GalaxyMage needs to be made

Jeremy Putnam

Aug 14, 2010, 2:17:31 AM8/14/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
Robert Ramsey, (or anyone else for that matter) there's still no FOSS
versions of Disgaea or FFT. This game needs to get made. Lets do it.

RB[0]

Aug 14, 2010, 10:56:29 PM8/14/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
Yes, yes it does, I keep thinking about picking it up, and actually
was thinking of starting it up again a couple weeks back, but life
keeps interfering.
I think if no one minds it being 2d instead of 3d, it will be a lot
simpler, since the multiplayer framework is basically there, it's just
the 3d engine (particularly models and stuff) that have really been
holding things up :S

I was beginning to think there wasn't much interest in this project
left, it having sat for so long.

Jeremy Putnam

Aug 15, 2010, 1:03:03 AM8/15/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
This absolutely should happen, the second coming of David White and
fmunoz. =D We just need to make sure we make smart decisions like
they did by not making it overly complex and making it easy to
contribute to.

I don't have a problem staying 2D, a-la FFTactics Advance, where you
don't rotate the battlefield. Even if you wanted to make the playing
field simple 3d height variable squares with textures on them we could
keep the unites sprites like Disgaea or the original FFTactics. I'm
good either way. Give me specs and I'll get some sprites and tiles
up. Lore can come later.

Robert Ramsay

Aug 15, 2010, 2:15:02 AM8/15/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
Hello everybody,

I don't really have much to say except that I'm alive and still
interested in contributing. I have a busier schedule (meaning full
time work and other personal projects) but I'm willing to put forth as
much time as I can. Keep me posted!

Robert Ramsay

Jeremy Putnam

Aug 15, 2010, 1:48:08 PM8/15/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
Do we have a functional build we could start plugging graphics into?

On Aug 15, 12:15 am, Robert Ramsay <robert.alan.ram...@gmail.com>

Robert Ramsay

Aug 15, 2010, 2:18:53 PM8/15/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com

From what I understand, the networking is mostly complete and there is a basic 3d engine which can take models, sprites and textures I believe. But the main component, battling and gameplay, is not addressed at all.

RB[0]

Aug 15, 2010, 2:22:58 PM8/15/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
That is correct - over this next week I will try and consolidate what we have together and get it into the svn so you guys can look at it, as it is very disorganized right now.
One question - do we want to go the 3d route or 2d?
I wanted 3d, but the time to get it working smoothly and then to add a gui was becoming more of a hangup, and i think we need a dev release with gameplay more than 3d gfx - we can always add that later.

Matt

Jeremy Putnam

Aug 15, 2010, 3:05:43 PM8/15/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
I have no problem sticking with 2d. If we drum up enough interest and
contributers we can make that option available then. If we can
maintain support for 2d while adding 3d later I think we'd have
flexibility and garner the most interest from artists.

On Aug 15, 12:22 pm, "RB[0]" <roeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That is correct - over this next week I will try and consolidate what we
> have together and get it into the svn so you guys can look at it, as it is
> very disorganized right now.
> One question - do we want to go the 3d route or 2d?
> I wanted 3d, but the time to get it working smoothly and then to add a gui
> was becoming more of a hangup, and i think we need a dev release with
> gameplay more than 3d gfx - we can always add that later.
>
> Matt
>
> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Robert Ramsay <robert.alan.ram...@gmail.com
>

> > wrote:
> > From what I understand, the networking is mostly complete and there is a
> > basic 3d engine which can take models, sprites and textures I believe. But
> > the main component, battling and gameplay, is not addressed at all.
>
> > galaxymage-redux...@googlegroups.com<galaxymage-redux-dev%2Bun subs...@googlegroups.com>
> > .
> > groups.google.com/group/galaxymage-redux-dev?hl=en.
>
> > > --
> >http://groups.google.com/group/galaxymage-redux-dev?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > .

Jeremy Putnam

Aug 16, 2010, 2:07:01 PM8/16/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
Are the ground tiles just layered 2D isometric tiles or are they
textured 3D cubes?

Robert Ramsay

Aug 16, 2010, 2:14:44 PM8/16/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
The ground tiles are 3d textures. I believe they're actually mapped to
a 4xGL_Triangle surface.

RB[0]

Aug 16, 2010, 4:01:40 PM8/16/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
Umm, sides are two tri's each, top is 4 tri's, so each tile warps to match the ones next to it.
The problem with 3d wasn't the terrain, but mainly the ui and models :S

Jeremy Putnam

Aug 16, 2010, 4:41:47 PM8/16/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
What I'm wondering is going forward from here, is the terrain still
going to be 3d? I'm planning on 2d for the unit sprites either way.

RB[0]

Aug 16, 2010, 5:08:52 PM8/16/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
Yes, on the sprites.
For terrain, that is a choice, but I can whip up a ui for 2d a lot faster than for 3d - that's been on of the hang-ups...
I got work now, but tomorrow I think I will work on this :D

Markus Martin

Aug 17, 2010, 9:57:52 AM8/17/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys, I am still around and interested. Since a couple of years
now, I am heavily involved in another project, but I would love to
help this one out whenever and wherever I can even if that does not
amount to much.

