Gaggle barometer support for Galaxy S5

Robert Kesselring

Jun 3, 2015, 11:11:03 AM6/3/15
to gaggle...@googlegroups.com
Gaggle looks very promising, simple UI with all the right information and none of the extraneous stuff that would turn an instrument into a video game, Kudos.

I am having trouble with the barometer though. The barometer reading just says "? FlyNet 0.00mb". I know the phone has a barometer and that it works because other apps use it. Is there a way to configure Gaggle to use the phones internal barometer or does that require some new coding and an update from your end? If so, do you plan to make such an update?

Edward Cunliffe

Jun 3, 2015, 2:31:03 PM6/3/15
to gaggle...@googlegroups.com

My Nexus 4 reports pressure in Gaggle without any special set up.

Unfortunately development stopped quite a long time ago which is a real shame.

Ed

On 3 Jun 2015 11:06 am, Robert Kesselring <robertke...@gmail.com> wrote:
Gaggle looks very promising, simple UI with all the right information and none of the extraneous stuff that would turn an instrument into a video game, Kudos.

I am having trouble with the barometer though. The barometer reading just says "? FlyNet 0.00mb". I know the phone has a barometer and that it works because other apps use it. Is there a way to configure Gaggle to use the phones internal barometer or does that require some new coding and an update from your end? If so, do you plan to make such an update?

Simon Waddington

Jun 3, 2015, 10:40:47 PM6/3/15
to gaggle...@googlegroups.com
Not to diss Gaggle, it was a great app while under active development, it was also great that Kevin decided to open source it, but... without active development in terms of features and usability it was surpassed quite a long time ago.  I have found that the best app around for me is FlyMe, it's UI is bold, high contrast and simple to operate (just needs proximity sensor support for touch free operation).  It is the only app that I have been able to use in full sunlight (so long as the screen is not at an oblique angle) on a Nexus 5 (also works great on my Nexus 7).  It also has advanced features like wind speed calculation, thermal tracking, airspace mapping, live upload, competition level features, etc. etc.  However it is not open source and at some point will no longer be free but I have found it so useful and usable I will willingly pay for it.

Stefano Borini

Aug 15, 2015, 7:44:21 PM8/15/15
to Gaggle Users

On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 3:40:47 AM UTC+1, Simon Waddington wrote:
Not to diss Gaggle, it was a great app while under active development, it was also great that Kevin decided to open source it

Is it opensource? Depending on the language I might be able to join development, at least for minor things.

, but... without active development in terms of features and usability it was surpassed quite a long time ago.

No I don't think so. It's not perfect, but xcsoar is a punch in the face.

  I have found that the best app around for me is FlyMe, it's UI is bold

Could not find it. But Gaggle is just ok. It needs some UI polishing (I had a few problems) but it's heading in the right direction.
I think that one major mistake is to have an application that just shows you everything at once. As a new gliding trainee I think I am in the perfect demographics to define an interface that is intuitive and simple, but can grow as your skillset as a pilot develop.

Simon Waddington

Aug 17, 2015, 12:37:30 PM8/17/15
to gaggle...@googlegroups.com

Sorry you couldn't find Flyme. It's in beta still so not listed in the play store.  Here's a link...

http://xcglobe.com/flyme/