Shut Down Dungavel Demo and Public Meeting

Keith 74

May 25, 2015, 6:58:39 AM5/25/15
to gs...@yahoogroups.com, g8alternat...@googlegroups.com, glasgow...@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Shut Down Dungavel Demo and Public Meeting
From: glasgow...@gmail.com

Shut Down Dungavel, Sat 30th May  12.00 noon
PUBLIC MEETING, Tues 26 May, STUC Building

View this email in your browser

PUBLIC MEETING - spead the word - all welcome.
Shut Down Dungavel Detention Centre
Tuesday 26 May, 7.30pm
STUC building, 333 Woodlands Road, Glasgow, G3

Speakers:

Aamer Anwar, campaigning lawyer

Helen Martin, Ass Gen Sec  STUC

Roza Salih, Vice President Diversity & Advocacy at Strathclyde Students' Union and Glasgow Girl

Margaret Woods, Glasgow Campaign to Welcome Refugees

Facebook eventhttps://www.facebook.com/events/1452624265051403/

The Home Office have refused the STUC and the churches access to Dungavel to talk to inmates, the Scottish Government has a policy of shutting it down but we have a Tory government intent on playing the race card ever harder.   This meeting is part of the build up to the Shut Down Dungavel Demonstration on Saturday 30 May.   The speakers have all been involved in various ways in fighting against detention of refugees and we will discuss the way forward from here.

There will also be an election for a new Campaign committee and you are invited to put your name forward either by replying to this email or before the meeting in the STUC on Tuesday night.

Shut Down Dungavel

Saturday 30th May  12.00 noon

Dungavel Immigration Removal Centre

Called by the STUC and Glasgow Campaign to Welcome Refugees

The new Tory government in Westminster spells bad news for refugees and other immigrants.  On the other hand the SNP has been the most positive and welcoming of all the major political parties.  This demonstration calling for the closure of Dungavel and all the other detention centres gives us the chance to strengthen the SNP's resolve and let the Westminster government know they have a fight on their hands.  We will not let the next five years degenerate into a festival of xenophobia.  Scapegoating immigrants hurts us as well.  Note Ian Duncan Smith's idea for plastic cards and no cash for those on benefits, first tried out on asylum seekers.

Join the demonstration.
Demonstration outside Dungavel. Close down Dungavel. No one is illegal. End indefinite detention now. Refugee and migrants are welcome here.

The STUC are running buses. Want to book a place on a bus to STUC dungavel demo? Do it here #ShutDungavel
Go to: http://www.stuc.org.uk/dungave
You don't have to be a trade union member.  Just leave that part of the registration form blank.

Copyright © 2015 Glasgow Stop the War Coalition, All rights reserved.
Thanks for leaving your email address to be included on our email list.