What can the Hackerspace do, to help with epidemic response?

Allen Rout

Mar 17, 2020, 10:19:57 AM3/17/20
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Something that seems approachable, and actionable on a local scale is
hacking ventilators.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22599415

I've not dug very deep into these conversations, but I've been casting
about for "What can we do?", and this looks plausible. If we can
either build emergency-expedient equipment, or assist the development,
that would be an awesome win.

- Allen S. Rout

Jen N

Mar 18, 2020, 9:45:52 AM3/18/20
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
 Because of impending shortage of hospital ventilators, UF engineering has an open source ventilator project. Check it out and share. Go Gators!

Jenny H

Christine Sutter

Mar 18, 2020, 11:44:08 AM3/18/20
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Here is an article about the need for a valve, a smaller task than an entire ventilator, in Italy and 3D printing them. Also talks about liability

Crissy

Kathryn Storey

Mar 19, 2020, 8:23:53 AM3/19/20
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
You guys might find some ideas on r/COVIDProjects:

Jen N

Mar 19, 2020, 10:08:10 AM3/19/20
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

Robert Munyer

Mar 27, 2020, 7:31:51 PM3/27/20
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Here is a very simple device:

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3902435

-- Robert

Rick Fabiani

Apr 28, 2020, 2:26:50 PM4/28/20
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Hi guys, does anyone have an extra internal hard drive that they could donate to a machine I am refurbing. I thought I had an extra laying around, but I can't find them. It is for a friend of the family so that his nephews can get online and do their school work. They don't have a working machine at their house.

It also has shown me that there is probably a need out there for school kids to get actual computers, not just their phones, to help connect and get their work done during this time. It isn't as sexy as 3D printing PPE equipment, but it is probably something that we could help with very quickly. There are probably a ton of old machines out there, maybe even in a warehouse with the school district, that aren't the latest and greatest, but could handle zoom meetings and the latest version of Office. They would just need some volunteers to help get them up and running.

Just a thought. I am going to see if I can get in touch with someone at the school board and find out if this is even a real need.

-Rick

elizabeth frank

Apr 28, 2020, 3:21:27 PM4/28/20
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Hi, Rick,
I'm in school at SF to learn computers, and I'm a former schoolteacher.  I would love to help out with any grunt work on this.  It sounds really smart.  Please let me know if you can use me.  Thanks for the idea.
Elizabeth ("E") Frank

Eric Pleace

Apr 28, 2020, 8:31:19 PM4/28/20
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,
I bet I can dig out a hard drive or 2 - any special requirements for it?
Call me Wednesday if you are still looking :-).
Eric

Corwin Klein

May 13, 2020, 2:27:07 PM5/13/20
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Hey Rick,

I too have some hard drives that I could donate. Let me know if you still need them.

-Corwin

dis7ant

May 13, 2020, 4:31:20 PM5/13/20
to gainesville-hackerspace

just adding myself to the, "yeah whatcha need" list.  I've got a few 32GB SSDs as well, if you want a boot disk that's not spinning rust.