a short summary

Barbara Dieu

Jan 22, 2010, 10:30:00 AM1/22/10
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

Please forgive me for taking so long to update you with news about
FLNW4 but I have been trying out several possibilities. I must say I
have learnt a lot in the process so sharing it with you.

While networking virtually may bring people together easily, the
reality of trying to "sell the project" to get funding for you to get
down here is a bit thornier. As usual, everyone is always interested
and delighted to hear you as long as there is no direct financial
involvement :-). While the welcome is warm and contacts easy, money is
hard to get, especially for me, as an individual who is not backed up
by any institution or business.

It is difficult to explain to traditional sponsors
(organizations/banks/telcos/educational institutions) what FLNW is
all about and how it works. People in this area want the usual ROI or
sell their own thing and be sure they control all the variables and
pace of the conference, which limits considerably our freedom to move
around and engage in the local and emergent conversations we seek.

This is why I decided to have it happen at the same time as the
Braztesol National Conference as I could justify bringing some of you
as speakers in the EduTech SIG framework. However, Braztesol does not
fund speakers either so while the "official, traditional conference"
entourage may help, the problem of who is going to put cash down for
the airfares remains. The usual sponsors for these conferences are
publishers interested in selling their wares, so their speakers are
already lined up. Can you think of any sponsors in your countries who
would be interested in sending you here? TAFE? local businesses?

So a short summary of my moves and hoping to hear suggestions from you
and an expression of interest.

At the beginning, I contacted some people from the Casa de Cultural
Digital <http://culturadigital.br/>, a cluster of small businesses and
social organizations related to the web defending open culture and
practical political and educational action. Thiago, with his NGO
Veredas and Bianca/Luciana with their Maracá and Open School were the
first persons to hear about FLNW and are interested in participating
and contributing with local organization and contacts from their
network to make it happen. However, as young grassroot activists,
they have their own projects to take care of to survive.

The second group I approached was the organizers of the recent TEDXSP
event. They heard me politely, were interested in the conference
model, promised to help but I have not heard from them ever since.
Their suggestion was to go for the one big institutional sponsor and a
big media happening, which is not, I gather, what we have in mind.

I made contact with a friend from one big Telecom and the president of
the Brazilian Association of Distance Education, who were all
interested but have asked me for a structured project, which I have
had some difficulty in organizing and writing as I am still not sure
exactly how engaged you are in making it happen, who has decided to
come, what you would like to do and how you are planning to
contribute.

I have also talked to local representatives of the NZ and AU
embassies, who are interested in helping bridge connections and find
sponsors for projects in distance education/flexible learning..etc as
long as they get a sound and structured project they can send to the
Ministry in Wellington and Canberra. The whole process, however,
takes about 2 months so I would need by NOW, a definitive expression
of interest, a full bio of those who are definitely engaged so I can
attach to a dossier I should send by next week.

Voilà! Happy 2010 and I start classes at school at the beginning of
February so my free time to go about it will be shortened
considerably.
Warm regards and hoping to hear from you soon,
Bee

--
Barbara Dieu
http://barbaradieu.com

Nancy White

Jan 22, 2010, 11:04:07 AM1/22/10
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Barbara, as you know, I am/was not planning to come this year, as
much as my beloved Brasil is a siren song. I have shared your funding
struggle with other things in the past and don't have any constructive
ideas beyond the amazing outreach you have done except personal
fundraising. If someone really wants to go, maybe the "cost" is them
asking their personal and professional networks to either microgive or
microloan. Look at what people have done with paypal accounts. A guy
who runs a CHOCOLATE network was able to fund 4,000 dollars worth of
small donations from his network. The sent him to a chocolate show in
PARIS for goodness sake.

By micro-self fundraising, you free yourself from the tyranny of
sponsors who may want to twist you in ways you don't want to go.

So my concrete, crazy suggestion is that each person who wants to go
first posts a budget that entirely covers their costs. You'd have to
give estimates of on the ground costs.

You look at that in total, then divide and ask everyone to ask their
networks to help fund the average amount.

If someone has a fab network and raises more, they contribute it in
and it lowers the average cost for others.

I think it would take each person telling a compelling story - in any
form - to start their fundraising.

