FLNW 4 (2010) - Brazil

Barbara Dieu

Sep 25, 2009, 9:06:51 AM9/25/09
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
I have updated the FLNW wiki for 201 with some of the ideas that came
up from the brainstorm with Bianca Santana and Thiago Carrapatoso,
who work at the Casa da Cultura Digital (House of Digital Culture) and
who are helping me organize FLNW4. (invited them to join the wiki and
the list). I have also skyped Stephen Downes, who is keen on the idea
and willing to come.

During this weekend, if you have a little time, check the wiki, your
agendas and availability, brainstorm on possible sponsors and send me
ideas and feedback. We need to get the basics before the closing of
the fiscal year (October) if we want some sponsorship.
Warm regards from Brazil,
Bee

--
Barbara Dieu
http://barbaradieu.com

Nancy White

Sep 25, 2009, 12:18:19 PM9/25/09
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the leaderhship, Bee.

May I make one suggestion?  . There was some talk about last time concerning some sense of trying to invite "names" and that this was not a desirable thing. I don't really know what that means (what makes a person a "name?" ), but maybe if you DON'T list some potential people on the wiki, you leave the space more open for people to see themselves as possible participants, rather than "oh, I'm not like X, therefore I should not sign up."(I deleted my name for that reason. Not necc to reflect I'm in or out - I have not really considered it yet. But at this moment not likely.) The opposite effect may happen - which is that those people listed won't consider themselves either. LOL!

(In other words, delete the list  in there with question marks.)

Thanks

Nancy

Michael Coghlan

Sep 25, 2009, 12:19:11 PM9/25/09
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Bee - fantastic that you have just run with this and decided that Brazil is where it's at for 2010! I appreciate your pre-planning and enthusiasm. Nothing to add re sponsors etc at the moment, but you've got me excited already :-)

- Michael

Thiago Carrapatoso

Sep 25, 2009, 12:46:54 PM9/25/09
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Nancy!

... and everybody in the list! :)

Like Bee said, we are trying to find sponsors to bring about 15 people here to Brazil to discuss the Future of Learning in a total different context that you're used to. Brazil, like some will see, is a unique place where total different cultures lives side-by-side.

We thought the list was important to do the budget and show to some probably sponsors which kind of knowledge we are trying to bring to the discussion - although, Nancy, I totally agree with you. Do you have other idea that shows to the sponsor who we are trying to bring?

And for everybody know more about me, let me give a short introduction. I am the director of the non-profit organisation Veredas, which do projects using the technologies available to reach some social purpose. Veredas is one of the nine institutions that created the Casa de Cultura Digital (or House of Digital Culture, in a free translation). Our most recently project is "O Futuro do Livro" (or The Future of the Book), which create the awareness in the brazilian publisher market about how technology changed the way we see the book as an object. For this, we have the government of Nova Iguaçu (a city in the state of Rio de Janeiro) as a partner and sponsor.

I hope I could make myself clear. Sorry for any English mistakes! :)

Thanks,

Thiago Carrapatoso

Nancy White

Sep 25, 2009, 3:29:42 PM9/25/09
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Bem Vindo, Thiago! Tenho saudades do Brasil. Mais meu Portuguese nao e bom.

Suggestion? Create a page that briefly summarizes the past trips and who was on them. Pull out some of the highlights. That might attract a sponsor, nao eh?

Leigh Blackall

Sep 25, 2009, 8:29:20 PM9/25/09
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Hello all, this is great to see.

My suggestions based on the NZ experience.

Get a list of celebrity names, Downes is good, balance the gender and culture if possible, look for counter views. Nancy's suggestion of notes and highlights are a good idea, don't forget the book we made, and could make again.

Draw up a budget, (Brazil x 15 flights)+(food and accommodation) = something like $30000

That's about the same as it was for NZ.

A first step that I thought worked well was to ring around the projects and see if they had a spare $2-5000
to pitch in. For 2 grand they get a focus group session to discuss their project or any other thing they like, as well as the usual sponsorship mentions in the website and the book etc.

