Reminder: Holocaust Memorial Day 2015 - UAF Public Meetings Tues 27 Jan, Glasgow and Jan 28, Edinburgh

Keith 74

Jan 27, 2015, 11:55:52 AM1/27/15
to gs...@yahoogroups.com, g8alternat...@googlegroups.com, glasgow...@yahoogroups.com
From: uafsc...@googlemail.com
Subject: Reminder: Holocaust Memorial Day 2015 - UAF Public Meetings Tues 27 Jan, Glasgow and Jan 28, Edinburgh

Unite Against Fascism will be marking International Holocaust Memorial Day 2015, with a meeting on Tuesday 27th January, 7.30pm at the STUC, Woodlands Rd, Glasgow, G3 6NG.

Confirmed speakers for the Glasgow meeting include Helen Martin (asst. sec STUC), John Dennis (sec. Dumfries TUC and son of Kinder Transport evacuee), Amal Azzudin and Riza Salih (anti-racist campaigners and members of "Glasgow Girls", Pinar Aksi (campaigner for refugee rights and community activist), Callum Brown (anti-fascist campaigner) and John McFadden, FBU Scottish Organiser and Chair UAF Scotland.

We will also be having a Holocaust Memorial Day meeting on Wednesday 28th January, 6.00pm at the University of Edinburgh, Lecture Theatre 2, Appleton Tower, EH8 9LE.

Confirmed speakers for the Edinburgh meeting include Larry Flanagan, General Secretary of EIS, Donald Bloxham, Professor of Modern European History, University of Edinburgh, Henry Maitles, Professor of History, University of the West of Scotland, Amal Azzudin and Riza Salih (anti-racist campaigners and members of "Glasgow Girls", Pinar Aksi (campaigner for refugee rights and community activist), will also be speaking.

The aim of the meetings is not only to remember the victims of the Holocaust and why it happened, but also to draw attention to the modern day threat of fascism and racism which is on the rise across Europe and in Britain.

Holocaust Memorial Day 2015 will be especially poignant as it represents the seventieth anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau, the largest Nazi death camp. Holocaust Memorial Day provides an opportunity to pause and remember the millions who died in the Holocaust.

At a time when fascists are being elected in parts of Europe, particularly France ,Greece and Hungary, and when we have seen Nazis attempting to march through our own streets, it is more than ever necessary to explain the horrors of camps such as Auschwitz.

People need to be reminded of the genocide perpetrated by the Nazis and to understand the threat they pose today to democracy and indeed to humanity so that we really can say 'Never Again'. Please join us on Holocaust Memorial Day.

Thank you,

UAF Scotland

--
uafsc...@gmail.com

UAF Scotland
c/o Strathclyde Fire Brigades Union
4th Floor
52 St Enoch SquareGlasgow
G1 4AA
Facebook: UAF Scotland
Twitter:      @uafscot

Unite Against Fascism
www.uaf.org.uk

UAF holocaust day a5 ds.pdf
UAF holocaust day a5 ds EDINURGH ALTS (1).pdf