure out some stuff - then I started work on my lib. That was about it until I noticed someone in the group noticing the spam and how dead we were, so I figured it was time :)

I do definitely think a full 3d will be an easier and powerful way to go - having worked with both. But, as I said before, I definitely think we will keep the option for 3d sprites as well as 3d models, so I guess it can be up to the modders or a later decision to figure that out...

Cheers