Report suggestions

Bryan Jarvis

Dec 12, 2014, 6:00:54 PM12/12/14
to gala...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Davin -
What would you think of enhancing the report to include ship type and name.  Currently the reports just say:

COMBAT: Ship #3001 reports that it has engaged in combat at 27-02!

When it would be more descriptive and require less lookup if it said:

COMBAT: Ship #3001 [BB2 Battleship -  20P/12;;/12-8@3]  reports that it has engaged in combat at 27-02!

I have some other ideas regarding ease-of-use that I'd like to discuss as well.  Just running short of time right now.

Thanks!
Bryan

Davin Church

Dec 13, 2014, 12:52:03 AM12/13/14
to gala...@googlegroups.com
I've got a whole lot of improvements I want to do as soon as I can find time.  However, your suggestions are much appreciated.  I hadn't even considered adding detail to that page of the report.

In this particular case, I can see some usefulness in adding the Ship Code and perhaps the Ship Name.  I'm thinking that including the rating here is a little too much, though.  The ship name probably isn't nearly as useful as the code, though.  Also, don't forget that the ship # shown here is just the flagship (or even pseudo-flagship for the entire system).  It could represent an entire fleet (of hundreds of joined or unjoined ships) or even just a single carrier with separate fighters on it.  Given all the possible things you could run into here it could get complicated trying to identify (even vaguely) what's going on.

The COMBAT lines also are just intended to refer you to the combat detail pages at the end of your report where you can get full details about what was involved in the combat.  (Originally, we didn't even have these lines here.)  The idea was just to warn you to look elsewhere.

I might also like to add information about the location, though -- whether it's your own system or not (or even deep space) and what kind of system it is.

Scouting reports are typically done by tiny scout ships, and for those you probably don't really need any extra information since you'll almost always know what those are without looking.

Are there any other kinds of messages that you see in this section that you think would benefit from having some kind of extra details?

Davin