Problem while trying to setup FusionDebug with Tomcat on VM

EJ Jaquet

Dec 30, 2010, 1:19:01 PM12/30/10
to FusionDebug
Hi All,

Today I installed a new Virtual Ubuntu Server. I run the Ubuntu server
on my my Mac with VMWare Fusion.

I use Apache 2.2, Tomcat and Railo 3.2.

This setup is working great, I can not, however, create a succesfull
Fusion Debug session.

I followd the tutorial mentioned here, by Dan Skagg. When i look in my
console, I can see the Tomcat is started in debug mode and is
listening on port 8000. However, when I fill in the debug session
information in Eclipse and try to start a debugging session, this is
what I get:

Couldn't launch a debug session: Could not connect to server http://railo-server
on port 8000. Ensure the server has correctly been configured for
debugging and try again.
Could not connect to server http://railo-server on port 8000. Ensure
the server has correctly been configured for debugging and try again.
unable to parse port number in address

Any help would be appreciatied, since I am only one step away from a
perfect development environment!

Kind regards.

Erik-Jan Jaquet

k...@inner-rhythm.co.uk

Dec 30, 2010, 2:40:51 PM12/30/10
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
Firewall settings on the vm?

EJ Jaquet

Dec 30, 2010, 3:52:09 PM12/30/10
to FusionDebug
Never mind guys, I changed the port number and now it seems to be
working ok. At least I can start the debugging session now. Now if I
could only get it to listen and respond to my breakpoint... Guess I
should be reading the manual first!

Kind regards,

Erik-Jan

On 30 dec, 20:40, k...@inner-rhythm.co.uk wrote:
> Firewall settings on the vm?

charlie arehart

Dec 30, 2010, 4:03:37 PM12/30/10
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
Well, yes, the manual will really help a lot. Things may not be as obvious as they
seem.

For instance, I was going to write that indeed your port 8000 sounded more like a web
server port than a debugger port. I wondered if perhaps the tutorial by Dan you'd
mentioned had somehow not made that clear, but I didn't have time to look into it. The
docs will clarify such things, for sure.

Also, failure for a breakpoint to fire is indeed a common source of confusion Besides
the docs, you'll also find value in the knowledge base on the fusion-reactor.com site.

Hope you resolve your issue.

/charlie

EJ Jaquet

Dec 30, 2010, 4:27:31 PM12/30/10
to FusionDebug
Hi Charlie,

But isn't port 8000 the default port FusionDebug uses? This is in the
docs:

<jvm-arg>-
Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=8000</jvm-
arg>

And that is what I used to add to my Tomcat config. But when I changed
the address to another port (8011) I could connect to the debug
server.

But now I followed a simple example from the site, and tried to step
into a simple loop:

<cfloop from="1" to="3" index="i">

</cfloop>

With a breakpoint on the first line with the loop. I duplicated the
code from one of the screencasts. But no matter what I do, I won't
'step into' anything. I just shows the output of the page as if I
wasn't debugging at all. What am I doing wrong?

Erik-Jan

On 30 dec, 22:03, "charlie arehart" <charlie_li...@carehart.org>

EJ Jaquet

Dec 30, 2010, 5:07:59 PM12/30/10
to FusionDebug
Ok, I went through the knowledge base, and I now know that I seem to
have done everything according to the manual.

- debug session is running, I see that in the debug view
- my breakpoint isn't on an empty line, but on a line with CF code
- The path to the code on the webserver is correct (it show the
complete path to the server file next to the breakpoint and the path
shown IS the correct path on the server)
- I did not check the 'Server is on Windows' checkbox, since I am
using a linux server

So everything is configured correctly. Yet something simple like this
test with one breakpoint is doing nothing. I am clearly missing
something, but what?

Erik-Jan

charlie arehart

Dec 30, 2010, 5:16:43 PM12/30/10
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
My bad for mistaking that. When you mentioned using Tomcat, which I don't use, I
thought that perhaps it was its default web server port. And when you said you changed
the port and it solved things, I didn't investigate further.

In that you said you changed it and it worked, I'm curious: did CF simply not come up
when the wrong port was used? That's what I would expect if it was already in use by
something else. If it came up, but you couldn't access it via FD, then as Kev said,
perhaps it was a firewall issue.

As for your problem stepping, well, it's not generally going to have anything to do
with the code itself. It's all about proper configuration, of both CF, FD, and perhaps
how you've opened the file in Eclipse. I'd rather not relate all the possible things
that could explain it. I had anticipated your problems by pointing out the value of
the docs and the knowledge base. Had you checked those out, especially:

http://www.fusion-reactor.com/support/kb/FDS-4.cfm
http://www.fusion-reactor.com/support/kb/FDS-100.cfm

Hope that helps.

/charlie

EJ Jaquet

Dec 30, 2010, 5:35:52 PM12/30/10
to FusionDebug
Hi Charlie,

Yes, I did read those articles. But they did not help me much.

Article FusionDebug Technote - FDS-100 talks about a checkbox that I
cannot find. I states:

"Eclipse folder structure mirrors webserver
This setting tells FusionDebug whether the folder layout inside your
Eclipse project mirrors the files which are actually served by
ColdFusion.
This setting is important for FusionDebug to be able to accurately
tell when a breakpoint has fired. The following graphics illustrate
how this option can be set."

I can't seem to find a checkbox where I can check or change this
setting. Am I overlooking something?

