Code layout...

RB[0]

Dec 14, 2010, 10:25:02 PM12/14/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
After looking through the code, I'm thinking of refactoring a lot of
it to make it smoother and more powerful - and easier to develop from
our stand point and from mods standpoints.

Any thoughts on this?

My basic idea is that the game is comprised of scenes - and the core
engine is merely the scene manager + gui + 3d engine + network
overhead.
The scene manager would call the correct scene to be run, and feed in
the events from the network.

Anyone think this is a terrible waste of time - or have a suggestion
that is different?
I'm just noticing how pretty messy some of the code has gotten in
there, and updating things is a bit of a PITA...

Robert Ramsay

Dec 15, 2010, 12:32:43 PM12/15/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
I know how it sounds, but all large projects are going to become a
mess. I think we need to focus on getting the 3D at least playable and
then we can refactor the code for a Maintenance (If it doesn't change
the SDK/API) or Milestone release.

On the other hand, If you (or we) can do the refactoring in a solid
day then I say let's get it over with (like this weekend?).

RB[0]

Dec 15, 2010, 3:37:02 PM12/15/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
I may be free this weekend - and if we hit it hard I think we could do it in a day or two.
What I have in mind would very likely change SDK/API though, because as it is now you just have to find thigns and it is very ugly, like:

self.label = gui.Label(self.engine.engine.app,
                               (500, 5),
                               'Turn: 1/20')
self.engine.engine.gfx.camera.pos = camera
self.engine.engine.engine.whos_turn

Etc.
The engine itself was laid out to just provide basic, functional access - but it is a mess to try and set up a scenario of any kind of complexity - and I think that can be changed very easily.
Also, if we refactor the code as I have in mind, I think we can prevent it from becoming such a mess later on...

RB[0]

Dec 15, 2010, 3:37:43 PM12/15/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
PS:
I will have to let you know though, my grandparents aren't doing well so I may have to take a trip  over there this weekend as well - so, I dunno yet ;)

Matt