Those compiled stories become the roots of the tree that is the
overall story of this journey.

Crazy?

Probably.

Doable?

I think so.

Nancy

Barbara Dieu

Jan 22, 2010, 11:24:05 AM1/22/10
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Nancy. I know microfunding works well in some areas. I have an
ex-student of mine who is an actress and managed to fund the trip of
her group from Paris and the staging of her play here in Brazil this
way. It was much more than $ 4000. Check it out:
http://www.strindbergman.com/
http://www.strindbergman.com/pagina_em_portugues.html

Warm regards,

Leigh Blackall

Jan 22, 2010, 4:20:05 PM1/22/10
to futureof...@googlegroups.com

There is the book and dvd output if we follow the nz model. I think an roi could be done on that model. Flnwbrazil book and dvd that documents the interaction between an international group of futurists and Brazilian education projects.

I can't commit until I know what having a baby means, and when exactly are we talking flnw.

Aligning the date with a major conference is a good idea, as we might be able to submit papers and get funding from our establishment

Bee -- Barbara Dieu http://barbaradieu.com http://beespace.net --

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Future of Learning in...

Derek Chirnside

Jan 23, 2010, 7:57:28 PM1/23/10
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
This is a placeholder comment from me.

I'm currently in huge transition.

Probably finishing here with my current job in a month - after 11 years.  The university has decided "We no longer need someone at your level"  :|
As a result I've had to decide what I REALLY want to be and do in the next while.  I went back to the classroom for a short stint in November just to see if I still had it (It was great, but tiring and yes I still have some teaching left in me) and I did a session on Friday for 17 VC's of Chinese universities and there is work there - if one can get there.  I've written a brief teaser-manual on teaching strategies to encourage active learning (focus on English and Physics) - lots of it with Chinese translation.  So - we shall see.
There has been a sea change here that is the quickest I have ever seen in an organisation ever, especially this big.  6 months from distributed/matrix management to Prussian army model.

Brazil.  I've chatted with Bee, and am thinking if there are locals who may be able to kick in some money to the kitty.  With no job in the future - I'd like to take this year just to do a bit of odd project work around the place, and fill in the gaps with some relief/supply teaching - this means Brazil is a little more possible.  I'm also getting some tax advice to do with this sort of activity.

-Derek
From an internet cafe in Wanaka.

From Derek Chirnside.

Leolaoshi

Jan 24, 2010, 10:07:17 PM1/24/10
to The Future of Learning in a Networked World
Hey Derek , I still remember when you were in China , you were calling
me when I was in a class at that time

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing some transtion time
now ,

and I am wondering if you would be interested in coming to China to
teach physics or English

I may help . I am also in a process of transtion time , so I
understand how it feel

happy the year of Tiger here in China

Leo take care

> 2010/1/23 Leigh Blackall <leighblack...@gmail.com>

> > There is the book and dvd output if we follow the nz model. I think an roi
> > could be done on that model. Flnwbrazil book and dvd that documents the
> > interaction between an international group of futurists and Brazilian
> > education projects.
>
> > I can't commit until I know what having a baby means, and when exactly are
> > we talking flnw.
>
> > Aligning the date with a major conference is a good idea, as we might be
> > able to submit papers and get funding from our establishment
>

> > On 23/01/2010 3:24 AM, "Barbara Dieu" <beeonl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, Nancy. I know microfunding works well in some areas. I have an
> > ex-student of mine who is an actress and managed to fund the trip of
> > her group from Paris and the staging of her play here in Brazil this
> > way. It was much more than $ 4000. Check it out:
> >http://www.strindbergman.com/
> >http://www.strindbergman.com/pagina_em_portugues.html
>
> > Warm regards,
>
> > Bee -- Barbara Dieuhttp://barbaradieu.comhttp://beespace.net--

> > "The Future of Learning in...
>
> >  --

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at

> >http://groups.google.com/group/futureoflearning?hl=en.- 隐藏被引用文字 -
>
> - 显示引用的文字 -

John Eyles

Jan 27, 2010, 10:17:13 PM1/27/10
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Dear Bee,

Thank you for doing all this great work. I know how time consuming it can be.

