Death of an empire

Davin

Mar 22, 2009, 3:39:19 PM3/22/09
to Galac-Tac
I'm looking at the code and it's not doing what I think I remember
from the old days. In the old days (for those of you that were around
then), didn't the game tell *all* players when an empire was
destroyed? Or was it only implied by the scouts that you had in the
former empire's colonies? Perhaps I'm just remembering that everyone
is told when an empire *changes* its name?

For both old and new players, tell me if you think it SHOULD tell
everyone when another empire is destroyed. Or should it leave
everyone else in the dark to figure it out for themselves. Telling
everyone that an empire is gone would cause a land-rush into the newly
vacant territory, making it difficult for the conqueror to capitalize
on his conquest, for which he went to a lot of trouble, expense, and
risk. So maybe leaving everyone to figure out such things on their
own is a good thing?

What do y'all think?

Davin

Genny White

Mar 22, 2009, 4:16:21 PM3/22/09
to gala...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking I do remember a game-wide announcement when an empire
fell. Perhaps I can look in my old files (yes, still have them) and
see if I can find verification of that. It was certainly fun and
exciting to get a CNN Headline of the goings-on in the empire.

However... I'm thinking that such an announcement is outside the
realistic play of the game. Having scouts in the affected area,
observing battles and fleets coming and going and sudden changes of
ownership, gives us the information if we wish to invest the time and
cost of that reconnaissance (and our scouts don't get caught in the
crossfire). As much as I would LIKE to get that announcement, I
don't think it's "reasonable" that I get to hear about it. We don't
HAVE CNN or the United Nations or whatever to spread that word. Eager
to hear other opinions on this. The victor might enjoy having his/her
name in lights, but it does make the ambulance-chasers gather around the kill.

Genny

fge...@airmail.net

Mar 23, 2009, 9:22:31 PM3/23/09
to gala...@googlegroups.com

I have had a change of heart.  There should be two ways to know if an empire dies.  One is the radical change in colony and PC counts at the top of your report.  Or, if you're sitting in one of their systems and the system status changes.  Ex:  Colony to undeveloped, or PC to colony.

Unless the dying empire requests it, (Ex: Empire A states I am dying, being destroyed by Empire B.) then there should be no galactac wide broadcast.

On Sun 09/03/22 14:16 , Genny White sent:

Msg sent via Internet America Webmail - www.internetamerica.com

Robert White

Mar 24, 2009, 1:34:48 AM3/24/09
to gala...@googlegroups.com

From my own personal stance, I think the death of an empire should only be announced to the one doing the round it dies.  This gives that empire a free round to move and grab all the newly un-claimed land in that empire that's within their grasp, and adds another facet to the pre-assault phase of the planning for killing an empire.  On the other hand, I personally know that I don't regularly compare scout reports from turn to turn, and I imagine the 'average user' (once things go live) will keep every turn ever immediately on hand and reference them every turn for discrepancies.  To resolve this, I think that the turn AFTER an empire's death, people who've got scouts in previously occupied systems should recieve a short "Empire B has been destroyed, it's colonies have collapsed into ruin" message.

This would reward the guys who're keeping tabs on their neighbors without cutting into the immediate winnings of the destroying empire.  Global announcements for empire destruction, however, I'd argue against; Empire A may not have been very active in his scouting, and recieving a report that Empire X is dying wouldn't make much sense if they've never even heard of Empire X.  Just from the point of view of a relative 'newbie' this seems ideal for everybody (except the dead guy) while allowing for a little bit of user error/laziness, which the internet is well known to be rife with.

Jon

Mar 24, 2009, 9:30:25 AM3/24/09
to Galac-Tac
I agree with Robert on this one. We used to post an announcement in
the "announcement" area on the turn report to keep up the interest in
the game. Most of the time, the players would make up announcements
to post - just to keep things interesting.