RE: [fusiondebug] FusionDebug and Eclipse 4.2 Juno

Charlie Arehart

Sep 17, 2012, 9:40:06 AM9/17/12
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
Andrew, yes, I have run FusionDebug on Eclipse 4.2/Juno, with CF9. (It's not
formally supported, but yes, it has worked for me.)

As for your problem, "could not connect to server localhost on port 8000",
I'd suspect it could be a firewall problem as likely as anything else.

Is the machine on which Eclipse is running different from that which is
running CF or Railo? If so, that port 8000 (which FD uses by default) is not
a port that most servers would have "open" by default. You would need to
configure the firewall on the server to permit either your specific IP
addresses, or all, or all in some range, to be allowed to call it.

If you have a telnet client installed on your machine, you can try telnet
servername 8000 to see what happens. If it goes blank, it means you could
connect. If it gives a similar 'cannot connect" error, then either the port
is not open, or the server you're trying to connect to is not listening on
that port.

In the latter case, go onto the server itself and do a telnet locahost 8000
(or any of various other means available) to confirm if the port is indeed
being listened to by something on the server. BTW, you mention testing
things with both CF and Railo: note that only one of these at a time could
be listening on that port. In fact, if you left the JVM.config setup for
each to use that one port, then whichever came up first would get it, and
whichever came up next would fail to start. You may want to make sure you
can browse pages from your development environment on the server in
question, on either CF or Railo.

There's nearly always some other explanation for why things don't work with
a remote debugger like FD. It's rarely that "it doesn't work". Be sure to
check out.

Finally, are you saying that you have had Eclipse 3.6 (Helios, the last
release that FD "formally supports"), or perhaps 3.7.2 (Indigo) running on
the same box from which you are now testing Juno? If you were able to, then
it would be more reasonable to question the deployment of FD onto Eclipse,
but if not, then again it begs the question of whether the problem may
really be on the server, or between you and the server.

Hope that helps.

/charlie

Sep 17, 2012, 10:11:32 AM9/17/12
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply.  Knowing that someone has it working means that it does work...  I assumed that it did.  I will try you suggestions.

FYI.  All of this is running on the same workstation. Just not at the same time.  I have batch files that turn stuff on / off.
        My day job requires CF9 so and that is where the problem needs to be debugged.

Hopefully I will figure out what is causing FusionDebug's connection issue.  I also realize that it might have nothing to do
with FusionDebug as the net is great until something stops working then where in this 1000 pieces is the one thing that is broken.

Andy

Charlie Arehart

Sep 17, 2012, 11:23:37 AM9/17/12
to fusio...@googlegroups.com

Yep, there are a lot of moving parts, just in getting a web app to run, let alone setting things up to do step debugging. But it can and does work. Hopefully you’ll resolve it.  Shoot any more thoughts this way for folks to try to help if we might.

/charlie

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/fusiondebug/-/ot339P36NXMJ.

michael crumpton

Sep 17, 2012, 12:01:20 PM9/17/12
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

We are going to try this out here with the same environment as you have to ensure it works as we expect, if we do find anything out of the ordinary we shall let you know.

Thanks
Mike[FusionDebug Team]

michael crumpton[FusionDebug Team]

Sep 19, 2012, 11:08:06 AM9/19/12
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

We have looked into this and have been able to use Fusion Debug with the same environment you have set up, we can help you further if you have any questions or more information that you think might be beneficial.

Thanks
Mike

Andrew Penhorwood

Sep 19, 2012, 12:58:59 PM9/19/12
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback.  I am knee deep in work at the moment so not sure when I can revisit this issue.  I underlining issue with the code I was trying to fix was resolved another way.  But I am interested and hope to get back to making this work.

Andrew Penhorwood

Andrew Penhorwood

Sep 20, 2012, 9:08:55 AM9/20/12
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
Still not working for me.

