FADC and FADS Setup Best Practices

Michael Carroll

Dec 20, 2013, 9:44:20 AM12/20/13
to fusiona...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking for some help with the best practices setting up our FA environment.

We have 2 environments for STAGING and PROD. On PROD we have 2 web servers that are load balanced and STAGING has 1 web server. I'm trying to determine the best practice for Data Collector and Data Service apps.

Here is what I have configured so far:

FADC Apps:
1. StagingFADC
w/ faDataCollector-Staging-01
2. ProdFADC
w/ faDataCollector-Prod-01 and faDataCollector-Prod-02

FADS Apps:
1. StagingFADS - Points to StagingFADC
2. ProdFADS - Points to ProdFADC

Should I keep the 2 PROD servers to each have a separate data collector? Or have the 2 PROD servers point to a single data collector? And how would this affect the FA Dashboard for viewing the request/DB?

Any advice?

Thanks for the help.

David Stockton

Dec 20, 2013, 9:50:16 AM12/20/13
to fusiona...@googlegroups.com
Hello Michael,

Each instance MUST have a separate data-collector; you will corrupt the data if you don't and it's also a licensing restriction. However, I'd recommend you keep them in the same single FADC/FADS app and use the "Manage Clusters" configuration page to tell FA that the two data-collectors for PROD are to be considered a cluster.
The "FA Dashboard" (assuming you're referring to the "Overview" page) would then let you see an overview for either:
  • Staging-01 instance
  • Prod-01 instance
  • Prod-02 instance
  • Prod (01 & 02) cluster
Under the deep analytics for the cluster you'll also then get extra options for either aggregating or comparing the instances in the cluster (eg you may want to know what the total heap usage was, or you may want to compare heap usage between the two).

Best regards,
David Stockton
Fusion Team

Michael Carroll

Mar 10, 2014, 8:50:21 AM3/10/14
to fusiona...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dave for the info on this.  We've got the datacollectors setup now and it's working perfect.

I'm having an issue setting up the cluster through the dashboard.  There is a javascript error that gets thrown when I try to add a new cluster.  I've tried multiple browser types and can't get around it.  Do you know if this is a known bug?  Any chance it will be resolved in the next release?

David Stockton

Mar 10, 2014, 9:22:47 AM3/10/14
to fusiona...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mike,

Can you check you're running v2.0.4 of the application please? (Look at the "Application Summary" page of BOTH FADC & FADS for this information).

The desktop AIR client is the "de-facto" client so I'd recommend trying that. However, if you could also send us a screenshot & details of the error to sup...@fusion-reactor.com (our official support channel) we can look into this further.

Best regards,
David Stockton
Fusion Team

Michael Carroll

Mar 17, 2014, 8:16:40 AM3/17/14
to fusiona...@googlegroups.com
We're running v2.0.4.

I downloaded and installed the AIR client but it won't connect.  I'm able to give the server and login info but the connecting dialog just spins.  Do you know if there are any server or firewall settings that are need for the AIR client?  I can login to the web FA dashboard through FF and IE with no problems.

I'll send in the JS error message with setting up the cluster through the web browser to support.

Thanks

Michael Carroll

Mar 17, 2014, 8:32:26 AM3/17/14
to fusiona...@googlegroups.com
My mistake.  I can only connect to the client with the web browser using IE.  FF and Chrome won't connect either.  Do you know if we need to make some changes to servers/firewall?

Thanks.

David Stockton

Mar 17, 2014, 8:45:18 AM3/17/14
to fusiona...@googlegroups.com
Hello Michael,

We've had a report that this could be an issue with the (web & desktop) client software. We're investigating further and I will post back here when there's an update for the connectivity problem.
For clarity, the only port required is the TCP port you use to connect with (default 8400).

Best regards,
David Stockton
Fusion Team