I would love to join FLNW4 in Brazil. Like Derek I am in a state of transition, my team at Telecom has been 'disestablished' and I am now looking at what next...Any recommendations gratefully received ( -  :

Despite my uncertain future, I wish to make FLNW4 happen for me. Here is a link to a generic CV for you to add to proposals. www.johneyles.info/John_Eyles_CV_Jan_10_Generic.pdf

I'm  currently working with teachers on some mLearning projects with High Schools here in NZ that have  support from the Ministry and EON ( www.e-o-n.org ) . I'm thinking that this could be extended to include some schools linking projects with Brazil. I'll give this more thought and see if any funding can be found... Will also chase other avenues.

OK, better run now.

All the best,

John
http://nz.linkedin.com/in/johneyles

Vance Stevens

Jan 28, 2010, 6:54:14 AM1/28/10
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm currently intending to come.  It would help very much if I could be invited to talk, as it would enhance my chances of getting the TIME which is more valuable than money where I work at the moment.  It seems prussian is the tendency for ed systems worldwide these days, no offense to anyone here who is from Prussia ;-)

I've been checking the BrazTesol website now and then.  Right now I'm at http://www.braztesol.org.br/site/view.asp?p=5.  There is a conference logo there but no link to the conference.  Will they be issuing a call for papers?  Any idea when? or have we missed it already?

Anyway if I could arrange to give a presentation I would stand a better chance of being granted time to attend, and there might even be a hope for some funding, though that could be asking a bit much.

Good luck, and keep us informed,

Vance

Barbara Dieu

Jan 28, 2010, 7:29:31 AM1/28/10
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Hello John and Vance,

As explained in my earlier post, I have tried to get sponsorship for speakers for EduTech SIG and FLNW from a number of different sources but do not think I have managed to get them for a number of reasons.

For Braztesol, most local representatives of big publishers already have their list of usual suspects:
http://www.braztesol.org.br/convencao/ConfirmedSpeakers.aspx
and EduTech SIG is not, from what I could feel, a priority.

For FLNW, the project is too vague for some and educational institutions have no money to spare.

Maybe if you can think of finding support from and have links to other publishers/software/telecoms/educational exchange agencies (thinking of John in NZ), who will exhibit and advertise their wares, which is the common practice in this kind of conference, you may stand a chance.

Maybe in your case, Vance, as you are an American national you could ask Carla and Erika whether their bi-national institution would not fund you - might be an idea to lay some foundations if they are planning to place a bid for WorldCall in the future
See commercial information in the menu of the main page (a pdf form, paradoxically in Portuguese only as it does not yet see itself as an international convention)
http://www.braztesol.org.br/convencao/Default.aspx

If you'd like to present at the conference, you'd need to submit a paper like for Tesol and it will go through the academic committee as usual.

However, you have all a standing open invitation for the EduTech SIG pre-conference event .   I would very much like to have you by my side on this day  for an open space, unconference type in the morning with some hands on in the afternoon, which would depend on the participants' needs.

The FLNW unconference afterwards , if it happens, will be the adventure we make of it  :-)

Warm regards,

Vance Stevens

Jan 28, 2010, 8:04:12 AM1/28/10
to futureof...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bee,

Would you have a link or any information on how one would submit a proposal to the official conference? I would be pleased to do that, but perhaps have not googled deeply enough ;-).

Can you provide a written invitation to present at the preconference event (something that looks "official" not now but at some point in the tuture)?  This would help me and I presume others activate our in-house support.

Vance

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Barbara Dieu <beeo...@gmail.com> wrote:

If you'd like to present at the conference, you'd need to submit a paper like for Tesol and it will go through the academic committee as usual.

However, you have all a standing open invitation for the EduTech SIG pre-conference event .   I would very much like to have you by my side on this day  for an open space, unconference type in the morning with some hands on in the afternoon, which would depend on the participants' needs.

