Bluetooth GPS problem

John Travell

Aug 21, 2013, 12:16:48 PM8/21/13
to gaggle...@googlegroups.com
Gaggle fails to display or record altitude from my Bluetooth GPS device (Global sat BT-359). Position is recorded correctly. The same symptoms exist both on my phone (android 2.3) and tablet (android 4.1).

An other app (GPS essentials) displays and correctly logs GPS altitude using exactly the same settings, but is unsuitable for use as a flight logging app, and I really need that higher accuracy in gaggle.

The internal GPS in my phone is quite low resolution and wholly inaccurate in altitude, but when that is selected as the GPS source, gaggle does log the approximation to altitude provided by the phone.

I can provide track logs if required, from both gaggle and GPS essentials.

John Travell

Marco Lissandrello

Sep 5, 2013, 10:38:03 AM9/5/13
to gaggle...@googlegroups.com
Hi John
I think every gps isn't precidion in altitude
Also for this readons is brtter use an altivario device
Lot of new devices have one embedded like barometric sensor
Or you can conrcted one via bluethoot too
Best regards
Marco

John Travell

Sep 6, 2013, 4:28:26 AM9/6/13
to gaggle...@googlegroups.com
Ok, my Bluetooth GPS is fairly accurate in altitude, witness the tracks logged by app "GPS essentials". In Gaggle any similar track has the altitude rapidly ramp down to zero and stay there. In either app the horizontal position is accurate
Can I rephrase my question.

Is anyone successfully using a Bluetooth GPS with Gaggle and getting acceptably accurate altitude logged?

Presuming there is, why does Gaggle correctly log altitude from the inaccurate internal GPS in my phone, but fail to record altitude from my Bluetooth GPS on two different android devices.

Remember that Bluetooth GPS altitude IS correctly recorded in app "GPS essentials" on those same two devices.

John T