Marxism 2014 . . . Only three weeks to go!

1 view

Keith 74

Jun 18, 2014, 10:19:58 AM6/18/14
to gs...@yahoogroups.com, g8alternat...@googlegroups.com, glasgow...@yahoogroups.com

Dear friend

  • If you have already booked your ticket for Marxism 2014 we will be sending out tickets through the post from the start of next week.  If you have not already done so please let us know if you need accommodation or the crèche. The deadline for the crèche is Monday 30th June.

  • If you have not yet booked your ticket and are planning to come to some or all of Marxism 2014 it is best to book in advance. Advance bookings are £5 cheaper than paying on the door. If you book by Thursday 3rd July then we will be able to send your ticket through the post and you will avoid the need to queue at the Box Office.
  • If you need transport Glasgow or Edinburgh to London or London to Glasgow or Edinburgh please get in touch asap. We have a few tickets still left for a cheap price. Email swpgl...@gmail.com or call 07729 814 538

Marxism 2014 will start on Thursday 10th July; the same day that up to 1.5 million workers will be on strike. Discussion about how the strikes can go forward and how we can build resistance to the Tories and austerity will take place throughout Marxism. Meetings include:

  • After 10th July strikes: How can workers win? With SWP Industrial Organiser Michael Bradley

  • Gove’s nightmare vision: How can we stop the assault on education? With teachers and campaigners from Birmingham

  • The Bedroom Tax: how can we stop the war on benefits? With Tommy Sheridan, Jane Aitcheson and Eileen Short

  • The fight against zero hours contracts with Ian Hodson (BFAWU bakers union national president) and others

  • The Labour Party and the trade unions: Has the link been broken with Mark Thomas

  • The bureaucracy and the rank and file: Will the TU leaders always stop us fighting with Karen Reissmann

  • How can the TU’s win in Cameron’s Britain? TU panel meeting

  • The crisis in mental health with Peter Beresford and Rich Moth

  • The Marxism opening rally will kick off the event with speakers from strikes and campaigns across Britain.

  • Plus meetings on Iraq, Syria and understanding imperialism today

Plus don’t forget our films and panel discussion meetings at Marxism 2014

Still the Enemy Within: The Miners strike of 1984

This new documentary recently won the Audience Award at the Sheffield documentary festival. Don’t miss the chance to see it on the big screen at Marxism 2014 followed by a panel discussion with those who are featured in it.

Miners Shot Down: South Africa after Marikana

A panel discussion involving Ronnie Kasrils, former ANC government minister, film director Rehad Desai, a miner from  Marikana and Charlie Kimber will be followed by a screening of this award winning documentary charting the days leading up to the massacre at  Marikana in August 2012

Golden Dawn: the fascist threat in Greece will be followed by a screening of Fascism Inc

Petros Constantinou, co-ordinator of Greek anti racism and anti fascist coalition Keerfa which has led the movement against the fascist Golden Dawn party will join film maker Aris Chatzistefanou and Weyman Bennett for a panel discussion.

And we have plenty of entertainment:

Which Side Are You On?

The music and politics of Pete Seeger

A celebration of the folk music legend and activists Pete Seeger, who died aged 94 earlier this year.  Jimmy Ross and Tony Harper will recall his life and times in songs, stories and pictures.

Banner Theatre perform In a Right State!

Banner Theatre have been creating plays in collaboration with unions and other campaigning organizations for 40 years. In a Right State! includes stories of defiance from NHS workers and disability and bedroom tax campaigners.

To Book online and full timetable visit:  www.marxismfestival.org.uk

Or call the Marxism Office on 020 7819 1190