Topo Maps for Europe, Iceland & other non-USA areas

PKB

Feb 29, 2012, 1:51:55 PM2/29/12
to Gaia GPS
Is this even an option? Topo maps - navigable topography maps -

I've tried to download the tiles I want thru all of the map options in
Gaia. I get an error when trying that with the USGS map (as I
expected). However, I don't get any errors with the Cloudmade or
MyTopo options, however, I also don't get any details on the maps -
especially no topo features. With the Open series street maps &
cloudmade street maps, I can see street info, but other than that - I
can't get any sort of navigable map outside of the USA

I guess I'll just have to stick with the soviet maps for now.....

Gaia GPS Support

Feb 29, 2012, 2:08:32 PM2/29/12
to lizki...@gmail.com
Hi there,

You can use the Open Cycle map source for international topo maps. You can check out the map online before you download the maps on your phone.

Please let me know if this solves your issue and if you have any other questions!

Regards,
Savannah

Savannah Henderson
User Support
www.GaiaGPS.com
415 335 7447

Douglas Rosenberg

Feb 29, 2012, 2:12:13 PM2/29/12
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
It looks like the Open Cycle maps offer topo data in some places but not others. I used them to good effect in Sardinia, for example, but I don't see any topo lines in Iceland.

PKB

Feb 29, 2012, 2:22:02 PM2/29/12
to Gaia GPS
@Douglas - that's exactly my issue -

I couldn't tell if my phone wasn't receiving the proper info, or if
there just wasn't info for my needs.

Looks like the Soviets are still the leader in this one.....

Anna Hentzel

Feb 29, 2012, 2:30:52 PM2/29/12
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
What's your source for Soviet maps of Iceland? If they're in the
Google maps tile style it's possible we can add them to the app.

-Anna

--
Anna Hentzel
GaiaGPS.com

PKB

Feb 29, 2012, 2:46:32 PM2/29/12
to Gaia GPS
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.atlogis.sovietmaps.free

I haven't found a trusty link to the maps online, just thru this app -
these maps aren't the newest (I mean they were developed by the USSR)