Major release: Gaelyk 0.6

67 views
Skip to first unread message

Guillaume Laforge

unread,
Jan 8, 2011, 2:43:50 PM1/8/11
to gae...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm very pleased to announce the release of Gaelyk 0.6.

This new version is a pretty significant milestone, both in terms of features and quality.
We're really approaching a final 1.0 version!

Here's a list of the novelties, updates, and bug fixes.
  • Updated to GAE SDK 1.4.0 and Groovy 1.7.6
  • Channel service added in the binding and added a convenient method for sending messages
  • Ability to specify the "warmup request" handler through a route definition
  • Added app.gaelyk.version in the binding
  • Use a servlet context listener for initializing the plugin system
  • Initial support for the asynchronous datastore
  • Updated the task queue enhancements to use the new package (as task queues migrated from labs)
  • Introduced a Gradle build script for building Gaelyk itself
  • Increased the code coverage of the project to over 82%
  • Added before{} request and after{} request lifecycle hooks to plugins
  • Added initial Eclipse project files in the template project
  • Fixed a bug with ignore URL routes which triggered NPEs after the capabilities routing was added
  • Corrected typos in the tutorials
Be careful, however, as there are two breaking changes compared to previous versions:
  • Compared to the previous version of the toolkit, the handling of incoming emails and incoming jabber messages has changed. The GaelykIncomingEmailServlet and GaelykXmppServlet are gone. It is no longer required to have dedicated servlets for those two purposes, instead you must use the URL routing system to indicate the handlers that will take care of the incoming messages. If you were relying on those two servlets, please make sure to upgrade, and read the updated tutorial on URL routing and incoming email and jabber messages.
  • The initialization of the plugin system is not done anymore by the Groovlet and template servlet, but is done by a servlet context listener. So you'll have to update your web.xml file to specify that listener. Please have a look at the template project or the documentation on how to setup the new context listener.
You will also notice that the Gaelyk website has been updated:
  • You will find some "quick links" to go more directly to the information that matters.
  • On the front page, a list of a few live Gaelyk websites in the wild is displayed
  • A "search" section has been implemented, using Google's custom search engine, which will let you search through the Gaelyk website, the GitHub content, as well as the Gaelyk Google Group messages
  • You now have a single-page documentation option for those who wish to print the documentation (please think about the trees before printing)
  • And a PDF of the whole documentation is available, which is handy for offline browsing:
    http://gaelyk.appspot.com/gaelyk.pdf
Please download Gaelyk 0.6 here:
http://gaelyk.appspot.com/download

Contribute to Gaelyk:
http://gaelyk.appspot.com/community#repository
http://gaelyk.appspot.com/community#bugtracker

Thanks a lot for your attention and enjoy!

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
Head of Groovy Development at SpringSource
http://www.springsource.com/g2one

Vinny

unread,
Jan 8, 2011, 3:20:35 PM1/8/11
to gae...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, can't wait to play with it.
--
biz: http://www.linkedin.com/in/vincentstoessel/
personal: http://www.xaymaca-studios.com/

> --
> You've received this message because you've subscribed to the Gaelyk Google
> Group.
> To send an email to the group, please write to: gae...@googlegroups.com
> To unsuscribe from this group: gaelyk+un...@googlegroups.com
> To show more options: http://groups.google.fr/group/gaelyk?hl=en
>

traneHead

unread,
Jan 8, 2011, 5:43:21 PM1/8/11
to Gaelyk
Thank you so much for your work Guillaume!

Will move my little project to 0.6 tomorrow.


