Finding distance between two waypoints.

Louie

Feb 27, 2012, 10:47:46 AM2/27/12
to Gaia GPS
Apologize if this is covered in the manual or has been discussed
before. I have searched both the forum and the manual, but can find
nothing that explains how to find the distance between two waypoints.
Please help. Thank you.
Louie

Andrew Johnson

Feb 27, 2012, 5:48:18 PM2/27/12
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
Hey Louie,

The way to measure distance in Gaia is:

1) Press the Flag on the map

2) Select Create Route

3) Touch two places on the map (or more than 2 if you want multi-segment distance)

4) The distance will display in the route overview

If you just want to measure and not save the route, you can just trash the route at the end.

How does that work for you?

Regards,
Andrew

Andrew Johnson
Co-founder

Steve Harmony

Feb 27, 2012, 6:03:40 PM2/27/12
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. On my iPhone 4s I have to do a very deliberate touch,
holding my finger down for a second. A tap is not enough, at least on
my iPhone.

Andrew Johnson

Feb 29, 2012, 1:02:10 AM2/29/12
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I should have been more clear. You have to press and hold for just under half a second for each route point.

We do this so you can interact with the map normally while making a route.

Also worth noting - double tap a point to delete it.

Andrew Johnson
Co-founder

Jason St. Louis

Feb 29, 2012, 10:47:51 AM2/29/12
to gaia...@googlegroups.com, gaia...@googlegroups.com
This is perfect. Exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Jason

Mike R

Oct 16, 2012, 12:08:55 AM10/16/12
to gaia...@googlegroups.com, and...@gaiagps.com
Andrew,
Is there any chance you can add a measure tool in a future version.  Although the below method works great a little ruler would be simple and easy to use w/o remembering the route trick.
Thanks,
Mike

Andrew Johnson

Oct 16, 2012, 1:49:40 PM10/16/12
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mike,

Would you mind adding your idea to UserVoice, so others can vote and comment?

I had a look, and there is one idea for "distance rings" - http://gaiagps.uservoice.com/forums/118985-general/suggestions/2602135-distance-rings-

If you like this, give this another vote, or start a new idea.

I also think we're going to change the "touch and hold" motion on the map to show a pop-up of distance from you to that point, instead of dropping a pin, which would just be done via the Flag button.

Regards,
Andrew

Andrew Johnson
Co-founder

Mike R

Oct 16, 2012, 2:20:46 PM10/16/12
to gaia...@googlegroups.com, and...@gaiagps.com
Will do.

I really like your idea. The flag is super simple to pop down anyway.  The thing I like about your app vs others is that it is simple and efficient to use.  Add to many features and buttons and it becomes an overload.

Andrew Johnson

Oct 16, 2012, 2:34:28 PM10/16/12
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
I agree totally. I consider it a much bigger win when we can add functionality without adding more buttons.

I was sitting around the last couple of days, and I had the opportunity to fire up the .99 app that used to dominate the space. I won't name names, but I think the buttons in that app are just out of control!

Andrew Johnson
Co-founder

Andrew Johnson

Aug 8, 2016, 12:47:35 PM8/8/16
to Gustavo Seluja, Gaia GPS
Hey Gustavo,

You could use this tool to measure the distance between two waypoints, but it doesn't directly use the waypoints you created: https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/216161987-Create-A-Planned-Route

Also, please note that this Google Group is defunct. Instead, we ask folks to either:
Best regards,
Andrew

Andrew Johnson
Founder

On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 8:07 AM, Gustavo Seluja <gse...@gmail.com> wrote:
Andrew,

Can one measure the distance between two waypoints of a track that was already created?  I'm on Android (Samsung Galaxy S5).

Thx,
Gustavo