You should be able to raise half that way, and then you need big sponsors like Ministry. Leave those requests for later, when you have the pledged seed money.
Leigh Blackall
+64(0)21736539
skype - leigh_blackall
SL - Leroy Goalpost
http://leighblackall.blogspot.com

rgrozdanic

Sep 26, 2009, 12:31:14 AM9/26/09
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
yeah - i'm excited too :-) practicing congas now but might give the bikini a miss...

bee are you thinking july? that would be a good time for aussie educators in general (or me, at least)

and nancy you've got to go - you speak portuguese and can unembarrass the monolinguals amongst us

Stephen Downes

Sep 25, 2009, 12:38:25 PM9/25/09
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
I decided last time that it applied to me...
--

---

Stephen Downes  ~  Researcher  ~  National Research Council Canada
http://www.downes.ca  ~  ste...@downes.ca        ** Free Learning

bdieu

Sep 28, 2009, 6:07:57 PM9/28/09
to The Future of Learning in a Networked World
Thank you for all the suggestions.

>There was some talk about last time concerning some sense of trying to invite "names" and that this was not a desirable thing.
Although I see your point, Nancy, I think that whoever is interested
can well put their names up (and suggestions for other names)
independently of who is on the list. I am very happy I was invited to
NZ and had I not been, I would have hardly met any of you, the way I
did. We are all names in some way or another, at different degrees and
levels in our networks, communities, groups - the ones I have jotted
down are of those who at some point or another expressed their
interest and supported the idea of this happening in Brazil.

We do not need to have the same people all the time, variety is
crucial. As Leigh mentions, will try to balance the gender and culture
if possible, look for counter views - do not worry - you will meet
many here.

According to a paper I have recently read "repetition of interaction
may improve learning, since experience working together aids in the
identification, transfer, and application of knowledge among members
within a group." :-) Nothing new but this could well be a theme for
reflection before and during next year's FLNW open space laboratory.
What is the future of learning in a network world? Lather, rinse and
repeat? Why yes and why not?

I have thought of three modalities - f2f core group (involved all the
time), f2f temporary/local (for a certain period or just during a
local visit) and online. I am not sure about how all this will come
together but need to start somewhere so as to present it to eventual
sponsors and local networks.

Leigh, have you been in contact with Leonard Low lately? Do you think
he might be interested?

Warm regards,
Bee

Leigh Blackall

Sep 28, 2009, 6:30:40 PM9/28/09
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bee. Regarding Leonard.. I have not been in touch lately, but expect I will be in regular contact once in Canberra. I've CC'd him in this so he know's we're talking about him. Similarly, Marg is in Canberra also - with new baby so travel will be difficult (as it will be for me).

Barbara Dieu

Sep 28, 2009, 8:40:07 PM9/28/09
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
>Similarly, Marg is in Canberra also - with new baby
Hehehe...this is the future of learning :-) Lots of learning on your part.
Bon courage. It surely makes you wiser.
Are you envisaging homeschooling?

Leigh Blackall

Sep 28, 2009, 9:43:46 PM9/28/09
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Given that my entire family are shool teachers, homeschooling will be very difficult. But we will be looking for an active community, yes
Message has been deleted

alexanderhayes

Sep 29, 2009, 6:47:38 PM9/29/09
to The Future of Learning in a Networked World
Hi Bee,

As we chatted about yesterday my circumstances have changed somewhat
in the last year and in fact in the last week even more radically.

I'd love to be included in the FLNW5 ? mix and god willing in person.

I'm in job hunting mode at present so may seem a little distant but
I'm keeping tabs of things and yes...your commitment to taking it
through to it's next logical conclusion is good.

Perhaps you could think of how to use this space -
http://learningnetworkedworld.blogspot.com/

Barbara Dieu

Sep 29, 2009, 7:15:02 PM9/29/09
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,
I understand exactly how you feel - I was in the same situation at the beginning of the year, after my sabbatical. Anyway, the best of luck in finding a job that fulfills your passion (and pocket) and looking forward to seeing you demonstrating Edupov here.

> Perhaps you could think of how to use this space - http://learningnetworkedworld.blogspot.com/
As for the blogspot - I am not sure I have the password to this account. And a question - do we have to remain there or can we export the content to a wordpress.com and bring more of the flnw stuff together. I have a little time to devote to it.

Warm regards,