Re: Firegoose

Christopher Bare

Sep 20, 2012, 2:29:15 PM9/20/12
to Amy Schmid, gaggle-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amy,

I tested Firegoose 1.0.289 on a fresh new OS X Lion machine and Firefox 15.0.1 and it seemed to work.

One thing to try, when you start up FF 15, go to this URL: (READ down below before you do!)

http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

It will probably offer to download a new version of Java. Don't click on that.

Java on Macs is kind-of in flux right now. I think Oracle is in the process of taking support over from Apple, who seem to be doing their best to abandon Java. Still, my unsubstantiated guess is that the Apple JVM may continue to work better for some time yet.

Find where it says: "Skip installation of the current version and test the currently installed version of Java" and click on that.

The results I get are this:

Your Java is working
Latest Java installed
Vendor: Apple
Version: Java SE 6 update 35
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.7.4
Java Architecture: 64-bit

If you don't get this, you need to look in Firefox's Tools menu, under Add-ons, then click Extensions. You should see: Java Applet Plug-in 14.4.0, last updated November 8, 2011, or something reasonably close to that. Occasionally, I have seen plug-ins that conflict with the Java plug-in. A test for that might be to create a new Firefox profile and remove any suspect plug-ins.

Finally, on OS X, you may want to look in /Applications/Utilities/ for the Java Preferences app, and make sure a recent Java is installed and the applet plug-in is enabled. I assume this should all be OK if an older version of Firefox is working.

I hope all this is helpful,

- Chris