Issues attaching debugger under Kubuntu 12.04, getting error

Thomas Campbell-Adams

Jul 25, 2012, 12:41:34 PM7/25/12
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
Under Kubuntu 12.04, I'm getting the following error on the server when trying to attach FusionDebug to Railo/Tomcat on port 8000:

Debugger failed to attach: recv failed during handshake: Resource temporarily unavailable

And the debugger in Eclipse just says it failed to connect.

I've been looking all over for a way to fix this and have come up with nothing. Has anyone found a way to resolve this error?

charlie arehart

Jul 25, 2012, 2:41:54 PM7/25/12
to fusio...@googlegroups.com

Thomas, welcome to the group. Here are some thoughts to consider while you await a reply from Intergral.

I realize your message, adding “Resource temporarily unavailable” does perhaps point to something unique about your problem, but separate from that, there are some fundamentals troubleshooting steps we ought to consider, if you have not already done so.

First, is the Tomcat server on a separate machine from FD? If so, could it be a firewall issue? Can you do a telnet from the FD machine to the intended machine and get a reply, such as:

telnet machinename 8000

If that gives an error, then either the port is blocked by a firewall or is not being listened upon at all. On the box running Tomcat itself, what if you do telnet localhost 8000?

Of course, there could be something else entirely. There are specific details for FD/Railo configuration you’ll want to look at if you have not:

http://www.fusion-debug.com/fd/howto/railoserverconfig.cfm
http://www.fusion-reactor.com/support/kb/FDS-103.cfm
http://www.fusion-reactor.com/community/developers/autodev_detailed.cfm?article=FDS-118 (video)

And of course the user guide may help, and there’s a troubleshooting page (http://docs.intergral.com/display/FD35/Troubleshooting) but not much more than what we’ve discussed already.

Hope that helps.

/charlie

Thomas Campbell-Adams

Jul 25, 2012, 4:14:48 PM7/25/12
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:41:54 PM UTC-6, charlie arehart wrote:

First, is the Tomcat server on a separate machine from FD?

No, this is all localhost. Railo is running on the same computer as FusionDebug is.

If so, could it be a firewall issue? Can you do a telnet from the FD machine to the intended machine and get a reply, such as:

telnet machinename 8000

 I can connect to the server using this. However, the debugger still gives me the same error.

charlie arehart

Jul 25, 2012, 4:50:42 PM7/25/12
to fusio...@googlegroups.com

OK, on that. And any response about those 3 resources? Just trying to help, while you await an answer from Intergral. Can’t tell if maybe your reply got cut off or sent before you finished, perhaps.

/charlie

Thomas Campbell-Adams

Jul 26, 2012, 12:53:15 PM7/26/12
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
Oh, sorry. I forgot the last part of that message. Yes, I tried the resources, but none seemed to help. I'm still having the same issue.

Darren Pywell [FusionDebug Team]

Jul 26, 2012, 2:31:55 PM7/26/12
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sounds like the port could be in use from something else. Could you try changing the port to 8003.

Also can you post the java args that you start the JVM with. They should be something like:

-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8000,server=y,suspend=n

You need to make sure that you take any GC options out like -XX:+UseParallelGC

It would also be worth trying to connect with the basic Java debugger with the jdb command: e.g.

jdb -attach 8000

Cheers,
Darren

Charlie Arehart

Aug 8, 2012, 6:17:28 PM8/8/12
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
Thomas, did you ever resolve your problem?

/charlie

Mar 26, 2013, 10:25:05 AM3/26/13
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
I am seeing the issue as well under Windows. The error message:

"Debugger failed to attach: recv failed during handshake: Resource temporarily unavailable"

is displayed in the stdout console by ColdFusion, so if I understand correctly the client is able to reach tbe debugger service on the specified port, only something goes wrong during the TCP handshake.

Any ideas?

David Stockton

Mar 26, 2013, 10:28:22 AM3/26/13
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
Hello Martijn,

Can you confirm you have a) disabled ColdFusion's built in step-debugging listener b) you have set the JVM arguments in the jvm.config file and c) CF is definitely the application that's listening on the port (i.e. no other application is using that port)?

Best regards,
David Stockton
Fusion Support Team

Martijn van der Woud

Mar 26, 2013, 11:35:10 AM3/26/13
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Thank you for the quick reply! Unfortunately, the answers to your questions are yes, yes and yes. I already tried changing the port number; getting the same error.

Best regards,
Martijn

Martijn van der Woud

Mar 26, 2013, 12:10:45 PM3/26/13
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
FWIW I was able to connect to the JVM using the commandline like this.

jdb -connect com.sun.jdi.SocketAttach:hostname=localhost,port=8000

the threads command gave me a list of active threads.

Looks like the JVM configuration is allright, which leaves the Debug configuration in Eclipse. The strange thing is that I am able to connect FusionDebug to another instance of CF10, running on a remote machine within the local network. The debug configuration for my local machine is identical, except for the host IP and the location of the CFML Server Folder, which I have double-checked about a dozen times.

buki

Mar 26, 2013, 1:01:42 PM3/26/13
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
I am having the same problem.

Here is my environment information:

Windows 7
Eclipse Jave EE IDE Juno Service Release 1
Railo 3.3.1
Tomcat 7
CFEclipse 1.4.3
FusionDebug 3.5.0

Tomcat shows the following error message when I try to connect the debugger:

Debugger failed to attach: recv failed during handshake: Resource temporarily unavailable

Fusion debug shows the following error when I try to connect the debugger:

Couldn't launch a debug session: Could not connect to server local.buckeye.railo on port 8000. Ensure the server has correctly been configured for debugging and try again.
Could not connect to server localhost on port 8000. Ensure the server has correctly been configured for debugging and try again.
com.intergral.fusiondebug.client.model.FDModelConnectionException: java.io.IOException: Target failed to handshake.

I have tried different port settings, i.e. 8001, 9999, etc. I get the same error with the different ports. I used "telnet localhost 8000" to make sure I don't have a firewall problem.

Since my version of Railo does not have a start.bat, I modified catalina.bat to start the tomcat debugger. I found this information on a blog.

http://www.tntechnohermit.com/2009/05/07/configure-fusiondebug-3-beta-for-use-with-railo-31-on-tomcat/

I added the following line near the top of catalina.bat:

SET CATALINA_OPTS=-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=8000

It would be great if somone could help me configure the debugger.

David Stockton

Apr 12, 2013, 6:57:13 AM4/12/13
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Thank you to all following this thread and posting helpful information & contacting us via support email.

We have diagnosed & provided a fix to this issue. Details are posted to our website on this technote:

Many thanks for your patience,
David Stockton
Fusion Team