Promises in CommonJS

Tauren Mills

Oct 24, 2010, 2:46:06 PM10/24/10
to FuturesJS
AJ,

It seems like there is a lot of fragmentation in regards to promises
in CommonJS. I understand that you intend to make FuturesJS compliant
with CommonJS. But I'm not really clear what "compliant" means. There
are already Promises/A and Promises/B proposals. Are you planning to
implement one or the other of those proposals, if so which one? If
not, are you going to submit another proposal?

Have you been following the most recent promises discussion in
CommonJS?
http://groups.google.com/group/commonjs/browse_thread/thread/46c69db35223a2a2?hl=en

The OP in that thread created a new Promises proposal, but seems to be
getting shot down. He was told to "make a library". I fear that any
new proposal would get shot down like that. So I'm curious what your
stance is on FuturesJS -- will it be "a library", or are you hoping it
wil become another proposal?

Thanks!
Tauren

NevB

Oct 24, 2010, 5:20:38 PM10/24/10
to FuturesJS

On Oct 25, 5:46 am, Tauren Mills <yowza...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The OP in that thread created a new Promises proposal, but seems to be
> getting shot down. He was told to "make a library". I fear that any
> new proposal would get shot down like that. So I'm curious what your
> stance is on FuturesJS -- will it be "a library", or are you hoping it
> wil become another proposal?

I wouldn't characterize that thread as being "Shot down" - Kris Zyp
suggested that the new proposal could be founded on Promises/A, as
intended.

And "make a library" is a key part of testing a proposal.

Kind Regards

Neville

Tauren Mills

Oct 24, 2010, 5:37:53 PM10/24/10
to futures-j...@googlegroups.com
Neville,

To be honest, I really didn't look at the OP's proposal in much detail. But the sense I got from Kris's response was he feels Proposal/B is better than A, and that the OP's suggestions are similar to A. It came across as a courtesy response, and not that he would seriously consider a new proposal. Of course, I could be mistaken, but that's what I got from it.

Tauren

--
Please use prefixes: [Pony] Feature requests, [TestCase] Test cases, [Bug] if you're lazy. If you have contract work or position for FuturesJS devs, prefix [Bounty] or [Job].
-----

AJ ONeal

Oct 26, 2010, 1:39:44 AM10/26/10
to futures-j...@googlegroups.com
I just submitted my proposal.

I think that it should be a specification and definitely a library. I'm really disappointed that in the whole SSJS rush they seem to have forgotten the browser for the first several years.

I tried to keep it short and simple, but I'm a bit long-winded by nature.
Please clean it up where you notice it unclear or ambigious:

http://wiki.commonjs.org/wiki/Promises/KISS

I wish wikimedia would update to markdown already... I don't remember how to get my wiki syntax to look right on the proposal page.

AJ ONeal