Linuxfest Northwest April 24-25 (Bellingham)

Wim Kerkhoff

Mar 12, 2010, 10:42:08 AM3/12/10
to Fraser Valley Linux Users Group
I mentioned this last night. Some of you may be interested in this.
Check out http://linuxfestnorthwest.org which has tons of information,
session schedules, presentor info, etc. Here is a gratuitous copy &
paste from the info page. Their site is really well done this year.
I've been a couple times and while some sessions were "I know that", I
always came away with something new. There is something for everyone
no matter what your level or interest in Linux is.

=============

LinuxFest Northwest is an annual conference organized by the
Bellingham Linux Users Group and other Northwest User Groups to unite
and improve the Linux and Open Source Community around the Northwest
US, and Southern BC.

LinuxFest Northwest has evolved into a three tier conference: ‘Science
Fair’ based exhibit hall, focus rooms and tracks for certain
technology themes or specific Open Source groups, and an un-conference
training camp, in the style of BarCamp. While there are some
differences (LFNW does more pre-planning on the sessions), they have
the common goal of bringing smart people together in an environment
that is accessible to everyone.

This generally means that you will have a lot of smart people in a
small space who have all come with something to share and a desire to
learn. Since this is a free+cheap event and on a weekend, we also get
to welcome folks who can’t usually take the time or money to go to
commercial conferences – so it’s a lot of fun with fresh faces.

Since this is a free event and entirely volunteer run (and no, this is
not our day job), we also expect active participation from everyone
when it comes to running the conference. This is as simple as picking
up after yourself or actively fixing something if you see it’s broken.
Please feel welcome to take an active role in making this a great
event. We help set the stage, but all of you make this happen!

Sessions and Topics

Continuing from previous years, we will have a plethora of tracks.
Approximately ten tracks with extra rooms on the side for community
gatherings (BoFs). Large rooms each hold around 100 people, while
small rooms hold more than 25 attendees with laptops.

New this year
You can help make decisions on the schedule. Presenters will propose
sessions and post them to the site. You indicate your preferences for
sessions. That information will help the Fest organizers in the
schedule creation process.

There will be a cut-off date to create a final schedule, about two
weeks before the Fest. Once this is published, you’ll need to update
your personal schedule from the sessions that made the cut.

Updating your schedule is important for two reasons:

So we can schedule the presentations in the “right-size” room.
We’ll give you a live iCal view – that means you won’t miss anything –
you can walk around the Fest and always have YOUR schedule up-to-date
on your mobile phone or laptop.
Really, that means any changes during fest will be instantly
available. And all built on F/OSS technology. Ain’t that cool?

What to Bring

Your computer (and power adaptor)
A surge protector or extension cord (labeled with your name)
A notebook
Business cards
A water bottle and snacks if you want to avoid the vending machines
Cash for eats if you don’t bring snacks
An unhealthy love for all things Open Source