Here are the java args from jvm.config

java.args=-server -Xmx512m -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -XX:MaxPermSize=192m -Dcoldfusion.rootDir={application.home}/../ -Djava.security.policy={application.home}/../lib/coldfusion.policy -Djava.security.auth.policy={application.home}/../lib/neo_jaas.policy -Dcoldfusion.classPath={application.home}/../lib/updates,{application.home}/../lib,{application.home}/../gateway/lib/,{application.home}/../wwwroot/WEB-INF/cfform/jars,{application.home}/../wwwroot/WEB-INF/flex/jars -Dcoldfusion.libPath={application.home}/../lib -Djava.compiler=NONE -Xnoagent -Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8000,server=y,suspend=n

Now I did not write any of this I just installed CF.  The installer or updated created all of the arguments.
Should be noted I did switch the java.home to java.home=C:/DevTools/jdk1.7.0_06/jre

Andrew Penhorwood

Charlie Arehart

Sep 20, 2012, 3:36:55 PM9/20/12
to fusio...@googlegroups.com

While you await any other reply from Intergral, Andrew, I would ask: have you switch the java.home back to the default (the JVM within CF)? or at least to a jvm of no greater than 1.6.0_24? That’s the latest edition that CF 9 (which you say you’re using) supports.

(I’m not sure whether FD itself may also have limits on whether it supports debugging a 1.7 JVM. The requirements page (http://www.fusion-debug.com/fd/requirements.cfm) does not list any JVM edition requirement.)

That said, it may have nothing to do with the JVM version. Are you getting the same error that you reported in your first message in this thread? If so, recall that I had offered a few suggestions of things to check. You were going to try those, but we never heard back on that. Can you review and reply to those? It may help us narrow down what’s amiss for you. Since it’s worked for me and for Michael (from Intergral), it sure seems to suggest that there is just some remaining unique config issue on your end.

Here’s the URL for my previous reply with the additional tests to consider:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/fusiondebug/9PWxyghJ7UY

/charlie

Sep 21, 2012, 9:26:22 AM9/21/12
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
charlie,

I agree that it is something with my system but I am not sure what yet.  I have tried some of your suggestions.  I used TCPView from Sysinternals and the port is active and listening but nothing seems to be able to connect to it.  I tried a few telnet clients and they can't connect to it either.  Which leads me to believe that something is blocking access but I turned off the Windows firewall completely.  While I would love to get this to work more pressing matters have limited my time on figuring it out.

Andrew Penhorwood

Charlie Arehart

Sep 21, 2012, 12:24:23 PM9/21/12
to fusio...@googlegroups.com

Understood. But first, did you try setting the JVM back to the default? You don’t say here.

Also, I realize I now I gave the wrong link to my earlier note in my last reply to you. That first reply of mine, with more details, is instead at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/fusiondebug/9PWxyghJ7UY.

As for your testing the port, have any of the tools you’ve used confirmed that it is indeed CF that’s listening on port 8000? You may have something else listening there (though then CF or Railo would not come up if they also tried to listen on that port). BTW, you had referred to stopping one and running the other, but maybe one of them remains running unexpectedly, and your problem could be confusion there. :-)

As for how to see what is listening on that port, you could use Netstat, but a better tool (since you’re on Windows) is Currports (aka cports), a free tool at http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html, which I find indespensible and use at least once a week for some sort of port challenge.

Finally, as for firewalls, well, let’s first see if it is indeed CF or Railo listening on that port. If it’s what you expect, then since you say you’re working on the same machine, are you saying when you telnet on that machine to that port, you can’t connect? Are you saying a telnet localhost 8000 says “could not open connection to the host”? That would seem really odd, if indeed one of these is listening on that port.

I appreciate what you have little time. Just reply when you have time.

/charlie

Sep 23, 2012, 8:43:38 PM9/23/12
to fusio...@googlegroups.com
I got it to work by changing the JVM back to stock in ColdFusion.  There are issues with the JVM related to calendars or something.  I don't recall at the moment why I switched JVM but it was do to a security alert by Qualys Guard (http://www.qualys.com/enterprises/qualysguard/).

Andrew Penhorwood

Charlie Arehart

Sep 24, 2012, 2:28:37 PM9/24/12
to fusio...@googlegroups.com

Good to hear. Thanks for the confirmation.

/charlie

On Friday, September 21, 2012 12:24:32 PM UTC-4, charlie arehart wrote:

Understood. But first, did you try setting the JVM back to the default? You don’t say here.

<snip>