Ohloh

1 view

Markus Martin

Dec 19, 2008, 9:59:33 PM12/19/08
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
Hello all. Recently Ohloh[1] has been scanning Google Groups and
Sourceforge and automatically adding projects to their site. GMR is
one of the recent additions. If you do not know what Ohloh is, here is
a description from Wikipedia[2]:

"Ohloh is a website which provides a web services suite and online
community platform that aims to map the landscape of open source
software development. ... By retrieving data from revision control
repositories (such as CVS, SVN, or Git), Ohloh provides statistics
about the longevity of projects, their licenses (including license
conflict information) and software metrics such as source lines of
code and commit statistics."

Like I said an entry for GMR was made[3]. In fact, two were made, both
from Google and SF.net, but I had the SF.net one deleted since we
don't use it. It is an interesting site with some interesting
information to be sure, but it remains to be seen how useful it is.
What it does do is give projects a little extra exposure, I think, and
that is always a good thing. The whole site kind of has a wiki-like
atmosphere, so if you feel like it, you can sign up for an account and
keep this and other projects up to date.

One interesting and mostly fanciful metric is the project cost:

"This calculator estimates how much it would cost to hire a team to
write this project from scratch."

The project cost for GMR is currently estimated at $72,602. ;)

-Markus

[1] https://www.ohloh.net
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohloh
[3] https://www.ohloh.net/p/galaxymageredux

Robert Ramsay

Dec 19, 2008, 10:11:59 PM12/19/08
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
That's awesome.  I was going to suggest that we add GMR to Ohloh, but since we're already there I'll just have to add myself as a contributor.  Thanks for the news, Markus.
One of the cool things we can do with ohloh is add their statistics graphs to the googlecode site on the wikis in the form of a "gadget." Which I'll look into doing.
--
Rock. Revolt. Rinse. Repeat. Robert Ramsay

Markus Martin

Dec 19, 2008, 11:38:13 PM12/19/08
2008/12/19 Robert Ramsay <dura...@gmail.com>:

> That's awesome. I was going to suggest that we add GMR to Ohloh, but since
> we're already there I'll just have to add myself as a contributor. Thanks
> for the news, Markus.
> One of the cool things we can do with ohloh is add their statistics graphs
> to the googlecode site on the wikis in the form of a "gadget." Which I'll
> look into doing.

I am glad you are excited. :)

Speaking of the Googlecode site, it looks like a few things need to be
cleaned up there by an admin, err, RB. ;)

First thing is the description on the front page, which is not quite
grammatical. Next thing is Brandon's defunct weblog needs to be
ditched. I am personally quite happy with using Google Code (and
Groups) for all discussion, web hosting, etc.. IRC is ok too and you
should probably mention it on the front page. Obviously all the wiki
pages need to be updated as we figure out all the issues, but that
will take some time.

Last thing is license. Unless there are objections, how about moving
the license to GPLv3?

Oh, and by the way, pyggel was also picked up on Ohloh:
https://www.ohloh.net/p/pyggel

Greetings,
-Markus

RB[0]

Dec 20, 2008, 11:04:34 AM12/20/08
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
I just signed up - and actually just found several projects of mine over there O.o Though most of them it won't let me add myself as a contributor, so it says I have 6 months experience XD

Where do you see the price tag thingy, btw?

As far as the GoogleCode page, I will try and do some work on that tonight, when I get back from work, otherwise I could add either of you as project admin to help if you would like too...

Cheers,
Matt

RB[0]

Dec 20, 2008, 11:10:24 AM12/20/08
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
AH, nm on the price thingy, found it.
Interestingly they say PYGGEL has a price tag of $33.5k itself... :)