Minimum Assets for Pyweek

Jeremy Putnam

Aug 24, 2010, 10:40:21 PM8/24/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
This is mostly to use as my own checklist but feel free to give some
feedback as well. (and if there any other artists lurking feel free to
snag any to work on)

I figure the minimum art we need to make the game playable for the
pyweek version is:

A background image to put behind the level (Just going off something
similar to existing Tactics games)
A dungeon floor tile
A dungeon wall
Bars
Door in the bars
Guard Sprites x 2 (facing towards and away from the camera that can be
horizontally mirrored)
Fighter Sprite x 2
Archer Sprite x 2
Mage Sprite x 2
Leader Sprite x 2 (Possibly just a palette swap of the fighter)

Additional bits should we have the time:

Prison beds/straw pile
Torches for the walls
Half Height wall tiles that can be climbed on
Guard Table and Chairs
Dungeon walls with windows
Defender Sprite x 2
Assassin Sprite x 2

RB[0]

Aug 24, 2010, 10:55:37 PM8/24/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
Ok, here are my thoughts (very thorough list btw :) )

We don't need a background in game - we'll just have the camera locked to the map.
We don't really need units to face away (easier to code for now if we don't) - we just need an arrow indicating their facing direction.

We need a flag that can be colored for each team (so they know which units are theirs)

Possible's would be more tiles imo.

RB[0]

Aug 25, 2010, 12:42:53 AM8/25/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
UI images we might need (some of these need to wait for finalization until gameplay is going)

backgrounds for menu states
container/button/etc background (unless we really want solid color rects)
Icons (these are the ones that gotta wait a bit, but probably a points one, and some such)

Jeremy Putnam

Aug 25, 2010, 6:32:58 PM8/25/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
Where would you like me to save these when I complete them, and do you
have a preferred naming scheme?

Robert Ramsay

Aug 25, 2010, 7:35:17 PM8/25/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure where to put any UI images. But you can put the tiles,
and character sprites in
galaxymageredux/pyweek/data/scenarios/main/images/ for now. The naming
scheme I don't is really important, the unit's themselves will
reference their respective sprites most likely. And all of the tiles
will be referenced in the map. So as long as it's readable I think
it's fine.

RB[0]

Aug 25, 2010, 10:34:51 PM8/25/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
ok, images must be png for static and gif for animated.
images can go in either:
galaxymageredux/pyweek/data/scenarios/main/images/
or
galaxymageredux/pyweek/data/images

if you put them in the first they will simply be available to only that scenario - so if we do more than one in the week that isn't so good.
For ui images, just stick them data/images.

For naming scheme, not much, but if you feel like it:

gui_*.png for ui
unit_*.gif for a unit frame
entity.gif (or png) for a non-unit entity

etc.

How images are handled is:
all the images from the scenario are loaded, then all the images from the main folder (except conflicts) are loaded after...

Jeremy Putnam

Aug 25, 2010, 10:45:14 PM8/25/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
Would I need to use tortisesvn to upload these to the subversion site?

Robert Ramsay

Aug 25, 2010, 10:47:23 PM8/25/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
I've used this Subversion client: http://versionsapp.com/. Albeit
once. But it is a very nice looking subversion client for OS X. It
would be simpler if you committed the art yourself.

Jeremy Putnam

Aug 25, 2010, 11:47:28 PM8/25/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
Ok, I think I may have figured it out. There should be a blue dungeon
tile in the main data images folder with the other test images.

On Aug 25, 8:47 pm, Robert Ramsay <robert.alan.ram...@gmail.com>

Robert Ramsay

Aug 25, 2010, 11:56:07 PM8/25/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
Yep, it's there. And it looks great! I'm going to have to wait until
RB0 commits mod_base, I can't really do anything ATM.

RB[0]

Aug 26, 2010, 10:16:28 AM8/26/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I missed that last night guys - mod_base is up now...
Tile looks good - but it's isometric :S Robert - do you want to mod the tile engine to handle that - or Jeremy do you want to change to flat tiles? If we do isometric you can make the tile size larger, so it looks the same size as a flat 32x32 tile...

Robert Ramsay

Aug 26, 2010, 10:17:29 AM8/26/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
I'll handle the tile engine.

Jeremy Putnam

Aug 26, 2010, 12:21:09 PM8/26/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
What size do we want to go with? I just figured we were going
isometric to make GM like FinalFantasy Tactics Advance/Ogre Battle/
Disgaea.

On Aug 26, 8:17 am, Robert Ramsay <robert.alan.ram...@gmail.com>

RB[0]

Aug 26, 2010, 12:23:21 PM8/26/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
64x32 sound ok to you guys?
If tiling is easier with a close-to-that size then go with that, it is a simple variable setting to set it up in engine - mods could even change it if they want to...

Robert Ramsay

Aug 26, 2010, 12:24:09 PM8/26/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com

Try updating svn, then adding your blue tile to scenarios/main/map.py then running test_gfx. I just added tessellation to the render.

Jeremy Putnam

Aug 27, 2010, 1:05:51 AM8/27/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
Just adding these from irc as a reminder for myself:

tiles - as many different kinds as you want, just stick them in
[22:25] <RB0> walls
[22:26] <RB0> if you have time random entities, trees, rocks, etc.
[22:26] <RB0> units I want are
[22:26] <RB0> Fighter, Archer, Mage, Leader
[22:26] <RB0> I also need a Flag I can color swap to show which player
a unit belongs to
[22:27] <RB0> and the highlight tile (just solid red or gradient)
partly transparent
[22:27] <RB0> that should be all for that
[22:27] <RB0> oh, a jail cell/cage thing would be great as well