java.lang.NullPointerException when using stack trace feature from Fusion Reactor web UI

Daniel Heighton

Sep 21, 2018, 4:34:03 PM9/21/18
to FusionReactor
On both of our FR instances, we are getting a null pointer exception when trying to stack trace running requests. I've attached a screenshot, and included the raw text.

I've restarted both the Coldfusion service, and the physical machine, and it hasn't changed it. I haven't yet tried to reinstall the service into the CF instance from FRAM, but will during maintenance this weekend.

I first noticed the behavior after we updated to 7.4.1, but can't be sure on timeline, as I don't stack trace everyday.

FR Version:
Revision: 7.4.1, Build: fusionreactor.40.79843.branches/FR-7.4.x-MAINT

Running on Windows Server 2016.

Raw Text:

java.lang.NullPointerException

com.intergral.fusionreactor.plugin.ui.internal.pages.resources.TraceThreads.doSingle(TraceThreads.java:582)
com.intergral.fusionreactor.plugin.ui.internal.pages.resources.TraceThreads.doCommand(TraceThreads.java:165)
com.intergral.fusionreactor.plugin.ui.extendables.PageContributorImpl.doCommand(PageContributorImpl.java:238)
com.intergral.fusionreactor.filter.osgi.PageTracker.getResponseFromPageContributor(PageTracker.java:518)
com.intergral.fusionreactor.filter.osgi.PageTracker._getResponse(PageTracker.java:394)
com.intergral.fusionreactor.filter.osgi.PageTracker.getResponse(PageTracker.java:256)
com.intergral.fusionreactor.filter.osgi.FusionReactorOSGIServlet.service(FusionReactorOSGIServlet.java:61)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.handler.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:96)
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.handler.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:79)
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.dispatch.ServletPipeline.handle(ServletPipeline.java:42)
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.dispatch.InvocationFilterChain.doFilter(InvocationFilterChain.java:49)
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.dispatch.HttpFilterChain.doFilter(HttpFilterChain.java:33)
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.dispatch.FilterPipeline.dispatch(FilterPipeline.java:48)
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.dispatch.Dispatcher.dispatch(Dispatcher.java:39)
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.DispatcherServlet.service(DispatcherServlet.java:67)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:652)
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:445)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:225)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1044)
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:372)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:189)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:978)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:135)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:116)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:369)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractHttpConnection.handleRequest(AbstractHttpConnection.java:486)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractHttpConnection.headerComplete(AbstractHttpConnection.java:933)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractHttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(AbstractHttpConnection.java:995)
org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:644)
org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:235)
org.eclipse.jetty.server.AsyncHttpConnection.handle(AsyncHttpConnection.java:82)
org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.handle(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:667)
org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint$1.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:52)
org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:608)
org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:543)
java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

2018-09-21 14_32_28-Running Transactions_ WebRequest - FusionReactor - cfusion.cf2016.1.png

charlie arehart

Sep 21, 2018, 5:56:25 PM9/21/18
to fusion...@googlegroups.com

Yep, that’s a sudden new bug, that the team knows about (I experienced this with a client who reported it, and that was the response). So assuming it came in 7.4.1, you could revert back to 7.4.0 if you had the installer (sadly there seems no means on the FR site to access prior installers, that I readily see).

An FR engineer may hop in here and let us know of a better solution (or whether a fix in a new update is pending). As you may know, they are based in Germany and it’s already evening, and now with the weekend, we may not see a solution until next week (if then, depending on how hard it is to solve), but hopefully someone will respond sooner.

/charlie

Sep 23, 2018, 5:50:39 PM9/23/18
to FusionReactor
Hi Daniel,

As Charlie mentioned this is a known bug with FusionReactor, we have developed a fix for this that should be released in the next few days.

As a workaround downgrading to a pre 7.4.0 instance should resolve this issue, alternatively If you can send your license key to sup...@fusion-reactor.com I can send you an ultimate edition license so you will no longer see this NPE.

Regards,
Michael Flewitt
FusionReactor SupportTeam

Daniel Heighton

Sep 24, 2018, 6:38:23 PM9/24/18
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
I'll wait for the fix. We found a temp work around that covers our use cases so far. If you go to kill a thread, it shows the last 5 frames of the stack trace.

It's not a daily issue right now, just when you need it, you need it.

--Daniel Heighton
--VP of Technology
--435-586-1205 x120

charlie arehart