Best regards,

/David

On Jan 8, 8:43 pm, Guillaume Laforge <glafo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm very pleased to announce the r*elease of Gaelyk 0.6*.
>
> This new version is a pretty significant milestone, both in terms of
> features and quality.
> We're really approaching a final 1.0 version!
>
> Here's a list of the novelties, updates, and bug fixes.
>
>    - Updated to *GAE SDK 1.4.0* and Groovy 1.7.6
>    - Channel service added in the binding and added a convenient
> method for sending
>    messages<http://gaelyk.appspot.com/tutorial/app-engine-shortcuts#channel>
>    - Ability to specify the "*warmup
> request*<http://gaelyk.appspot.com/tutorial/url-routing#warmup>"
>    handler through a route definition
>    - Added app.gaelyk.version in the binding
>    - Use a *servlet context listener for initializing the plugin system*
>    - Initial support for the *asynchronous
> datastore*<http://gaelyk.appspot.com/tutorial/app-engine-shortcuts#async-datastore>
>    - Updated the task queue enhancements to use the new package (as task
>    queues migrated from labs)
>    - Introduced a Gradle <http://www.gradle.org/> build script for building
>    Gaelyk itself
>    - *Increased the code coverage of the project to over 82%*
>    - Added *before{} request and after{} request lifecycle hooks to
> plugins<http://gaelyk.appspot.com/tutorial/plugins#using>
>    *
>    - Added initial Eclipse project files in the template project
>    - Fixed a bug with ignore URL routes which triggered NPEs after the
>    capabilities routing was added
>    - Corrected typos in the tutorials
>
> Be careful, however, as there are *two breaking changes* compared to
> previous versions:
>
>    - Compared to the previous version of the toolkit, the handling of
>    incoming emails and incoming jabber messages has changed. *The
>    GaelykIncomingEmailServlet and GaelykXmppServlet are gone*. It is no
>    longer required to have dedicated servlets for those two purposes, instead
>    you must use the URL routing system to indicate the handlers that will take
>    care of the incoming messages. If you were relying on those two servlets,
>    please make sure to upgrade, and read the updated tutorial on URL
> routing<http://gaelyk.appspot.com/tutorial/url-routing#email-and-jabber>
>     and incoming
> email<http://gaelyk.appspot.com/tutorial/app-engine-shortcuts#incoming-mail>
>     and jabber messages<http://gaelyk.appspot.com/tutorial/app-engine-shortcuts#jabber-receiving>
>    .
>    - The initialization of the plugin system is not done anymore by the
>    Groovlet and template servlet, but is done by a *servlet context listener
>    *. So you'll have to update your web.xml file to specify that listener.
>    Please have a look at the template project or the documentation on
> how to setup
>    the new context listener<http://gaelyk.appspot.com/tutorial/setup#web-xml>
>    .
>
> You will also notice that the Gaelyk website has been updated:
>
>    - You will find some "*quick links*" to go more directly to the
>    information that matters.
>    - On the front page, a list of a few live Gaelyk websites in the wild is
>    displayed
>    - A *"search" section* has been implemented, using Google's custom search
>    engine, which will let you search through the Gaelyk website, the GitHub
>    content, as well as the Gaelyk Google Group messages
>    - You now have a *single-page documentation* option for those who wish to
>    print the documentation (please think about the trees before printing)
>    - And a *PDF of the whole documentation* is available, which is handy for
>    offline browsing:
>    http://gaelyk.appspot.com/gaelyk.pdf
>
> Please download Gaelyk 0.6 here:http://gaelyk.appspot.com/download
>
> Contribute to Gaelyk:http://gaelyk.appspot.com/community#repositoryhttp://gaelyk.appspot.com/community#bugtracker

Guillaume Laforge

unread,
Jan 9, 2011, 4:05:06 AM1/9/11
to gae...@googlegroups.com
By the way, in my announcement, I forgot to thank all those who contributed to the release!

So thanks to Benjamin, Marco, Ken.
Thanks to the person who contributed the Eclipse project files (whose name escapes me at the time I write this email).
And thank you to those I've forgotten in this email too, don't be offended :-)

Also big thanks to Mac who sponsored the project!

Please keep the ideas, contributions, help on the group, coming up!

Guillaume


--
You've received this message because you've subscribed to the Gaelyk Google Group.
To send an email to the group, please write to: gae...@googlegroups.com
To unsuscribe from this group: gaelyk+un...@googlegroups.com
To show more options: http://groups.google.fr/group/gaelyk?hl=en

Aurelian

unread,
Jan 9, 2011, 12:41:16 PM1/9/11
to Gaelyk
Great job !!!

It's a pleasure to use your framework !!