The FLNW unconference afterwards , if it happens, will be the adventure we make of it  :-)

Warm regards,

Barbara Dieu

Jan 28, 2010, 8:08:33 AM1/28/10
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
> Would you have a link or any information on how one would submit a proposal to the official conference? I would be pleased to do that, but perhaps have not googled deeply enough ;-).
 I have sent the link in my previous mail.  You should find the information in Call for Papers link and should  submit it  online. The deadline for proposals is Feb 28th.
http://www.braztesol.org.br/convencao/Default.aspx

> Can you provide a written invitation to present at the preconference event (something that looks "official" not now but at some point in the tuture)?  This would help me and I presume others activate our in-house support.

Yes, I could definitely do this :-)
B.

Vance Stevens

Jan 28, 2010, 8:16:26 AM1/28/10
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that Bee,

It says at that link The closing date for receipt of proposals is February 28, 2010,

So there's plenty of time.

I was googling BrazTESOL and the first links that came up the last two times I tried it there was mention of the conference but not link to it, so that helped.

best,
Vance

Derek Chirnside

May 1, 2010, 6:11:54 AM5/1/10
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Bee, I am really just tidying up on this little loose thread of thinking.
I have finished at the University of Canterbury yesterday.
A long story: they wanted to change the role from Educational Designer to a Learning Adviser (a bit more like a help desk role, and take all the stuff like policy advice and staff development out)  I'm unsure of the exact future trajectory.  Contracting.  So I won't make it to Brazesol.
In your commemtn in an earlier post you spoke about publishers and 'the usual suspects'.
True here - plus the 'downturn'.  Little opportunity to find rteal funding.

-Derek

From Derek Chirnside.

Vance Stevens

May 2, 2010, 1:21:42 PM5/2/10
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Hi FLNW folks,

I'm planning to be in Brazil for the BrazTESOL conference.  I got a talk and workshop accepted there and I'm planning to go for that.

Regarding FLNW, http://flnw.wikispaces.com/brazil, Bee says Best dates: arrive on17th/18th (to give you time to recover from the jet lag) , finish trip on 28th. Some may want to stay over on 30th and 31st to do some more visiting over the weekend.

The page at http://flnw.wikispaces.com/ITINERARYBR has been static for some time but it's getting to the point where I have to make plans if I'm going to get off work for FLNW activities, as I did in Bangkok in 2008
I'm wondering if this is the correct place to ask what others are planning for this unconference-ish gig. I know that Michael will be in the area.  Others? Show of hands?

Vance

Barbara Dieu

May 14, 2010, 10:50:04 AM5/14/10
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Hi FLNWers,

Another summary of how it is developing

I called on potentially interested Brazilian individuals ,groups and
networks so that they could help me bring together all that expressed
their intention of coming here and have documented this on this list.
July was chosen as it corresponds to the winter holidays in the South
so it is easier to organize and the dates for FLNW clustered around
scheduled formal conferences so as to have more opportunities for
funding and organizing parallel events. Somewhere between 14th and end
of July seemed ideal, however this seems to be in flux.

The first contact was made with Maracá and Vereda, who are part of the
Casa da Cultura Digital, which has helped with ideas and local
contacts.

The second were the Embassies and Braztesol, who will be helping
Michael and Vance respectively for the Braztesol conference.

The third was Vivo Institute, who has just contacted me and is
interested in bringing George Siemens, Stephen Downes and Teemu
Leinonen (but beginning of August because of the disruptions that may
occur due to the World Cup - remember ours is a soccer country) so we
might do an FLNW from 23rd July onwards.

and finally ABED through Giancarlo Colombo, whom I have introduced to
the list, for whom I drew a long list of people + bios and who is
trying to contact possible sponsors in other areas to bring others and
financing other flights, our stay and transport here (no definite news
from him yet).

Check my tentative schedule until now.
http://flnw.wikispaces.com/schedule

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions.
Warm regards from Brazil,
Bee

Downes, Stephen

May 14, 2010, 11:13:36 AM5/14/10
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Hiya Barbara,

I'm basically unavailable July 19-25 because of this http://www.moncton2010.ca/home which I have long ago committed to.

After that is great, before that is a bit awkward but doable.

-- Stephen

--

STEPHEN DOWNES
Research Officer, National Research Council Canada

Downes, Stephen

May 14, 2010, 11:14:20 AM5/14/10
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Oops - meant to send that to Barbara - I hate the way this list sends reply-to info.

-- Stephen