Hangar construction costs (a game balance question)

Davin

Jun 14, 2014, 4:01:46 PM6/14/14
to gala...@googlegroups.com
I've been looking at some game balance issues lately and I'm thinking about making a change.  I'd like to know what you all think about it.

Hangared ships are a powerful weapon system in GT, and yet the costs for these are trivially inexpensive.  This is especially visible when hangars are able to repair expensive fighters with no cost for parts or skilled labor.  I'm thinking about increasing those costs somewhat to help balance out their power just a tiny bit.  How about making the Hangars cost 3 to 5 PI each instead of only 1 PI each?  That will at least minimally compensate for a provision for spare parts (for 21 PI fighters).  That just makes the carriers more expensive (as opposed to the fighters themselves), but IMO carriers are already far too cheap.

What does everybody think about that idea, and why?

Davin

Genny White

Jun 14, 2014, 6:49:30 PM6/14/14
to gala...@googlegroups.com
A few more PI for a large and productive empire is not a significant thing, and at the beginning when your PI is very limited you aren't building fighter fleets. If you somehow tied the repair of a fighter to an expense like other Repairs, that would make more sense - gotta have some repair parts stored in a cargo bay or something, and you could only repair as many points of damage as you had stored "supplies". THAT would make the auto-repair a whole lot more realistic. 2 to 4 PI spent when the carrier is built doesn't begin to compensate for a dozen wartime repairs. Some sort of cost-per-repair is more reasonable, but it would require a lot of small changes throughout to account for the expenditures. Just a thought.

Genny

Davin

Jun 14, 2014, 7:57:13 PM6/14/14
to gala...@googlegroups.com
Ok, quit making sense!

I'd like to make fighter-heavy fleets more "expensive" to use, but I can't see getting rid of auto-repair.  Charging for it by usage doesn't seem too practical either, and somehow grates on my nerves with the only methods I can come up with offhand.

Does anyone have any better ideas to help adjust this part of game balance a little?

Frank Geyer

Jun 16, 2014, 8:51:29 AM6/16/14
to gala...@googlegroups.com, gala...@googlegroups.com
Let me think on it.