Aure.
www.lavetrinadellarte.it
www.we-sport.com

On Jan 8, 8:43 pm, Guillaume Laforge <glafo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm very pleased to announce the r*elease of Gaelyk 0.6*.
>
> This new version is a pretty significant milestone, both in terms of
> features and quality.
> We're really approaching a final 1.0 version!
>
> Here's a list of the novelties, updates, and bug fixes.
>
>    - Updated to *GAE SDK 1.4.0* and Groovy 1.7.6
>    - Channel service added in the binding and added a convenient
> method for sending
>    handler through a route definition
>    - Added app.gaelyk.version in the binding
>    - Use a *servlet context listener for initializing the plugin system*
>    - Initial support for the *asynchronous
> datastore*<http://gaelyk.appspot.com/tutorial/app-engine-shortcuts#async-datastore>
>    - Updated the task queue enhancements to use the new package (as task
>    queues migrated from labs)
>    - Introduced a Gradle <http://www.gradle.org/> build script for building
>    Gaelyk itself
>    - *Increased the code coverage of the project to over 82%*
>    - Added *before{} request and after{} request lifecycle hooks to
> plugins<http://gaelyk.appspot.com/tutorial/plugins#using>
>    *
>    - Added initial Eclipse project files in the template project
>    - Fixed a bug with ignore URL routes which triggered NPEs after the
>    capabilities routing was added
>    - Corrected typos in the tutorials
>
> Be careful, however, as there are *two breaking changes* compared to
> previous versions:
>
>    - Compared to the previous version of the toolkit, the handling of
>    incoming emails and incoming jabber messages has changed. *The
>    GaelykIncomingEmailServlet and GaelykXmppServlet are gone*. It is no
>    longer required to have dedicated servlets for those two purposes, instead
>    you must use the URL routing system to indicate the handlers that will take
>    care of the incoming messages. If you were relying on those two servlets,
>    please make sure to upgrade, and read the updated tutorial on URL
>    - The initialization of the plugin system is not done anymore by the
>    Groovlet and template servlet, but is done by a *servlet context listener
>    *. So you'll have to update your web.xml file to specify that listener.
>    Please have a look at the template project or the documentation on
> how to setup
>    the new context listener<http://gaelyk.appspot.com/tutorial/setup#web-xml>
>    .
>
> You will also notice that the Gaelyk website has been updated:
>
>    - You will find some "*quick links*" to go more directly to the
>    information that matters.
>    - On the front page, a list of a few live Gaelyk websites in the wild is
>    displayed
>    - A *"search" section* has been implemented, using Google's custom search
>    engine, which will let you search through the Gaelyk website, the GitHub
>    content, as well as the Gaelyk Google Group messages
>    - You now have a *single-page documentation* option for those who wish to
>    print the documentation (please think about the trees before printing)
>    - And a *PDF of the whole documentation* is available, which is handy for
>    offline browsing:
>    http://gaelyk.appspot.com/gaelyk.pdf
>
> Please download Gaelyk 0.6 here:http://gaelyk.appspot.com/download
>
> Contribute to Gaelyk:http://gaelyk.appspot.com/community#repositoryhttp://gaelyk.appspot.com/community#bugtracker

Guillaume Laforge

unread,
Jan 9, 2011, 1:12:33 PM1/9/11
to gae...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!

Are the two links below built on Gaelyk?

Guillaume

--
You've received this message because you've subscribed to the Gaelyk Google Group.
To send an email to the group, please write to: gae...@googlegroups.com
To unsuscribe from this group: gaelyk+un...@googlegroups.com
To show more options: http://groups.google.fr/group/gaelyk?hl=en

Aurelian

unread,
Jan 9, 2011, 3:52:38 PM1/9/11
to Gaelyk
Hi Guillaume,
The first one is build on Gaelyk, and it's really easy working on it.

We-Sport.com is deployed on AppEngine as well but it s build with GWT
and Spring 3, as at that time I didn t know about Gaelyk.

Regards,
Aure


On Jan 9, 7:12 pm, Guillaume Laforge <glafo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you!
>
> Are the two links below built on Gaelyk?
>
> Guillaume
>
> >http://gaelyk.appspot.com/community#repositoryhttp://gaelyk.appspot.c...
>
> > > Thanks a lot for your attention and enjoy!
>
> > > --
> > > Guillaume Laforge
> > > Groovy Project Manager
> > > Head of Groovy Development at SpringSourcehttp://
> >www.springsource.com/g2one
>
> > --
> > You've received this message because you've subscribed to the Gaelyk Google
> > Group.
> > To send an email to the group, please write to: gae...@googlegroups.com
> > To unsuscribe from this group: gaelyk+un...@googlegroups.com<gaelyk%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Benjamin Muschko

unread,
Jan 9, 2011, 7:32:02 PM1/9/11
to Gaelyk
Awesome, Thanks for this big release! Do you know when 0.6 will be
published on the Maven repository - http://maven-gaelyk.googlecode.com/svn/repository?
It would be great if we could make this available asap. A new plugin
is in the works. :-)