I am still hanging out in #galaxymage on FreeNode too, but it has been
very quiet in there for a long time. :) I won't often be at the
terminal over the next few days though, as I am finishing up a
vacation in Europe.

Greetings,
-Markus

RB[0]

Aug 17, 2010, 11:54:33 AM8/17/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
LOL, for some reason you got on the moderated list Markus LMAO
Oh well, glad to see you around still mate :)

RB[0]

Aug 17, 2010, 2:27:05 PM8/17/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
Looking through the code, we really don't have much there, for networking it is just the base startup for stuff - message sending and that's about it.
So I think we need to just decide on 2d or 3d and start over, again, and really make a push of it.
Perhaps if you guy shave time we could do it for pyweek and just have a mod to fit the theme - then use the engine as a base to continue working on GMR...
Thoughts?

Jeremy Putnam

Aug 17, 2010, 3:34:00 PM8/17/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
I don't think I've got anything going on next week so I can try to
crank some work out every spare moment. It'd be a nice jump start to
the project.

Markus Martin

Aug 17, 2010, 4:12:53 PM8/17/10
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 8:27 PM, RB[0] <roe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps if you guy shave time we could do it for pyweek and just have a mod
> to fit the theme - then use the engine as a base to continue working on
> GMR...
> Thoughts?

I would recommend drawing up some kind of plan. One thing that I have
learned quite well from my experience with my other project is how
painful a thrown together job can end up being. I would expect that
people want this game to have some permanency and I think the previous
incarnation suffered from 'just getting something working'. So, I
would recommend agreeing on a set of things that the game should do
and be. Making a decision between 2D and 3D is a good start, of
course.

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with prototyping and
certainly that could be a good use of a PyWeek entry.

Greetings,
-Markus

RB[0]

Aug 17, 2010, 7:59:55 PM8/17/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
Good idea, if everyone wants to make an account over there (unless you have one already) and email me your user name, I'll set up a team :)

Greetings,
-Markus

Jeremy Putnam

Aug 17, 2010, 8:56:39 PM8/17/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
Wonder if we could squeeze into the Ludum Dare Jam as well?

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/

On Aug 17, 5:59 pm, "RB[0]" <roeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good idea, if everyone wants to make an account over there (unless you have
> one already) and email me your user name, I'll set up a team :)
>

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Markus Martin <mar...@archwyrm.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 8:27 PM, RB[0] <roeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Perhaps if you guy shave time we could do it for pyweek and just have a
> > mod
> > > to fit the theme - then use the engine as a base to continue working on
> > > GMR...
> > > Thoughts?
>
> > I would recommend drawing up some kind of plan. One thing that I have
> > learned quite well from my experience with my other project is how
> > painful a thrown together job can end up being. I would expect that
> > people want this game to have some permanency and I think the previous
> > incarnation suffered from 'just getting something working'. So, I
> > would recommend agreeing on a set of things that the game should do
> > and be. Making a decision between 2D and 3D is a good start, of
> > course.
>
> > On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with prototyping and
> > certainly that could be a good use of a PyWeek entry.
>
> > Greetings,
> > -Markus
>
> > --
> > .

RB[0]

Aug 18, 2010, 11:10:11 AM8/18/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
Well the thing with all of these competitions is you have to start from scratch - so for some other game yeah, I like our team, but otherwise, we'd just be repeating ourselves incessantly lol :D

Jeremy Putnam

Aug 18, 2010, 4:06:32 PM8/18/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
Would it be against the spirit of the rules if we started discussing
the bare minimum, gameplay-wise, that would be required to get the
game running and playable in a week's time?

RB[0]

Aug 18, 2010, 5:41:45 PM8/18/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
Well, judging by the themes, I think we can't do much from a gameplay perspecitve, but definitely from an engine one.
Not against any rules I've ever seen, I always brainstorm each of the themes :D

I think, the main things from my perspective to get done, are the networking, a simple ui, and a mod system.
Our entry will simply be a mod on top of the regular engine, I think.
What are your thoughts?

Jeremy Putnam

Aug 18, 2010, 8:48:45 PM8/18/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
My mind was immediately shifting into, "What are the bare minimum
attributes we can give a unit and still make it fun?" Stuff like just
a base attack score and a base defense score. Would it be possible to
create the base engine in such a way that you can add or remove unit
attributes on the fly, attributes that effect gameplay?

Networking, simple UI, simple combat engine, and a simple way to get
sprites and tiles in are a good thing to shoot for.

RB[0]

Aug 18, 2010, 10:49:37 PM8/18/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I'm think a mod engine is too ambitious, we can always take what we get from Pyweek and just add a mod engine later LOL

And that is exactly what I was thinking, we can just make units be able to use their own rules if necessary, so adding new units takes more work, but less on the engine - probably a good compromise...

RB[0]

Aug 19, 2010, 12:17:58 PM8/19/10
to galaxymage...@googlegroups.com
OK, so I have Jeremy and Robert.
I assume everyone has access to the SVN repo for GMR? If so I'll just make a /pyweek dir in there for this.

Also, what does everyone do - it's been so long, I thought Robert coded and Jeremy - were you concept or art or code?

Jeremy Putnam

Aug 19, 2010, 12:48:08 PM8/19/10
to GalaxyMage Redux Dev
I'm all-around art. I can do concept, pixel, 3d, whatever.