Making reactor.conf email settings transferable

Nick S.

Mar 3, 2018, 11:13:44 AM3/3/18
to FusionReactor
We're trying to save our Fusion Reactor email settings in a reactor.conf so it gets deployed to a container running on AWS. We can't seem to find the correct way to save the email authentication settings. The problem in particular has been with the password value and I can't seem to find anything in the docs..

For example:
crashprotection.email.server=email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com
crashprotection.email.server.user=mailserverusername
crashprotection.email.server.password=mailserverpassword

Saving the correct password in a local instance and inspecting the reactor.conf, it seems the password is encrypted, which is great, but I can't seem to then take that value to a running container and authentication fails.

A saved plain value in password also doesn't work.

username:pass...@mailserver.com also is not working. In this case, the server.user and server.password values are left empty. it seems FR has a default value in the password field and I don't know where this default value is coming from. If I manually empty that out, the authentication works and the test email gets sent.

Has anyone solved this? We would really like to get some of the notification settings configured and working properly

Nick S.

Mar 4, 2018, 5:14:37 PM3/4/18
to FusionReactor
Actually, seems like the username:password@mailserver.com approach actually works but testing from the setting form on an instance doesn't unless you also clear out the pre-populated default password

michael...@intergral.com

Mar 5, 2018, 6:04:19 AM3/5/18
to FusionReactor
When transferring the email config from one server to another the best practice is to do the following:

1.Configure the mail server in a single instance of FusionReactor
2. Open the reactor.conf file of the configured instance, this file is located at {FusionReactor Directory}/instance/{Instance Name}/conf/reactor.conf
3. Copy all line beginning with crashprotection.email.server, in my case:
4. Append these arguments to the reactor.conf file of another instance and the email server should be configured.

The reason we suggest you clone these settings from another instance is that FusionReactor encrypts the mail server password and we do not expose a tool to encrypt these passwords outside of FusionReactor.

When FusionReactor starts it's default value for the email password will be nothing, but during the startup process values will be read from the reactor.conf file and replace the default value.

The fact that in your case the user and password for the server are not being read in indicates to me a possible permissions issue reading from the reactor.conf file.

I would be happy to take a look at this for you on a call.

Regards,

Michael Flewitt
FusionReactor Support Engineer

On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 11:14:37 PM UTC+1, Nick S. wrote:
Actually, seems like the username...@mailserver.com approach actually works but testing from the setting form on an instance doesn't unless you also clear out the pre-populated default password