Ben

On Jan 8, 2:43 pm, Guillaume Laforge <glafo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm very pleased to announce the r*elease of Gaelyk 0.6*.
>
> This new version is a pretty significant milestone, both in terms of
> features and quality.
> We're really approaching a final 1.0 version!
>
> Here's a list of the novelties, updates, and bug fixes.
>
>    - Updated to *GAE SDK 1.4.0* and Groovy 1.7.6
>    - Channel service added in the binding and added a convenient
> method for sending
>    handler through a route definition
>    - Added app.gaelyk.version in the binding
>    - Use a *servlet context listener for initializing the plugin system*
>    - Initial support for the *asynchronous
> datastore*<http://gaelyk.appspot.com/tutorial/app-engine-shortcuts#async-datastore>
>    - Updated the task queue enhancements to use the new package (as task
>    queues migrated from labs)
>    - Introduced a Gradle <http://www.gradle.org/> build script for building
>    Gaelyk itself
>    - *Increased the code coverage of the project to over 82%*
>    - Added *before{} request and after{} request lifecycle hooks to
> plugins<http://gaelyk.appspot.com/tutorial/plugins#using>
>    *
>    - Added initial Eclipse project files in the template project
>    - Fixed a bug with ignore URL routes which triggered NPEs after the
>    capabilities routing was added
>    - Corrected typos in the tutorials
>
> Be careful, however, as there are *two breaking changes* compared to
> previous versions:
>
>    - Compared to the previous version of the toolkit, the handling of
>    incoming emails and incoming jabber messages has changed. *The
>    GaelykIncomingEmailServlet and GaelykXmppServlet are gone*. It is no
>    longer required to have dedicated servlets for those two purposes, instead
>    you must use the URL routing system to indicate the handlers that will take
>    care of the incoming messages. If you were relying on those two servlets,
>    please make sure to upgrade, and read the updated tutorial on URL
>    - The initialization of the plugin system is not done anymore by the
>    Groovlet and template servlet, but is done by a *servlet context listener
>    *. So you'll have to update your web.xml file to specify that listener.
>    Please have a look at the template project or the documentation on
> how to setup
>    the new context listener<http://gaelyk.appspot.com/tutorial/setup#web-xml>
>    .
>
> You will also notice that the Gaelyk website has been updated:
>
>    - You will find some "*quick links*" to go more directly to the
>    information that matters.
>    - On the front page, a list of a few live Gaelyk websites in the wild is
>    displayed
>    - A *"search" section* has been implemented, using Google's custom search
>    engine, which will let you search through the Gaelyk website, the GitHub
>    content, as well as the Gaelyk Google Group messages
>    - You now have a *single-page documentation* option for those who wish to
>    print the documentation (please think about the trees before printing)
>    - And a *PDF of the whole documentation* is available, which is handy for
>    offline browsing:
>    http://gaelyk.appspot.com/gaelyk.pdf
>
> Please download Gaelyk 0.6 here:http://gaelyk.appspot.com/download
>
> Contribute to Gaelyk:http://gaelyk.appspot.com/community#repositoryhttp://gaelyk.appspot.com/community#bugtracker

Guillaume Laforge

unread,
Jan 10, 2011, 2:07:29 AM1/10/11
to gae...@googlegroups.com
Hi Benjamin,

I'm not the one who's done the Maven integration, so I must confess I don't know.
I trust the developers of this integration to come up with a new release sometimes soon :-)

Guillaume

--
You've received this message because you've subscribed to the Gaelyk Google Group.
To send an email to the group, please write to: gae...@googlegroups.com
To unsuscribe from this group: gaelyk+un...@googlegroups.com

Benjamin Muschko

unread,
Jan 10, 2011, 7:17:45 AM1/10/11
to Gaelyk
OK, thanks Guillaume. I didn't know that. Hopefully, the guys will
read it here. ;-)

Ben

On Jan 10, 2:07 am, Guillaume Laforge <glafo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Benjamin,
>
> I'm not the one who's done the Maven integration, so I must confess I don't
> know.
> I trust the developers of this integration to come up with a new release
> sometimes soon :-)
>
> Guillaume
>
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 01:32, Benjamin Muschko
> <benjamin.musc...@gmail.com>wrote:
> >http://gaelyk.appspot.com/community#repositoryhttp://gaelyk.appspot.c...
>
> > > Thanks a lot for your attention and enjoy!
>
> > > --
> > > Guillaume Laforge
> > > Groovy Project Manager
> > > Head of Groovy Development at SpringSourcehttp://
> >www.springsource.com/g2one
>
> > --
> > You've received this message because you've subscribed to the Gaelyk Google
> > Group.
> > To send an email to the group, please write to: gae...@googlegroups.com
> > To unsuscribe from this group: gaelyk+un...@googlegroups.com<gaelyk%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages