Where does pandemic and hackerspace overlap? Who moderates?

Allen Rout

Jul 13, 2020, 5:56:12 PM7/13/20
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Howdy.

My answer to this question is: as narrowly, and as practically, as can
be arranged. "I want to print masks!" Rocking. "I want to weld
up some pyramids to focus my rose quartz healing wand!" Awesome, I'll
show you where the filler rod is, and the good leather gloves.

But I don't think speculations about conspiracies are likely to
generate any light in our venue, and they are certainly not the
purpose of our club. They function more like political advocacy,
and, as has been demonstrated, a kernel for hot dispute.

I think that the most useful tactic to keep nontechnical conversations
useful, is to strive for focus as best you can. Broad statements are
difficult, because they are so deeply subject to different
interpretations, by people with different perspectives. The more
finely you specify your point, the less room there is for
(mis-)interpretation, and that clarity is profoundly valuable for
contentious topics.

Natalie: this list is not moderated. While I've got sway over how we
manage the list, we won't exercise prior restraint. We do kick people
who are disruptive. This has most commonly been SPAM-flavored
behavior, but I am perfectly content to construe "disruptive" as seems
useful.

I ask folks who want to debate the possibility of conspiracy in
whatever hierarchy to use a different forum than this one. I'll be
happy to help them set up their own google group.

- Allen S. Rout
- President, Gainesville Hackerspace

maureen reschly

Jul 13, 2020, 10:10:47 PM7/13/20
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Allen,

Agreed and I love that you leave room for some nontechnical convos as long as they are specific, and that now I know where to go for my crystal tuning pyramid projects!

<3