Ship design speed improvements

Davin

Dec 28, 2009, 1:23:20 PM12/28/09
to Galac-Tac
Hey gang... what do y'all think about a minor change in the ship
design limitations to allow slightly faster mid-size ships?

What I'm thinking of doing is increasing the warp drive on two sizes
of ship, so that any ships (of any tech level) that are currently
limited to speeds of 15-12, that we increase that maximum to 18-12.
Likewise, speed limits of 12-10 would be increased to 15-10.

The reason I'm thinking about this is that there's a big gap between
ships that can go 15- (and 12-) and those that can go 21-. I'd like
to fill in that gap a bit, and we've got too much limited to the 12-
range as it is, and there just doesn't seem to be enough reason to
build those two ship sizes. That means that the ship speeds (from
largest to smallest) would then go: 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, & 30. Doesn't
that seem more balanced to everyone?

This change could conceivably take effect immediately (my preference),
or I could wait until this game is over and try to remember to change
it then. If changed now, it would not affect any current ships or
ships designs, but you would be able to classify and build new designs
that take advantage of the additional speed (at the usual slightly
higher cost, of course).

This improvement seems generally useful, but shouldn't affect game
balance or the current situation much. If you want to take immediate
advantage of the new speeds, remember that the GTAC ship designer
won't know about it yet.

What do y'all think?

Frank Geyer

Dec 29, 2009, 3:19:20 PM12/29/09
to gala...@googlegroups.com, gala...@googlegroups.com
So we would have to come up with new designs and all ships/designs would stay the same? I vote we make it effective with the new games, becuase current games are based on the old designs.

Genny White

Dec 29, 2009, 3:27:35 PM12/29/09
to gala...@googlegroups.com
Well, if Davin makes the change now, we can come up with new classifications and build new ships with the new capabilities (IF we want to) and it will have no impact at all on existing ships or classifications. No one would be forced to create new ship classes unless they wanted to mess with them. Are you concerned because you have some particular strategy based on current limitations that would go awry if someone else had faster ships, giving them an advantage? Otherwise, why wait? This is supposed to be a test game, after all. If you like the idea Davin's proposing, why not put it in place and poke it around a little in this late stage of the game, so it gets a little trial before (someday) another game is started up?

Davin

Dec 29, 2009, 3:35:06 PM12/29/09
to Galac-Tac
You don't have to come up with new designs at all. Just leave
everything like it is, unless you especially WANT some new designs to
use. Note that this has no effect at all on fighters, destroyers,
battleships, non-combat ships, or most anything else that is typically
used in the game. Only a few cruiser-sized ships could be built to be
a little faster if you thought it was terribly important. No
mechanics would change for our current ships - they'd continue to work
just as well as they do and you'd use them exactly the same as you
were planning on it before. There's really no disadvantage that I can
see to just ignoring any new speed limits altogether -- after all,
you're not going to have cruiser-only fleets running around.

I don't have a problem making it effective only for new games, except
that (a) I'd probably forget, and (b) we may end up starting the next
game before this one is done and I can't have them run differently.

Do you think this would be a real problem to put into the test game?

Frank Geyer

Dec 29, 2009, 4:24:09 PM12/29/09
to gala...@googlegroups.com, gala...@googlegroups.com
OK, let's try it in the current game.