So Let Me See If I Understand What Will Be Happening...

1 view

Yetzirah

Apr 24, 2011, 10:59:28 AM4/24/11
to Future Of DearDiary Discussion
So, if you move DD data to Word Press, does this mean that they will
be in charge of the servers?

And this means we will be using their interface, but that you can
tweak it to do some of our favorite things?

Will our diaries still be known by Dear Diary, or will we be subsumed
into 'something something Word Press'?

I guess I don't really understand what Word Press IS.

(We finally get to her problem... sheesh)

Will we still have a DD Home Page? Or will it be a Word Press home
page when we go to our diary login?

And will more of our email addresses work for notifies etc. ? I had
to get a Gmail account for DD notifies because my sbcglobal one would
NOT play nice with DD. And I have been slowly trying to work my way
out of Gmail.

As you can see, I'm a little confused.

In a hopeful sort of way.

BTW. Sent off our donation via pay pal last night.

This discussion page is a great idea!

Steve

Apr 24, 2011, 7:38:26 PM4/24/11
to Future Of DearDiary Discussion
Ahh!
I see there is some confusion!

DD moving to WordPress doesn't mean wordpress.com - it means we use
their software to power DearDiary but it still remains totally under
our control, running on our servers with our data and other services.

I'll answer the questions intermixed below - keep reading :-)

On 25 Apr, 00:59, Yetzirah <tamsen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, if you move DD data to Word Press, does this mean that they will
> be in charge of the servers?

No, I'll still run the server, indeed, it will be exactly the server
that DD currently runs on. Check http://www.newdd.net (don't sign up
on there, it won't stay, but it gives an idea) - the template isn't
finished and may not even look like that as a change this big might be
worth changing the homepage to be a bit more eye-catchy too :-)

But, simple answer to that question, no, I'll still run the server :-)

> And this means we will be using their interface, but that you can
> tweak it to do some of our favorite things?

Yes, this one is fairly correct. Because we're using their software on
our server, the admin screens will be their interface but with some
significant tweaks by me.

> Will our diaries still be known by Dear Diary, or will we be subsumed
> into 'something something Word Press'?

Will still be deardiary.net - we will then have the choice of, for
example, yetzirah.deardiary.net or www.deardiary.net/yetzirah for the
direct URL. I'm slightly favouring the latter at this point but open
to what people would prefer. I can possibly even allow both, not
looked into it too far yet.

> I guess I don't really understand what Word Press IS.

:-)

> (We finally get to her problem... sheesh)
>
> Will we still have a DD Home Page?  Or will it be a Word Press home
> page when we go to our diary login?

It'll still be DearDiary, as per newdd.net mentioned above.

> And will more of our email addresses work for notifies etc. ?  I had
> to get a Gmail account for DD notifies because my sbcglobal one would
> NOT play nice with DD. And I have been slowly trying to work my way
> out of Gmail.

The notifies won't change as they'll still originate from our server.
Having said that, I'm prepared to have a look at what's going on with
SBCGlobal again if need be once the new engine is in place. It could
well be something that the current software is causing and the new
software will solve, though I'm not sure if that'd be the case or not!

> As you can see, I'm a little confused.
>
> In a hopeful sort of way.
>
> BTW. Sent off our donation via pay pal last night.

Thanks for that - I shall be posting an update on DD shortly to let
people know what's happened and the overwhelming response we've
received!

> This discussion page is a great idea!

Shoulda done this years ago eh? :-)

Yetzirah

Apr 24, 2011, 10:50:22 PM4/24/11
to Future Of DearDiary Discussion
Well, that cleared away a lot of brain fog on my part!

Sounds like a positive thing all around.

Let's see if anyone else was as confused as me!!

Y.