Good News! GPS and Airplane Mode in iOS 8.3

Jon

Jun 2, 2015, 3:46:11 PM6/2/15
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
I just found out (and tested) that turning Airplane Mode ON no longer disables the GPS in iOS 8.3. Enabling Airplane Mode now turns off the cellular, wifi and bluetooth radios only.

This change is hinted at in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204234 with the comment: If you have a device with iOS 8.2 or earlier, Airplane Mode will also turn off GPS.

---Jon

Charles H. Leggett

Jun 3, 2015, 11:32:32 AM6/3/15
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this, it is incredibly good news!!

This “feature” has always bugged me.
> --
>
> ---

Charles H. Leggett

Jonathan Coulter

Jun 4, 2015, 7:51:10 PM6/4/15
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
Sure enough! It works. Just tried it walking around town.

Drew Smith

Jun 5, 2015, 8:21:14 AM6/5/15
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
It does, and it (along perhaps with other OS changes) makes a significant difference in battery drainage. I recently completed a 4 day bushwhack in the Black Ridge Canyon area, and used less than a single charge, despite frequently checking Gaia for navigation (iPhone 5). I would guess that my backcountry battery life has been extended 2-3X by the changes.

Drew

Blaine Snow

Jun 26, 2015, 7:49:12 PM6/26/15
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
This is great news - I just spent three days calling AT&T and Apple Care techs none of whom could explain how GPS, airplane mode, location services, cell voice and data, and wifi all worked. I'm riding the Great Divide Mountain Bike Trail in Canada and I want GPS functionality on the trail but don't want to incur any voice/data charges while I'm in Canada. No one could tell me how to make this work. Anyway thanks for the news. Now I won't have to shell out a couple hundred for a Garmin.