More colorful reports

Davin

Sep 23, 2008, 2:15:46 AM9/23/08
to Galac-Tac
I've added some more color to the reports. It makes it a bit prettier
but also helps you pick out problem areas more readily. This is an
old color scheme (including things like ship ratings in red when
they're damaged), but there's probably lots of room for improvement.

If anyone has any specific suggestions for coloring or font changes
that would make the report easier to read, please let me know.

Hobbit

Sep 23, 2008, 9:29:16 AM9/23/08
to Galac-Tac
That would be nice for those of us that have a printer that prints
color.
H.

Davin

Sep 23, 2008, 12:40:21 PM9/23/08
to Galac-Tac
Yeah, but (a) you can view it on-line in color to look for problems
without printing it, and (b) it still prints fine on B&W printers.
(Somebody let me know if their B&W printers do funny things with the
colors and we'll work out a solution.)

I also asked about possible font changes (which work on any printer).
One thing I'm considering is not using a mono-spaced font in parts of
the report so it looks a little less "computerized". Since the output
is all in HTML, we also have the option of making some text larger or
smaller, or bold/italic some of it, or possibly even using some
fancier font styles (if we can figure out a good reason for it).

I certainly don't want to fill up the whole report with strange fonts
and colors - that would make it unreadable. But a little tweaking
here and there might be a nice thing to add -- if I can figure out
where and how it could use tweaking. That's where y'all come in.
<wink>

BTW, did anyone notice that the report printouts are now printing page
headers (with the turn date) at the top of every page? I've tested it
with my versions of Firefox and IE, but I haven't checked other
versions or other browsers (e.g. Opera, etc.). If somebody can try
out printing from other browsers, please let me know if it works or
not for them. Thanks.

Davin

Davin

Sep 29, 2008, 5:33:12 PM9/29/08
to Galac-Tac
Well, it seems that black & white printers print colors only faintly,
so I guess it's time for an adjustment there. So now there are TWO
printer-friendly buttons on the web site now, one for color-capable
printers and a separate button for B&W printers that eliminates all
colors.

FYI - I've added a few more coloring schemes to the report this time,
so see if you can spot them.