Upverter

Chris Hamilton

Feb 19, 2014, 5:29:09 PM2/19/14
to fybe...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I have looked at integrating Upverter into out process.  They are trying to position themselves as the github of hardware.  I tried it a few months back, but not seriously.  So far I think it is pretty interesting, but may be a bit difficult to use till it is more finished.

They keep a master parts list and you can create your own parts and footprints.  They have the BOM integrated with some sources, but it appears to be a manually tracked database as they use mainly Digi-key and I have seen what appears to be properly added/labeled parts from Digi-key not get pricing.  The schematic capture and layout seem OK enough, but but their import/export needs work.  I know they are the only people seriously trying to support standards in file format, but the effort is not tidy.  Their python based converter appears to only work in Linux because it uses Freetype wrappers that aren't well maintained.  Their export to their JSON format for schematics doesn't seem to actually work (its progress icon just spins).

Anyone else try it out?  I would love to put all of the drawings up there and maybe even make copies available in other formats with their converter.  I figure I'll try their converter out with some Eagle and Kicad stuff, but it would be great if I could test it out with their JSON format.