And I have followed the FDS-4 article to the letter, which is what I
stated in my earlier mail. The settings to the web server paths are
correct, the breakpoint is on a line with CF code, I have tried to
alter and then save the file... But nothing works...

On 30 dec, 23:16, "charlie arehart" <charlie_li...@carehart.org>
wrote:
> My bad for mistaking that. When you mentioned using Tomcat, which I don't use, I
> thought that perhaps it was its default web server port. And when you said you changed
> the port and it solved things, I didn't investigate further.
>
> In that you said you changed it and it worked, I'm curious: did CF simply not come up
> when the wrong port was used? That's what I would expect if it was already in use by
> something else. If it came up, but you couldn't access it via FD, then as Kev said,
> perhaps it was a firewall issue.
>
> As for your problem stepping, well, it's not generally going to have anything to do
> with the code itself. It's all about proper configuration, of both CF, FD, and perhaps
> how you've opened the file in Eclipse. I'd rather not relate all the possible things
> that could explain it. I had anticipated your problems by pointing out the value of
> the docs and the knowledge base. Had you checked those out, especially:
>
> http://www.fusion-reactor.com/support/kb/FDS-4.cfmhttp://www.fusion-reactor.com/support/kb/FDS-100.cfm

charlie arehart

Dec 30, 2010, 5:47:56 PM12/30/10
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
Sorry you're still suffering, EJ. To be clear, I had sent my last note just before
seeing your next one, just before this one.

Sometimes things go very easily, sometimes people get tripped up. It's almost always a
very simple thing that explains it--once it's understood. The challenge is getting
there, which is all the more difficult to do over email, since there are just so many
little things that you may have done or not done that could be influencing things.

As for the checkbox you see, it could be that that was written for an older version of
FD. I don't work with it quite as much as I used to, so I'll have to leave others to
help you with that and the challenges.

I will say that the FD team has tried to help by providing simple tools/techniques as
part of the install and docs, which should help anyone get things up and running
correctly. I hear you saying you've "gone through the knowledge base" and "have done
everything according to the manual", so I'll understand your annoyance in that you're
still challenged.

As those KB articles haven't helped, perhaps others will come through with more
suggestions. Just be aware that the FD team is in Europe and so about 6 hours ahead of
US ET. You may not hear from them or others in Europe until the morning.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

/charlie

EJ Jaquet

Dec 31, 2010, 4:09:30 AM12/31/10
to FusionDebug
Hi Charlie,

Sorry if I sounded a bit 'cranky' or frustrated in my mails. That was
never the intention. But (since I am in Europe too!) it was late and
this was the last thing on the to-do list yesterday. I was hoping to
get this working before today.

As you said, the knowledge base did not help me solve the problem,
although it did give me a better understanding of al the settings.

So for now, I hop that the people from FusionDebug are working to day,
I really would like to get this working.

Kind regards,

Erik-Jan

On 30 dec, 23:47, "charlie arehart" <charlie_li...@carehart.org>

charlie arehart

Dec 31, 2010, 10:52:53 AM12/31/10
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
Oh sure, and sorry if I somehow implied that in my email. That wasn't my intention,
either. :-) I could just sense the real challenge, and of course we all here want to
see people happy and successful with FD. :-)

You make an interesting point: given that it's new year's eve, there may be few who
will be on today, and perhaps into the weekend. Let's hope though. Along those lines,
I was hoping to convey in my last note that if you can be patient, it should be able
to be sorted, and hopefully it would be worth the wait, for the benefits it would give
you long afterward for being able to do debugging readily. :-)

/charlie

EJ Jaquet

Jan 1, 2011, 5:08:23 AM1/1/11
to FusionDebug
Hi Charlie,

I filled in the support form on the website, and someone was in touch
with me right away! So great service there. But as always is the case,
during the explanation of the issue, I spotted something strange in
the paths on my VM, and was able to solve the problem by myself!

What was the case. As I stated, I have a VM running Linux on my
Macbook. In the VM I mounted my sites directory, so that I can run
Eclipse locally.
To mimic my production environment, I created a symbolic link with all
my sites being in /var/www/... on my VM.

So far so good. But although I had set up Tomcat and Apache to look
at /var/www/, and also Fusion Debug, I noticed that the Railo server
was in fact using the mount point (/mnt/hgfs/...) directly.

So although I was referring to var/www/ my server wasn't. So I changed
the source code lookup, to look at the mount point directly, and
voila! That solved the problem!

So I just spent the first morning of the new year drinking coffee and
watching the webinar about FB on Youtube. I am now ready for some
serious debugging!

So thanks for the support, and happy new year for all!

Kind regards,

Erik-Jan Jaquet

On 31 dec 2010, 16:52, "charlie arehart" <charlie_li...@carehart.org>

charlie arehart

Jan 1, 2011, 11:29:44 AM1/1/11
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update, EJ. Glad you got it resolved.

Some may recall that in my first email of the thread, I had said (among other things):

"As for your problem stepping, ... it's all about proper configuration, of both CF, FD
...."

It really is nearly always something in the setup that can trip one up. And yes,
differences in local vs remote config can also trip one up. Really, problems like this
have plagued CFML editors going back to CF Studio and Dreamweaver, and their features
to browse code on local vs remote servers (and CF Studio's CFML debugging that lasted
only for CF 4 and 5). It makes it also all the harder to anticipate and help
troubleshoot over email, but again, patience paid off. Enjoy FD.

/charlie