Gaia GPS + bad elf: help or, more likely, feature request

jonathan cano

Sep 11, 2015, 3:20:18 PM9/11/15
to Gaia GPS
I have a bad elf GPS and gaia GPS pro.

What I want to do is

(1) turn my phone off
(2) start a track recording on the bad elf
(3) some time later, turn on my iphone and have gaia GPS update with the current track being recorded from step (2)
(4) turn iphone off
(5) repeat (3) and (4) as desired.

I suspect this is currently not possible.  If it is possible, how to do this is non-obvious.

Christopher Kracht

Sep 12, 2015, 2:06:10 PM9/12/15
to Gaia GPS
Using Bluetooth you can do this. Put you phone in airplane mode and then turn Bluetooth back on. As long as your phone can see the Bad Elf device this should work. You cannot fully turn your phone completely off since nothing would run. So you just need to clarify what you mean when you say off. Phone portion is off in airplane mode but everything else runs. I am assuming you want to do this because there is not phone service where you are wanting to run a track and want to save battery by preventing your phone from searching for service all the time.

- Chris (GAIA User)

Ashli Baldwin

Sep 21, 2015, 5:12:59 PM9/21/15
to Gaia GPS
Hi Guys,

Just to be specific, with iOS 8.3 and above, the GPS works in Airplane Mode, so I think Chris's suggestion would work

Jonathan asked if he could turn off his phone, and use a Bad Elf device to update a track in Gaia by turning on his phone at a later time:

While Gaia is able to work with a bluetooth receiver such as a Bad Elf, it can only receive GPS points from a bluetooth GPS while the app is running, so you will have to leave your phone on to accurately record your track.

Regards,
Ashli Baldwin
Adventure Support