Does each instance need its own Database?

Brook Davies

Feb 14, 2012, 3:14:40 PM2/14/12
to fusiona...@googlegroups.com
Does each instance of FA need its own database?

Brook

Darren Pywell

Feb 14, 2012, 4:30:05 PM2/14/12
to FusionAnalytics
Hi Brook,

No. You just need to add a data collector for each instance. A data
collector typically maps to an FR instance, but do not reuse a data
collector for different FR instances or send data from more than one
instance to a single data collector.

http://docs.intergral.com/display/FA101/How+FusionAnalytics+Is+Organized

To add a data collector, go into FADC -> Applications. Stop the
application you want to send data too and then select Configure. In
the application configuration you can add data collectors, one per
instance.

In FusionReactor on the FusionAnaytics target you enter the
application but a different data collector. It's a good idea to name
the data collectors with the names of the instances supplying the
data. So a cluster of servers/instances will typically use the same
application and one data collector per FR instance set up on that
application. We will be enhancing FusionAnalytics to show analytics
across the whole cluster. You can collect the data already however and
see the instances individually at the moment.

Note that in FusionReactor you can even send the data to more than one
target (application/data collector). In that way you could supply the
data to a short term FusionAnalytics app/DB and a long term app/db if
you like.

Hope that helps,
Darren

Brook Davies

Feb 14, 2012, 5:54:00 PM2/14/12
to fusiona...@googlegroups.com
Hi Darren,

Okay, now I am a little confused. I bought 3 FA licenses thinking I need one for each of my 3 CF servers for which I have 3 FR licenses.  It sounds like I only need 1 license of FA, possibly setup to run on its own seperate server (I don't need FR or CF on that server at all do I?). Is that right?

So let me see if I have this straight:

1. Setup a new server (a VM in my case..) for Fusion Analytics with nothing on it but FA.
2. Setup a single database on our DB server for FA to log data from ALL FR instances (this is actually 3 production servers and 2 dev servers with FR installed)
3. Setup an 'application' in FA for my production server cluster and my development server cluster and add a dataCollector for each FR/CF instance
4. In FR map each instance to its corresponding application and unique data collector

Does this sound right? I hope to set this up tonight or tomorrow...

Brook

Darren Pywell

Feb 14, 2012, 6:36:09 PM2/14/12
to FusionAnalytics
Hi Brook,

I would setup two applications. One for production and one for
development and one database for each. I wouldn't mix the data from
the production servers and the development servers. You're might want
to change things with the development app and database much more than
your production server. From the licensing you probably aren't wrong
because you get a certain number of data collectors per FA license so
you will probably be about right.

One thing that we've found is that users often underestimate the
amount of data that can be collected into the database. I would really
recommend you to keep an eye on the size of the database and make sure
that the VM has enough disk space. We've found that some customers
have run out of disk space and then had to reload the DB afterwards.

So by step:

1. OK
2. Setup 2 databases. One for production and one for development
3. Setup two applications, production and development using the
respective databases
4. Yep, that sounds good.

Cheers,
Darren

On Feb 14, 11:54 pm, Brook Davies <brooks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Darren,
>
> Okay, now I am a little confused. I bought 3 FA licenses thinking I need
> one for each of my 3 CF servers for which I have 3 FR licenses.  It sounds
> like I only need 1 license of FA, possibly setup to run on its own seperate
> server (I don't need FR or CF on that server at all do I?). Is that right?
>
> So let me see if I have this straight:
>
> 1. Setup a new server (a VM in my case..) for Fusion Analytics with nothing
> on it but FA.
> 2. Setup a single database on our DB server for FA to log data from ALL FR
> instances (this is actually 3 production servers and 2 dev servers with FR
> installed)
> 3. Setup an 'application' in FA for my production server cluster and my
> development server cluster and add a dataCollector for each FR/CF instance
> 4. In FR map each instance to its corresponding application and unique data
> collector
>
> Does this sound right? I hope to set this up tonight or tomorrow...
>
> Brook

David Stockton

Feb 15, 2012, 6:35:22 AM2/15/12
to FusionAnalytics
Hello Brook,

Further to Darren's comments, FA is licensed per data-collector -
which typically would map 1-to-1 with each analysed CF instance. I
wasn't sure from your comments if you have 3 or 5 instances you're
monitoring. If you have 3 instances then your FA licence will be
enough. If you have 5 then you would need to upgrade from the "M" (3
instance) to the "L" (5 instance) pack.

If you have any licensing/upgrade/purchasing queries, please contact
our sales team sa...@fusion-reactor.com

Best regards,
David Stockton
Fusion Support Team

Brook Davies

Feb 16, 2012, 3:02:14 PM2/16/12
to fusiona...@googlegroups.com
Got everyting setup last night, thanks for all the help! My production server cluster (3 servers) is now set up with FR and each has their own data collector into FA and a centralized DB. Its a thing of beauty. Got a say, you guys make wicked software! Also, great UI/interface design and a nice polished feel from end to end really seperate you guys from the pack.

Let the load testing begin!

Brook

Darren Pywell

Feb 16, 2012, 4:56:47 PM2/16/12
to FusionAnalytics
Brook,

The FusionAnalytics and FusionReactor teams work very hard on the
products and it really means something to us when a customer takes the
time to write such kind words. We have a whole load of amazing stuff
in development and we are really looking forwards to making them
available in the future releases :-)

Truly Appreciated,
Darren

On Feb 16, 9:02 pm, Brook Davies <brooks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Got everyting setup last night, thanks for all the help! My production
> server cluster (3 servers) is now set up with FR and each has their own
> data collector into FA and a centralized DB. Its a thing of beauty. Got a
> say, you guys make wicked software! Also, great UI/interface design and a
> nice polished feel from end to end really seperate you guys from the pack.
>
> Let the load testing begin!
>
> Brook
>
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 3:35 AM, David Stockton

Brook Davies

Feb 16, 2012, 6:02:16 PM2/16/12
to fusiona...@googlegroups.com
I think its the best flex/adobe air app I have every seen hands down. From your installers, to web ui, the flex/air app - everything is freakin brillant! And I know how hard it is to marry good design and good programming. You must have some amazing people on your staff!!

Brook

Charlie Arehart

Feb 16, 2012, 6:15:57 PM2/16/12
to fusiona...@googlegroups.com

I can attest that they do, indeed. :-) Besides being great developers and designers, they’re great at customer service and support, and are just plain great people. It’s always a pleasure when my wife and I have the opportunity to visit with them in Germany on occasional visits.

/charlie