Inaccuracies of times and dates of tracks

Johnny Bagger

Jul 8, 2015, 11:40:36 AM7/8/15
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have several tracks where the time of recording is off 1-2 hours and the date is off by a day. Most of the 'date' discrepancies are on gaiagps.com, but the time discrepancies are consistent between the website and the iOS app. I have tried to reimport the problem tracks after editing them in a third party GPS application to ensure date and time are correct, but that did not change anything. For what it is worth, other GPS programs read the correct day and time of said tracks. Thanks for any help!

Bagger

Johnny Bagger

Jul 8, 2015, 4:20:49 PM7/8/15
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
After doing some research, many of these tracks were recorded in another time zone from my current location. For example, one was recorded at 4:15 PM eastern time, but iOS app and web app list this as being 2:15 PM Mountain time, which is where I currently reside. Is there a way to have the apps consider the time zone of the originally recording?

Johnny Bagger

Jul 8, 2015, 4:33:35 PM7/8/15
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
Another piece of information: even tracks that were recorded in mountain time during day light savings time are off by an hour. To add another question, can the iOS app read UTC/GMT to get a more accurate representation of time?

Ashli Baldwin

Jul 9, 2015, 5:26:00 PM7/9/15
to gaia...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bagger,

Times are all recorded in UTC, and are always displayed in local time. The relative timezone has to be set correctly on your device in order for it to work. I suspect that the date difference for the online tracks might be a time zone difference as well.

Regards,

Ashli Baldwin

User Support

Johnny Bagger

Jul 9, 2015, 11:39:29 PM7/9/15
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply. How do I set a relative time zone on my device? On my iPhone, my times zone is set to 'set automatically.' Thanks.

Johnny Bagger

Jul 10, 2015, 11:58:02 AM7/10/15
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
Even more information. The tracks that have time discrepancies were recorded with another GPS app and IMPORTED into Gaia. Also, the 'created' time listed at the bottom of my imported tracks shows the time I stopped recording rather than the time I started recording. Tracks recorded with Gaia have the 'start' time listed here and are correct. Thus, it looks like the import function may be off a bit?

Andrew Johnson

Jul 10, 2015, 1:49:28 PM7/10/15
to Gaia GPS
It sounds to me like the other program is outputting bad data and Gaia GPS is operating properly?

Is this a garbage in, garbage out situation?

Regards,
Andrew

Andrew Johnson
Founder

--

---

Message has been deleted

Johnny Bagger

Jul 10, 2015, 3:19:52 PM7/10/15
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew. After much digging into the times of my tracks, I think the right data is being exported from the other apps. I had originally thought the tracks were off an hour or so due to Gaia not reading the time of the tracks correctly. Gaia indeed reads the times correctly, it just displays the "Created" time of the track (bottom of screen when you click on a track) as the time when the track FINISHED recording as opposed to when it started---though sometimes this is off by several minutes. However, when you go to export the track via email, the data summary in the email will list the start and end times, which are 100% accurate. Thus, for whatever reason, the 'created' time is off, but the 'start' times are accurate. For emphasis, this seems to be for IMPORTED tracks only---tracks recorded with Gaia show the 'created' and 'start' times as the same. Hopefully this babble made some sort of sense. If so, perhaps how the app reads the 'created' time of imported tracks could be tweaked to reflect the actual start time of the track?

The other suggestion would be to have the app read the time zone of where it was recorded rather than the time zone where I am currently at. I think this would be make it easier to infer information about the track that way.

Thanks for listening to this...

Ashli Baldwin

Jul 13, 2015, 6:07:49 PM7/13/15
to gaia...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bagger,

In Gaia, tracks are created when you start recording them. With imported tracks, the creation time is when it is imported.

Johnny Bagger

Jul 13, 2015, 11:11:05 PM7/13/15
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ashli,

Thanks for the additional reply. Unfortunately don't think that is entirely true. Some of the imported tracks were recorded several ago, imported into Gaia only two months ago, and yet the 'created date show the day the track was actually recorded, but off a few minutes. Furthermore, the 'created' time is usually BEFORE the end of the track time, thus that time cannot be the time it was actually imported. Not trying to highlight flaws or make issues bigger than they are, but something seems off.

Bagger

Ashli Baldwin

Jul 17, 2015, 12:10:39 PM7/17/15
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
Bagger,

Thanks, I appreciate all of your feedback.